Dec 20 2012
By: Shinigami187 Monster Hunter 42 posts
Accepted Solution

Button Smashing.

35 replies 187 views Edited Dec 20, 2012

So I've been playing this game for a few days now and I just really hate how any 1 can just start pressing buttons and do a 50hit combo on me and I just drop from like 100 to like 10. Not sure how to even counter, block or do anything to even scale with this. Would like to get better but the terrible matchmaking and the none stop **bleep** whoppings im getting is really making me wanan throw my controller to my tv even though combo games are my least favorite games. Is there's some sort of secret button smashing im not used to or some sort of guide for combos? 

Message 1 of 36 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
787 posts

Re: Button Smashing.

Dec 20, 2012

I dont think you are playing the right game, there is no button mashing here. You have to be read your enemy and attack smart, dont just run in there swords blazing, back off a bit if you're getting stressed and find what works for you. 

If you are just starting playing I wouldnt worry to much, as alot of us sucked when we first started. Just keep at it and when you die think of what you should have done instead of how much you suck.

Stay positive Smiley Happy you will find what works.

Message 2 of 36 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Dec 20, 2012
lol, before getting mad people need to learn how to play the game properly.

It is true, that certain players might be able to do certain things or be resistant to certain things because of connection issues. Some players can't get grappled, can't get hit, etc.

But anyway try this: square, square, triangle (hold), R1

or

square, square, triangle (hold), square, square, square (or replace the last one with a triangle

Those produce some really big combos. On the NPC when you first start your character I launched him up into the air, hit the crap out of him and knocked him away and grappled him and sent him flying back down to the ground. I've tried that many many times but haven't been able to figure out how I did it before (got the idea from the "badass" videos.

You can use items to get out of combos, and when someone hits you with a light combo, before their third attack hits you can push parry in order to break up their combo. But, you can hit triangle after two square pushes and that'll screw up your parry (or theirs if they're comboing you)
Message 3 of 36 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Dec 20, 2012

when you're getting smacked around press L2 to escape (as long as the ability is ready) L1+x to parry quick attacks and other than that just dodge. You certainly just can't mash buttons to do combos experiment and find out what works best for you. Hopefully they'll have a practice mode in the full game release

Message 4 of 36 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2012

vyrsai wrote:

when you're getting smacked around press L2 to escape (as long as the ability is ready) L1+x to parry quick attacks and other than that just dodge. You certainly just can't mash buttons to do combos experiment and find out what works best for you. Hopefully they'll have a practice mode in the full game release

I know the basics but it just seems they can pull off all the combos while im here trying to figure things out and the matchmaking isn't helping at all. dont see why basic features shouldn't be implemented.

Message 5 of 36 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2012

DelSol-97- wrote:

I dont think you are playing the right game, there is no button mashing here. You have to be read your enemy and attack smart, dont just run in there swords blazing, back off a bit if you're getting stressed and find what works for you. 

If you are just starting playing I wouldnt worry to much, as alot of us sucked when we first started. Just keep at it and when you die think of what you should have done instead of how much you suck.

Stay positive Smiley Happy you will find what works.

stuff like this and mvc3, street fighterxtekken im usually bad at but i dont think i'll have the patience to give this anymore game time unless they really add some sort of tutoral, practice mode. 

Message 6 of 36 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2012

Goldhawk1 wrote:
lol, before getting mad people need to learn how to play the game properly.

It is true, that certain players might be able to do certain things or be resistant to certain things because of connection issues. Some players can't get grappled, can't get hit, etc.

But anyway try this: square, square, triangle (hold), R1

or

square, square, triangle (hold), square, square, square (or replace the last one with a triangle

Those produce some really big combos. On the NPC when you first start your character I launched him up into the air, hit the crap out of him and knocked him away and grappled him and sent him flying back down to the ground. I've tried that many many times but haven't been able to figure out how I did it before (got the idea from the "badass" videos.

You can use items to get out of combos, and when someone hits you with a light combo, before their third attack hits you can push parry in order to break up their combo. But, you can hit triangle after two square pushes and that'll screw up your parry (or theirs if they're comboing you)

It doesn't take me long to get the hang of games but to deal with no tutorials, practice mode, nothing to help any 1 out is really a b it ch move to do lol. Will try ur combos out and see how i do.

Message 7 of 36 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Shinigami187 wrote:
@goldhawk1 it doesn't take me long to get the hang of games but to deal with no tutorials, practice mode, nothing to help any 1 out is really a **bleep** move to do lol. Will try ur combos out and see how i do.

Well, truth be told they did mess up on the tutorial system.  After you get your basic tutorial done they kind of nudge you to go out and start fighting but then have a chance to start an "advanced tutorial" kind of hidden away but it's really a necessity if you want to kill anyone. 

Then on top of that you can't even redo the tutorial or anything. 

Another thing that sucks is each weapon has different specials (that's not the part that sucks) but you can't actually test it until you're in battle and even at that you still could be in the dark about what the specials do. 

Message 8 of 36 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Dec 20, 2012

keep in mind. it's a private beta. changes are inevitable the gods wouldn't have it any other way...

but yes, read through our other posts, we've offered alot of suggestions to help you out on the battlefield so your not enticed to rage quit and throw your controller at the screen.

Message 9 of 36 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Dec 20, 2012

It really is a matter of patience. This is a beta, we were all thrown into this with nothing but the brief tutorial to teach us. I got the crap kicked out of me in the start (still do occasionally) but now I know what I'm doing and take it out on the new players lol.

Message 10 of 36 (154 Views)
0 Likes