Uncharted Territory
1346 posts

Re: Capture the Flag Feedback

[ Edited ]
Jan 3, 2013

To make it perfectly clear.. I was not complaining.. if this was the ONLY multiplayer mode in the game-- I would still reserve the CE edition of the game, which I already have.  I was simply giving feedback to what I thought about the CTF mode in COMPARISON to the other modes which we have seen thus far.

However, I do think I spoke alittle too soon about a few things.  I played some more matches after my initial post on here about CTF last night and I found the following:

--My next few matches were alot more fun--  when it is 4 v 4 it is definitely insanely better for some reason.. All of my previous matches had been 3 v 3 as it was right when the servers came back up.

--I did not know that you could hold L1 to heal yourself when you have the flag-- this is awsome and added alot of incentive to actually *carry* the flag for me.  also the L1+square and L1+triangle with the flag are really cool as well-- I hadn't used either of these before my first post.

It definitely had a better feel once I found out all of these things.

**The feedback that I still want to put out there though, is that I still think polyphemus should be interacting with us in some way on CTF mode in this map.  I also am really crossing my fingers for some *mode only* maps.  For instance.. if it were me designing the game.. I would make the polyphemus map a Team Favor of the Gods map ONLY.. and I would have several other maps etc for CTF that are specifically designed for that mode.  It is just so incredibly awsome when you get to slice polyphemus' face open in team favor and then in CTF.. he just stands there and nothing even happens when you win- or lose.  The game would definitely have a more *god of war* feel in my opinion if you either made this map team favor only.. or allow interaction with polyphemus during CTF... even if it is just something like him eating the losing team at the end etc.  

Having the scoreboard pop up at the end of the match with no zoom in on the winning team is kind of a let down after the amazing poly kill scene.  Also, in the forum.. It would be nice to see the winner/ winners get to sit beside hercules or something if a certain condition is met etc ..etc...

So... if you guys read my posts and think I am complaining, I am not,  by any means and I am sorry if it came accross that way. The game is freaking amazing just like all of the other GoW's.  Please do not think that I am complaining, as I am simply saying what I think would make the game a better experience.  I say these things in a constructive criticism type of way in hopes that someone high up at SM studios will get wind of it and think *wow, that is a good idea, lets implement that!*

See yall in game :-)

Message 31 of 95 (251 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1346 posts

Jan 3, 2013

Oh yeah one more thing.. I definitely think the enemy team should not be able to be seen off screen via markers... takes alot of fun out of the game :/

Message 32 of 95 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Jan 3, 2013

The map dynamic is fine. The point of the lower level is for players to buff up their defenses, as well as sneak by and get closer. Would you prefer a map where everything is visible and linear? I actually like it, and it allows for some epic sneaking and espionage moments.

The point of having of the flag is that you are SUPPOSED to be weaker!! How challenging would it be if you could sprint? Then you could easily escape your enemies, thus completely taking the skill and strategy out of the mode. You can still dodge, and you can gain life by holding down L1. That is more than enough. ABSOLUTELY NO BUFF IS NEEDED!

But you do not understand, the point of the offscreen marker is so that the opposing team has a chance to kill the other person and reclaim the flag. I have been in a ton of matches where both teams had a flag, therefore neither could score. Without the marker, then there would be absolutely no way to find the person with the flag. The marker is essential, and it would literally make NO sense to take it away.

The mashing is fine as well, specifically since it remains true to the God of War franchise. The mashing adds suspense to the game, because you can literally feel the struggle of you avatar as he pulls the flag from the ground. The length of time is also perfect.

I cannot comment on the 4v4 since I have yet to play it.

Once again, you are complaining for NO reason. The flag capturing is SUPPOSED to be difficult. If you have your way, then ppl will just steal the flag, sprint to their destination, then score whether or not thir falg is present or not. It completely takes away the skill and stratergy. The mode becomes another favor of the gods where you just kill each other.

The only change I would make, is that the hammers spawn WWAAYY to quickly, and I would actually make the flag carrier slower. It is EXTREMELY easy for a flag carrier to dodge an enemy or jump around them, especially if there are ppl protecting them. I have easily outran a player chasing me by jumping and dodging. Looking at the other posts, it would be beneficial for there to be relics instead of flags. It would be really cool if there were different methods to achieve different relics, instead of just mashing circle. The key is to keep the modes spontaneous and fresh, which this would do.

TO THE GAME DEVLOPERS: this mode is very well done. Please do not take the complaints too seriosuly since most of them are coompletley unfounded, and players have found ways around them easily. Leave the indicators, the mashing, and the secret levels as a way to add suspense to the matches. However, a mic option is a necessity for ALL the modes. ALso, Zeus' magic damage needs to be reduces, or at the very least, more armour that accentuates magic defense AND attacks(basically the same as the gladiator armour). Thank you for your hard work.....the beta is amazing.

Message 33 of 95 (233 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jan 3, 2013

Flag Carrier - I think the flag carrier (fc) is fine the way it is (he can heal, stun attack, dodge) and even though he can't sprint, he isn't all that slow, since he can continuously jump and move quicker that way. 

Map - I feel that the distance between the two bases should be longer (I'm picturing a large field). This adds more suspense for the fc, since he has to cover a larger distance, requiring his team to keep him safe. I agree with the above posts that Poly isn't doing much. I didn't even notice him when I played. Get rid of him, or make him do something.

Flag Capturing - I like the idea of having your own flag in your base before being able to capture the enemy flag. Otherwise, why would I have to hunt down and kill the enemy flag carrier if I can just cap their flag without my own? 

Bases - I think that the bases shouldn't be so open. They should be like a fortress where I (if I'm the fc) can hide somewhere in my own base with a few team members while the rest of my team goes and tries to get our flag back. By hiding, I don't mean a locked room where the enemy can't touch me, I just want some walls so that if an entire army storms my fortress, I at least have some walls to run around to stay alive. You can also take advantage of the fortress idea by hiding in your enemy's base, waiting for the enemy flag carrier, and ambushing him just before he caps. 

With the open base, I understand that it should take  longer to pick up the flag. But if the fortress does get implemented, then picking up the enemy's flag should be done with just R1. 

Spawning - I don't like the idea of spawning in random places in CTF. Imagine the following scenario: I'm the fc running to my base with a few team mates. The enemy tries to stop us, so we fight a tough battle and we manage to win, but our health is low. Then, a few seconds later, the people we just killed spawn right in front of us, so we're basically dead. So,  I think that everyone should spawn somewhere near their own base. This evens the battlefield. Perhaps this is where Poly can be useful. By some interaction with the giant beast, a team can advance their spawn location nearer to their enemy's base. 

These are my suggestions so far. Otherwise, CTF is awesome.

Message 34 of 95 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
72 posts

Jan 3, 2013

"Oh yeah one more thing.. I definitely think the enemy team should not be able to be seen off screen via markers... takes alot of fun out of the game :/"

naah I need to use the screen names so I know when to hit someone with the GRAVITY HAMMER BAHAA Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 95 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
739 posts

Jan 3, 2013
To be honest, this game mode is not Team Favor (which is incredibly awesome!). I'm still trying to get used to it. I believe this game mode allows players to "farm" kills entirely too easy. In the few matches that I played, most of the players were just killing each other and what not. No one actually was making an attempt to capture the flag other than myself.

And, the flag carrier is too defenseless in my opinion. This is God of War and God of War has always empowered the player making us feel like the baddest mofos in the world. Lol! But once you capture a flag, it's either dodge or die. Yes, I know you can use the flag to fight somewhat; but, you're incredibly under powered.

I think maybe the flag carrier should be able to use the flag as STRONG weapon, after all, you have to pry it loose like the Spear of Olympus.

I also agree that matches can become insanely unbalanced once a player quits and it's 4v3; as well as the Dessert of Lost Souls map seems to large for CTF (only real reason to go to the bottom level is to get the bonus flag).

What if the fortresses were heavily boobie trapped? Hmmm....
Message 36 of 95 (219 Views)
Wastelander
787 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 3, 2013

Hopefully they will get a party system soon, playing CTF with randoms can be frustrating since half the players dont seem to protect you/ Attack the emeny with our flag/ Dont at all go for the flag. Seems most people are just going around hunting rather than playing CTF. Party system Santa Monica Pleaseee Smiley Very Happy

And those pick up hammers Holy, I personally dont use them but some guys in matches thats all they use. But w.e good practice.

Message 37 of 95 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1346 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 3, 2013

Let me clear up something again.  I don't agree with removing the offscreen marker for the flag carrier regardless if he is on your team or not.  Everyone should always have an offscreen marker for the flag carrier AND the spear of olympus carrier, but in general.. The fact that you can see all of your enemies off screen markers ALL the time is too much...  You should only be able to see your *teamates* off screen all of the time.

Also, I disagree that the desert of lost souls map is too large for CTF.. if anything.. it is too small....  or atleast the gaps between flags are too small.. the map isnt too small-- just the gap between flags.. I am not sure of a solution for this.

I still strongly suggest that you make Polyphemus interact with us in CTF mode, as now that I think about it, that would technically add *distance* between bases.  Because it would be harder to capture flags.

Also some kind of losing / winning animation for characters with or without poly on CTF mode would be awsome

Message 38 of 95 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1499 posts

Jan 3, 2013

It's easy, make Polyphemus attack as in TF so this way teams will have to switch between defense and offense between them, make Poly grab the losing team and eat them....

Signature Quote:
I love Leia, especially the way she extends my staff
Message 39 of 95 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Jan 3, 2013

RichYungThaBest wrote:

The map dynamic is fine. The point of the lower level is for players to buff up their defenses, as well as sneak by and get closer. Would you prefer a map where everything is visible and linear? I actually like it, and it allows for some epic sneaking and espionage moments.

The point of having of the flag is that you are SUPPOSED to be weaker!! How challenging would it be if you could sprint? Then you could easily escape your enemies, thus completely taking the skill and strategy out of the mode. You can still dodge, and you can gain life by holding down L1. That is more than enough. ABSOLUTELY NO BUFF IS NEEDED!

But you do not understand, the point of the offscreen marker is so that the opposing team has a chance to kill the other person and reclaim the flag. I have been in a ton of matches where both teams had a flag, therefore neither could score. Without the marker, then there would be absolutely no way to find the person with the flag. The marker is essential, and it would literally make NO sense to take it away.

The mashing is fine as well, specifically since it remains true to the God of War franchise. The mashing adds suspense to the game, because you can literally feel the struggle of you avatar as he pulls the flag from the ground. The length of time is also perfect.

I cannot comment on the 4v4 since I have yet to play it.

Once again, you are complaining for NO reason. The flag capturing is SUPPOSED to be difficult. If you have your way, then ppl will just steal the flag, sprint to their destination, then score whether or not thir falg is present or not. It completely takes away the skill and stratergy. The mode becomes another favor of the gods where you just kill each other.

The only change I would make, is that the hammers spawn WWAAYY to quickly, and I would actually make the flag carrier slower. It is EXTREMELY easy for a flag carrier to dodge an enemy or jump around them, especially if there are ppl protecting them. I have easily outran a player chasing me by jumping and dodging. Looking at the other posts, it would be beneficial for there to be relics instead of flags. It would be really cool if there were different methods to achieve different relics, instead of just mashing circle. The key is to keep the modes spontaneous and fresh, which this would do.

TO THE GAME DEVLOPERS: this mode is very well done. Please do not take the complaints too seriosuly since most of them are coompletley unfounded, and players have found ways around them easily. Leave the indicators, the mashing, and the secret levels as a way to add suspense to the matches. However, a mic option is a necessity for ALL the modes. ALso, Zeus' magic damage needs to be reduces, or at the very least, more armour that accentuates magic defense AND attacks(basically the same as the gladiator armour). Thank you for your hard work.....the beta is amazing.

epic sneaking? are you kidding me? you have offscreen markers! how in the hell is that supposed to be "epic espionage" if you can see the PSN ID coming towards you? do you even know what you're talking about?

yeah, and your enemies can sprint, and use items, and use magic. i'm not saying you should be able to sprint. i'm saying it takes away TOO MANY functions. items, magic, attack, sprint, block, parry. a good player, while spotting someone with the flag, would sprint and use the teleport item to get real close. so far, only few people do that because just like before, they still don't know what to do. within a week, the dynamics will change and people will get smarter. yet if you're the flag bearer you won't be able to strategize too much and improve as much because you can't do **bleep** do begin with. the most efficient strategy is abusing the right analog stick because it gives you i-frames but a good player will overcome that easily.

YOU are the one who doesn't understand. i'm not talking about the "Attack" and "Protect" markers. i'm talking about seeing everyone else's PSN IDs all the goddamn time. so stop blabbering about things that are SUPPOSED to work. i mean, who the hell would complain about the flag markers? NO ONE.

adds suspense? we don't even know if the faster you mash, the shorter it will take for you to pull the thing out. i find that it doesn't matter whether you mash the buttons as fast as you can or mash them as you normally would, so where the hell is the suspense in that? it's as suspenseful as holding the R1 button and waiting for it to come off, assuming mashing faster or slower doesn't really do anything and it's just a waiting game /"just continuously tap O" rather than "tap O like your life depended on it". i find that the former applies more rather than the latter.

what??! how is it going to be "just like" Favour of the gods when kills don't really net you any points in this mode? what SM is doing is the ones that are taking away skill and strategy. i mean, they FORCE confrontation.what's worse is that even if you already have offscreen markers, most noobs don't even go after incoming flag thieves for noobish reasons.

what i don't like about the maps is that, even if there are about 4 different paths between the Flags, they all converge towards the flag bases. meaning. in-between the flags, you can freely choose your path but at the end of those, you would still end up in the same intersection. so if you're someone who wants to stop the flag thief from going to his base, the only logical area to go to is just outside the altars and not follow the thief swerving in and out of the branching pathways. why? because in the end he has to go to his altar anyway, so instead of stopping him midway, it's much better to wait for him in the area where he'll end up anyway. what i'm trying to say, is that there should be at least another path to the flags where it's possible for someone who's guarding base to at the very least try to anticipate which direction a thief would come from rather than just sitting there facing one direction where all enemies come from. that way, we can sneak behind people and bypass them, and that way, defending the base would be more suspenseful and it'd force you to be more on your toes.

and again, just like Team Favour, no one climbs (or the walls are rarely used as a means of travel). it's not a big deal, but everyone who has played the beta extensively knows there are just those areas where barely anyone goes to.

Message 40 of 95 (157 Views)