Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Keyblade Wielder
9691 posts

Re: Armor Longevity?

Jan 31, 2013

kb4983 wrote:

- Then you use the armor acquired at the higher level in battle and level it up. An easy way to remedy the issue you seem to have could be:

All the armor/weapons obtained at a lower level have more levels than armor acquired at higher levels. Stay with me on this...

This way, all the armor/weapons, lower and higher level would have similiar stats at Level 1 (armor obtained at a higher level can of course still have a tiny bit better Level 1 stats) but if the player chose to, they could take the lower level items and level them up to where they would be useable as a higher level player.

It would take longer than leveling a high level weapon but that's the point. A player could work at it and keep their favorites if their favorites were indeed acquired at a lower level.

Example:

Lower Level Helm (Player likes look of better)

Level 1: 130 Physical Resist

Level 2: 140 Physical Resist

Level 3: 150 Physical Resist

Level 4: 160 Physical Resist

Level 5: 170 Physical Resist

Higher Level Helm (Player doesn't favor the look of)

Level 1: 150 Physical Resist

Level 2: 160 Physical Resist

Level 3: 170 Physical Resist

The High Level Helm would start higher but if a player wanted to pursue the better looking armor acquired earlier in their progression it would be their choice to do so!

And maybe (like FieryCaptain was discussing) you have to reach a certain Champion level/all armor must be Max Level before you can unlock Levels 4 and 5 for the earlier weapon/armor.

- Barely incentive? Leveling up your Champion will do the following:

Earn Skill Points. Skill Points help you to...

Magic - Not only buy an initial Magic Spell but level it up several times as well. Who knows how many there will be.

Relics - Not only buy an initial Relic but level it up several times as well. Who knows how many there will be.

Items - Not only buy an initial Item but level it up several times as well. Who knows how many there will be.

Maybe even used to unlock weapons.

Maybe even used to unlock armor.

Maybe even more we don't know of.

I don't know about you, but that seems like a lot to me. :smileyhappy:

- No need to get disgusted bud, this is just a game after all. ;P

- The problem is "cooler looking" armor is totally subjective. Say the best armor for a Hades Champion the way a certain player plays him is the Phobos armor. If that player were me, I would be disappointd I couldn't use better looking armor because I'm not too fond of the look of the Phobos armor.

Why should I be stuck using armor I think makes my Champion looks like crap? This is an MMO problem that I really hope isn't in this game.

I think my solution above would work pretty darn well. Obviously others may be able to pick it apart but I think it's a pretty solid idea!

that system would balance it out, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.  Most games nowadays the higher level you get, you want to feel rewarded for the effort you put into the game.  You would barely even have any reward for all the time you put into leveling up.  

That being said, it'd make more sense for higher level gear to have higehr levels rather than lower levels having higher levels.  

If the game was built around the idea that everyone is on fair and equal terms all throughout, then I wouldn't have a problem with this.  Uncharted 2 was the same way.  No matter what level you were, you were pretty much on the same level as everyone else, but every match felt like a battle.  You were fighting over power weapons, fighting over positions on the map, etc.  

Games like this and probably like 99% of games made nowadays is built around an RPG or MMO style leveling system or progression system and if you're going to go that route, don't just go half way then give up.  

Playing the ascension beta I was HELLA bored with the low amount of levels and equips.  I want to keep getting stronger and if I like armor at lower levels, I could equip it just for the hell of it or deal with the fact that you can't always use the same gear.  This goes for almost every game ever made.  They aren't going to redo their whole armor system because you want to use a cool helmet or really like a top.  

Even if they did do this, what would the higher level armor even be like?  Just dumbed down versions of older armor?  This game doesn't have a huge crazy stats system, just a few stats and that's it.  Eventually you'll have to overlap stats with armor (such as the gladiator armor analogy) and you'll be back to square 1. 

I wouldn't mind however, being able to "reskin" your character.  I'll admit I like the gladiator helm and wouldn't mind using that at higher levels but I'm assuming it'll have low stats so being able to have an armor 'skin' over the top of the armor of your choice.  This is similar to your idea, but different in the fact that you can still have the stats of any armor you want.  Instead of getting rid of certain stats or lowering vs raising, you could have say a 45 defense, 150 magic defense helmet on, but it'd look like a gladiator helmet.  

The incentive to level isn't much.  It'll probably be more worth it at launch, but in the beta it was boring because all the spells, items and relics I used were unlocked early in the game, and didn't offer that much of an advantage when leveled up so it's not like I was in a hurry to level them up.  Like I said it might be different, but the current model we had to play with was so insanely lacking because leveling up was so useless.  It was boring, because you couldn't unlock greater gear, and most of the stuff you could use from level 1-30 was good at level 30 even though you unlocked it at level 2-5 which is just ridiculous.  Having the same model in this game would bore the ever loving **bleep** out of me, idk about anyone else but I wouldn't be able to play this game very long.  

I know what you mean about the look of higher level armor, but the odds of it looking worse seems like it'd be pretty unlikely for a game like this.  

If it were a problem however, the "reskin" feature would be nice, but lets talk about your scenario.  There's no way most sets of armor in this game will have the same stats.  That'd completely ruin the entire point of having more sets of armor.  But just for a sec lets talk about the phobos analogy.  Say phobos is... 45 defense, 45 magic defense, 5 hp, 5 mp.  Obviously not the stats, but then lets say the armor of hades is 45 defense, 45 magic defense.  

What I mean by this is they aren't going to give higher level stats the same exact stats as lower level armor.  Even if your idea was implemented it would make the higher level set completely and utterly useless and have no point in it even being in the game.  It might be likely that some sets have stats closely related but eventually armor sets are going to deviate from what we've seen and will probably start getting more complicated. 

Message 21 of 28 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
253 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

@goldhawk81

"Games like this and probably like 99% of games made nowadays is built around an RPG or MMO style leveling system or progression system and if you're going to go that route, don't just go half way then give up. "

Uh, no. I've been playing ALOT of multiplayer shooters and multiplayer action games with integrated leveling systems and the idea of higher level = superior equipment (that's what RPGs and MMOs are) gets as much hate as introducing a pay to play system. Most people just hate playing for the sake of getting new stuff.

Not to mention it would be a bad marketing move. If SSM made it so that higher level = higher gear, newcomers and casual gamers would be immensely turned off by the MMO style aspect where "grinding" is rewarded.

I see where you're coming from but you're in the minority. Most gamers hate the idea of grinding for better gear. I can see people playing this game for the unique (and fun) multiplayer gameplay/combat system. I really don't see them playing for hours for the sake of getting better gear.

To sum it up this is an action multiplayer game, not an RPG/MMO

---

"If the game was built around the idea that everyone is on fair and equal terms all throughout, then I wouldn't have a problem with this. Uncharted 2 was the same way. No matter what level you were, you were pretty much on the same level as everyone else, but every match felt like a battle. You were fighting over power weapons, fighting over positions on the map, etc. "

^THAT's how it should be. Spot on on that description.

Message 22 of 28 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9691 posts

Jan 31, 2013

carnifex49 wrote:

@goldhawk81

"Games like this and probably like 99% of games made nowadays is built around an RPG or MMO style leveling system or progression system and if you're going to go that route, don't just go half way then give up. "

Uh, no. I've been playing ALOT of multiplayer shooters and multiplayer action games with integrated leveling systems and the idea of higher level = superior equipment (that's what RPGs and MMOs are) gets as much hate as introducing a pay to play system. Most people just hate playing for the sake of getting new stuff.

Not to mention it would be a bad marketing move. If SSM made it so that higher level = higher gear, newcomers and casual gamers would be immensely turned off by the MMO style aspect where "grinding" is rewarded.

I see where you're coming from but you're in the minority. Most gamers hate the idea of grinding for better gear. I can see people playing this game for the unique (and fun) multiplayer gameplay/combat system. I really don't see them playing for hours for the sake of getting better gear.

To sum it up this is an action multiplayer game, not an RPG/MMO

---

"If the game was built around the idea that everyone is on fair and equal terms all throughout, then I wouldn't have a problem with this. Uncharted 2 was the same way. No matter what level you were, you were pretty much on the same level as everyone else, but every match felt like a battle. You were fighting over power weapons, fighting over positions on the map, etc. "

^THAT's how it should be. Spot on on that description.

That doesn't change the fact that most are built around that, and I've never not even one time heard that people hate getting stronger through leveling and getting better gear...never...not even once... pay to win systems are 100x worse.  

Why would they be turned off?  How is that any different than CoD, WoW, DOTA 2, battlefield, Uncharted 3 and just about every other game out there?  Games like CoD sell millions every single year...break records even and that's all about level up and getting better crap.  They'd be turned off by a "grind" system for sure, unless it wasn't an insane grind, and there was an end goal worth while.  We'll have high levels no matter what, and what's the point of people pushing and grinding for so long just to get gear that's equivalent to gear at level 1?  

You're right, this isn't an MMO, which is why the whole "grind" will be thrown out the window.  You don't need to quest your arse off, you don't need to mob.  You just do well in a match and get rewarded EXP for doing so.  While doing so, you'll slowly earn rewards for your work and will get stronger and stronger.  Without this concept, the only thing going on for the beta is "play some games if you want."  There's no motivation.  

@uncharted 2 paragraph

Well, the game was built around that mindset.  God of War has never been about that mindset.  In SP you've always gotten stronger and stronger with more and more gear.  You could choose not to, but the whole point of the game play is to.  

Right from the get go you realize that god of war MP is about getting stronger as you progress through the game.  

Message 23 of 28 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Jan 31, 2013

FieryCaptain wrote:

FieryCaptain wrote:

I'd make it so that any armor piece in general can have let's say a gem that takes the stats of another different piece and applies it to the armor. That way anyone can mix and match armor sets if they like the look but don't like the current stats.

This of course would take place after you've unlocked all armor pieces in the game and have them all at level 3.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/God-of-War-Ascension-Multiplayer/incentive-to-use-other-armor...

This idea would pretty much give both sides what they want.  You need to put your dues in leveling things up as you should have to and you would still be able to wear what you wanted in the end. Putting in some work to get what you want isn't so bad if you get what you want in the end. +1 Kudos for you FieryCaptain  this is simple and you still work for it.

Game genres take examples of each other so it doesn't matter that this isn't an RPG. If they didn't start taking ideas from other types of games we'd still be stuck with Mario for single player and Phantasy Star ( or something like that was RPG from Nintendo)   For instance CoD keeps being mentioned, it has NOTHING to do with the game play of GoW. CoD had levels , and you unlocked higher stats weapons and had to level your perks also.

In true GoW style the farther you progress the better equipment you get though.

Message 24 of 28 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9691 posts

Jan 31, 2013
Fiery's would make more sense logically rather than just my idea of "reskinning" which could be pretty complicated. Actually have some form of enchant that you can put on the armor of your choice with the stats of your choice. Of course said stats would come from another piece of armor in the same category.

Though I honestly believe that SSM will not fail to deliver sexy **bleep** armor at higher levels. The higher tier zeus/ares weapons are freakin AMAZING as it is, I can't wait to see what they've got in store.
Message 25 of 28 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
253 posts

Jan 31, 2013
"Why would they be turned off? How is that any different than CoD, WoW, DOTA 2, battlefield, Uncharted 3 and just about every other game out there? Games like CoD sell millions every single year...break records even and that's all about level up and getting better crap. They'd be turned off by a "grind" system for sure, unless it wasn't an insane grind, and there was an end goal worth while. We'll have high levels no matter what, and what's the point of people pushing and grinding for so long just to get gear that's equivalent to gear at level 1? "

No no. In those games, the higher your level the more equipment you have. But it doesn't render the early unlocks obsolete.

For instance in CoD and BF3, the high level unlocks are still an equal match for the first level unlocks.

I'm not saying that high level gear should be equal to low level gear, but rather more flashy and unique in terms of abilities and stats. Lower level gear I'd imagine would be straightforward and generic while high level gear would have certain unique niches BUT wouldn't have TOO many advantages over early unlocks that would make them obsolete.

What I'm saying is that if there are two equally skilled players that fought, one with level 1o gear vs another with level 30 gear, the results should be a 50% w/l for both instead of the level 30 guy beating the level 10 guy everytime because of superior gear.
He could have gear that has crazier abilities, but stuff that doesn't totally trump the other guys' gear.
Message 26 of 28 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
388 posts

Jan 31, 2013

@ Goldhawk

Ugghh our responses are getting massively long lmao!

Goldhawk1 wrote:

that system would balance it out, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.  Most games nowadays the higher level you get, you want to feel rewarded for the effort you put into the game.  You would barely even have any reward for all the time you put into leveling up.

- In my eyes Ascension is not like most games. From playing the beta I learned the leveling system isn't focused on your Champions level progression. Barely any other game I've seen puts more emphasis on a player leveling up their weapons/armor than on the character themselves like Ascension does. You instead get rewarded for leveling up your weapons and armor.

You're right, most other games do reward you for a higher Character Level. Ascension does this too, but to a much lesser extent. It rewards you more for focusing on weapons, armor and abilities.

Example: If I just leveled up my Champion in the beta with default weapon and never spent any Skill Points on anything or chose any armor, I literally wouldn't be raising stats character-wise. It would all be weapon stats I was gaining.

The weapon I would of used to get to level 30 would be level III (and I would have minor boosts to only 1 or 2 stats from the weapon) but nothing else would have changed on my character stat-wise. Ascension doesn't work where Level 1 you have 80 Health and Level 5 you have 100 Health so on and so forth.

The Champion would still have the same Health, same Physical Resist, same starter Item and Magic Attack, etc... All the stats in this game get increased through the armor and weapons you choose. Not your Champions level. Unless this changes in the final release, this is how Ascension deals with Character Progression. This is different from other games and I like that!

Ascension does reward Character Level by giving your Champion Skill Points for every level earned but if you don't spend them there is nothing gained by leveling up your Champion except for gaining access to things restricted by level. But again if you're not wearing any armor, your stats at Level 30 remain the same as they were at Level 1 (minus of course, the minor stats gained from your weapon leveling up). A Level 30 naked Champion with no Skill Points spent and no armor equipped has essentially the same stats as a Level 1 Champion.

That being said, it'd make more sense for higher level gear to have higehr levels rather than lower levels having higher levels.

- If armor gained at a higher level had more levels or opportunities to gain more levels than the earlier earned armors, the earlier armor would not be able to catch up to the stats gained by using the newer armor thus defeating the purpose of being able to add more level progression to earlier weapons and making it so those earlier weapons become obsolete again.

If the game was built around the idea that everyone is on fair and equal terms all throughout, then I wouldn't have a problem with this.  Uncharted 2 was the same way.  No matter what level you were, you were pretty much on the same level as everyone else, but every match felt like a battle.  You were fighting over power weapons, fighting over positions on the map, etc.

Games like this and probably like 99% of games made nowadays is built around an RPG or MMO style leveling system or progression system and if you're going to go that route, don't just go half way then give up.

- Uncharted is based around your Character Level though. Correct me if I'm wrong but Uncharted doesn't give you stat boosts based soley on what shirt and pants your character is wearing, or what assault rifle you stick with. Again, Ascensions Multiplayer is different.

Playing the ascension beta I was HELLA bored with the low amount of levels and equips.  I want to keep getting stronger and if I like armor at lower levels, I could equip it just for the hell of it or deal with the fact that you can't always use the same gear.  This goes for almost every game ever made.  They aren't going to redo their whole armor system because you want to use a cool helmet or really like a top.

- Yeah totally, I'm right there with you. But the Beta didn't even have a quarter of the content of the final game, so of course it was easy to become bored quickly. And yes, if it ends up that I have to take a stat hit in order to wear earlier armor that I like better, then I'm fine with that. But this forum is for posting feedback based off of our Beta experience. I don't expect them to change the way the whole armor system works because I want to use a "cool helmet" but again this forum is for feedback and I wanted to express I think it would be a good feature if earlier Armors wouldn't become obsolete.

Even if they did do this, what would the higher level armor even be like?  Just dumbed down versions of older armor?

-No of course not. Armor earned at a higher level would be exactly what they were in the beta. Even if two armor sets used the same pair of stats (Athena Armor, Morpheus Armor). They would be different amounts (Morpheus having drastically more Elemental Resist versus Athenas). Nothing would be taken away from the armor earned later in progression.

The point is, if I acheive something hard like maxing out all the armors for my Champion, I would be able to go back to earlier armors incase I really wanted to use one over a armor piece unlocked at a later time.

I wouldn't mind however, being able to "reskin" your character.  I'll admit I like the gladiator helm and wouldn't mind using that at higher levels but I'm assuming it'll have low stats so being able to have an armor 'skin' over the top of the armor of your choice.  This is similar to your idea, but different in the fact that you can still have the stats of any armor you want.  Instead of getting rid of certain stats or lowering vs raising, you could have say a 45 defense, 150 magic defense helmet on, but it'd look like a gladiator helmet.

- The reskin idea wouldn't work in my opinion because it would be extremely misleading. If you were using a helm skin of the Gladiator Helm yet it had the benefits of the Skorpian Armor, as an opponent, I wouldn't know you would have armor with better Cooldown stats.

The incentive to level isn't much.  It'll probably be more worth it at launch, but in the beta it was boring because all the spells, items and relics I used were unlocked early in the game, and didn't offer that much of an advantage when leveled up so it's not like I was in a hurry to level them up.  Like I said it might be different, but the current model we had to play with was so insanely lacking because leveling up was so useless.  It was boring, because you couldn't unlock greater gear, and most of the stuff you could use from level 1-30 was good at level 30 even though you unlocked it at level 2-5 which is just ridiculous.  Having the same model in this game would bore the ever loving **bleep** out of me, idk about anyone else but I wouldn't be able to play this game very long.

- Everything unlocked so quickly because they needed everyone to be able to try out different combinations of stuff so we could really test things out. If everyone was level 30 and still only had 2 full sets of armor unlocked it would've been a waste of resources.

I know what you mean about the look of higher level armor, but the odds of it looking worse seems like it'd be pretty unlikely for a game like this.  

If it were a problem however, the "reskin" feature would be nice, but lets talk about your scenario.  There's no way most sets of armor in this game will have the same stats.  That'd completely ruin the entire point of having more sets of armor.  But just for a sec lets talk about the phobos analogy.  Say phobos is... 45 defense, 45 magic defense, 5 hp, 5 mp.  Obviously not the stats, but then lets say the armor of hades is 45 defense, 45 magic defense.

- I'll use an example using one real item from the Beta versus a made up item:

Ares Champion so the player wants to boost their Physical Power.

Torso Gladiator Armor (Player likes look of better)

Level 3 (MAX): Physical Power - 70   Physical Resist - 80

(Only unlocked once you have MAX Level with every armor set or some other equally rugged task)

Level 4: Physical Power - 80   Physical Resist - 85

Level 5: Physical Power - 90   Physical Resist - 90

Torso Battle Armor of Testicles (pronounced like Hercules ;P lol)

Level 3 (MAX): Physical Power - 90   Physical Resist - 90

My point is, it would be a nice feature to be able to just stick with the Gladiator armor and level it up if the player doesn't like the look (or the name ;P) of the top tier piece of armor.

What I mean by this is they aren't going to give higher level stats the same exact stats as lower level armor.  Even if your idea was implemented it would make the higher level set completely and utterly useless and have no point in it even being in the game.  It might be likely that some sets have stats closely related but eventually armor sets are going to deviate from what we've seen and will probably start getting more complicated. 

- It wouldn't make the higher sets useless if you liked the look of a helm better than I did. That's the point of keeping the old armors from becoming obsolete, options!

Say both our Ares Champions are using the same Armors from an Armor Set standpoint.

Meaning:

Gladiator, Battle Armor of Ares and Skorpian Armor.

We have every piece maxed at level 3 so that is a none issue because the stats from Head to Torso to Legs are all the same within an Armor Set.

Example for the uninitiated:

Gladiator Helm Level 3 = Physical Power - 70  Physical Resist - 80

Gladiator Torso Level 3 = Physical Power - 70  Physical Resist - 80

Gladiator Legs Level 3 =   Physical Power - 70  Physical Resist - 80

Goldhawk Champion:

Skorpian Armor Helm

Battle Armor of Ares Torso

Gladiator Leg Armor

kb4983 Champion:

Gladiator Helm

Skorpian Armor Torso

Battle Armor of Ares Leg Armor

Excluding the weapon each of us chose, we would have the same exact stats but look very different. This is what I'm saying in keeping the early armors from becoming obsolete. Even if there is another "higher level" armor piece with the same stats, a player may not like the look of that particular armor piece.

Like I said if early armor sets do become obsolete I will be okay with that but I just wanted to throw out the idea that it'd be awesome if all armors could be still be used.

Phew! Too... much... typing... ;P Apologies if anything I typed is too direct or weird sounding. It's rather late haha! Sorry for the long as Hades post too!

Message 27 of 28 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9691 posts

Jan 31, 2013

kb4983 wrote:

@ Goldhawk

Ugghh our responses are getting massively long lmao!

Goldhawk1 wrote:

- In my eyes Ascension is not like most games. From playing the beta I learned the leveling system isn't focused on your Champions level progression. Barely any other game I've seen puts more emphasis on a player leveling up their weapons/armor than on the character themselves like Ascension does. You instead get rewarded for leveling up your weapons and armor.

You're right, most other games do reward you for a higher Character Level. Ascension does this too, but to a much lesser extent. It rewards you more for focusing on weapons, armor and abilities.

Example: If I just leveled up my Champion in the beta with default weapon and never spent any Skill Points on anything or chose any armor, I literally wouldn't be raising stats character-wise. It would all be weapon stats I was gaining.

The weapon I would of used to get to level 30 would be level III (and I would have minor boosts to only 1 or 2 stats from the weapon) but nothing else would have changed on my character stat-wise. Ascension doesn't work where Level 1 you have 80 Health and Level 5 you have 100 Health so on and so forth.

The Champion would still have the same Health, same Physical Resist, same starter Item and Magic Attack, etc... All the stats in this game get increased through the armor and weapons you choose. Not your Champions level. Unless this changes in the final release, this is how Ascension deals with Character Progression. This is different from other games and I like that!

Ascension does reward Character Level by giving your Champion Skill Points for every level earned but if you don't spend them there is nothing gained by leveling up your Champion except for gaining access to things restricted by level. But again if you're not wearing any armor, your stats at Level 30 remain the same as they were at Level 1 (minus of course, the minor stats gained from your weapon leveling up). A Level 30 naked Champion with no Skill Points spent and no armor equipped has essentially the same stats as a Level 1 Champion.

- If armor gained at a higher level had more levels or opportunities to gain more levels than the earlier earned armors, the earlier armor would not be able to catch up to the stats gained by using the newer armor thus defeating the purpose of being able to add more level progression to earlier weapons and making it so those earlier weapons become obsolete again.

- Uncharted is based around your Character Level though. Correct me if I'm wrong but Uncharted doesn't give you stat boosts based soley on what shirt and pants your character is wearing, or what assault rifle you stick with. Again, Ascensions Multiplayer is different.

- Yeah totally, I'm right there with you. But the Beta didn't even have a quarter of the content of the final game, so of course it was easy to become bored quickly. And yes, if it ends up that I have to take a stat hit in order to wear earlier armor that I like better, then I'm fine with that. But this forum is for posting feedback based off of our Beta experience. I don't expect them to change the way the whole armor system works because I want to use a "cool helmet" but again this forum is for feedback and I wanted to express I think it would be a good feature if earlier Armors wouldn't become obsolete.

Even if they did do this, what would the higher level armor even be like?  Just dumbed down versions of older armor?

-No of course not. Armor earned at a higher level would be exactly what they were in the beta. Even if two armor sets used the same pair of stats (Athena Armor, Morpheus Armor). They would be different amounts (Morpheus having drastically more Elemental Resist versus Athenas). Nothing would be taken away from the armor earned later in progression.

The point is, if I acheive something hard like maxing out all the armors for my Champion, I would be able to go back to earlier armors incase I really wanted to use one over a armor piece unlocked at a later time.

- The reskin idea wouldn't work in my opinion because it would be extremely misleading. If you were using a helm skin of the Gladiator Helm yet it had the benefits of the Skorpian Armor, as an opponent, I wouldn't know you would have armor with better Cooldown stats.

- Everything unlocked so quickly because they needed everyone to be able to try out different combinations of stuff so we could really test things out. If everyone was level 30 and still only had 2 full sets of armor unlocked it would've been a waste of resources.

- I'll use an example using one real item from the Beta versus a made up item:

Ares Champion so the player wants to boost their Physical Power.

Torso Gladiator Armor (Player likes look of better)

Level 3 (MAX): Physical Power - 70   Physical Resist - 80

(Only unlocked once you have MAX Level with every armor set or some other equally rugged task)

Level 4: Physical Power - 80   Physical Resist - 85

Level 5: Physical Power - 90   Physical Resist - 90

Torso Battle Armor of Testicles (pronounced like Hercules ;P lol)

Level 3 (MAX): Physical Power - 90   Physical Resist - 90

My point is, it would be a nice feature to be able to just stick with the Gladiator armor and level it up if the player doesn't like the look (or the name ;P) of the top tier piece of armor.

- It wouldn't make the higher sets useless if you liked the look of a helm better than I did. That's the point of keeping the old armors from becoming obsolete, options!

Say both our Ares Champions are using the same Armors from an Armor Set standpoint.

Meaning:

Gladiator, Battle Armor of Ares and Skorpian Armor.

We have every piece maxed at level 3 so that is a none issue because the stats from Head to Torso to Legs are all the same within an Armor Set.

Example for the uninitiated:

Gladiator Helm Level 3 = Physical Power - 70  Physical Resist - 80

Gladiator Torso Level 3 = Physical Power - 70  Physical Resist - 80

Gladiator Legs Level 3 =   Physical Power - 70  Physical Resist - 80

Goldhawk Champion:

Skorpian Armor Helm

Battle Armor of Ares Torso

Gladiator Leg Armor

kb4983 Champion:

Gladiator Helm

Skorpian Armor Torso

Battle Armor of Ares Leg Armor

Excluding the weapon each of us chose, we would have the same exact stats but look very different. This is what I'm saying in keeping the early armors from becoming obsolete. Even if there is another "higher level" armor piece with the same stats, a player may not like the look of that particular armor piece.

Like I said if early armor sets do become obsolete I will be okay with that but I just wanted to throw out the idea that it'd be awesome if all armors could be still be used.

Phew! Too... much... typing... ;P Apologies if anything I typed is too direct or weird sounding. It's rather late haha! Sorry for the long as Hades post too!

It's ok, I always post large posts.  

But the game doesn't focus that much on leveling up your gear.  It seems like you need to level up your gear as much as you do your own character, but much like the character leveling system leveling your gear barely does anything for it.  Except for Ares weapons, that gained 25 damage from level 1 to 3, but even that isn't a huge gain.  Most of the stats are very minor and the abilities added to the gear are also very minor.  It doesn't feel like it's absolutely necessary to level gear.  It feels necessary to get said gear, but to actually level it up is more or less along the lines of progression much like leveling up is.  It feels more like a "here, stick with this until you get high enough level to get another set which you can start leveling up."  As in, you get to a level and unlock a set...and you can keep getting stronger with that set until you get to the actual armor set you want and get even STRONGER with that set.  I believe the leveling up armor/weapons is well...not only a part of god of war since the beginning but to keep you from being bored.  If you unlock stuff and then just have it... that'd make it a lot more bland.  It gives you something to work for.  

Armor is the only means for stats, but look at Ares.  His elemental defense is always awful.  To get better elemental defense, you'd have to get stronger gear.  Imagine if the game wasn't balanced out and Zeus had the ability to 2 shot people constantly with BoZ and Zeus magic.  When I had Magic defense in my build (idr how much) I was getting hit by 50% damage from one special attack.  Take it off, I'm getting hit by like 60% or higher damage.  Freakin insane damage.  Now if you don't have any better elemental defense than that the entire game would be filled with Zeus characters (much like the beta felt) and people just taking advantage of any Ares player they spot.  There would definitely have to be better elemental defense armor to compensate for the high elemental attack.  

I would like ascension to have at least the most minor of stat changes with leveling.  Like you said, level 1 80 health, level 5 100 health.  Though, people would probably get too powerful, and the tier brackets would be misconstrued.  Meaning when the matchmaking system finds players around your level bracket, they're looking for people who would have a lot higher of a stat advantage.  

That was the point of me saying higher level items should have more levels than lower level items, so they can differentiate themselves more.  When I get higher level, I want more content unlocked.  Most games when you get higher level there's less content unlocked...which doesn't make any sense.  You get through the bulk of the game and you're left with little or nothing to do.  It also makes more sense logically that higher level items have greater access to item levels.  Why should weaker gear have a chance to get stronger and stronger, while the stronger gear only level up a tiny bit?  Of course, it would only work for your idea but that won't be in the game.  I'm thinking of what's actually going to be in the game.  Your idea would make sense if that system was in the game, but it's not. 

Actually, they added a stupid stat feature in Uncharted 3 that gives your hats stats but you can choose to turn them off because that's freakin stupid.  But Uncharted isn't a game about stats so the argument is flawed.  I never said Uncharted was about stats, what I said was Uncharted 2 was built around the idea that everyone was even except for getting better and better boosters at higher levels.  Bust most of the more used boosters are at lower levels.  Uncharted 2 was built around map control, and power weapon control.  Ascension is built around stat progression and getting stronger as you level.  As I've said before it wouldn't make much sense to go from level 1 then all the way up to 100 and be using the same weapons/gear that I unlocked at level 1-5.  But there are only so many stats in this game and there already seems to be a ton of sets.  Eventually you'll run into sets with the same stats and will have to start adding additional stats which would render the older or different sets useless.  That would be an ultimate waste of time, and give the MP absolutely no depth if you could do something like that.  I mean, what would be the point of even playing then?  If your most favorite set was a level 5 - 10 set...what would be your motivation to play?  You'd cap out your favorite loadout almost instantly after starting up the MP and there'd be nothing to fuel your need to play the game.  The MP would have no depth either because you could run around like a new player and be whooping people's arse when they're capped out.  With armor progression you'd have urges to get stronger armor and if there truely is nothing at end game (like almost every game out there) then at least you can look back on your accomplishments and enjoy what you've unlocked and use that in combat against other players with a sense of accomplishment.  But if you're at end game with starting gear killing people the only sense of accomplishment you have is that you leveled up to cap...but at that point it's useless because you didn't do anything other than leveling.  There's no sense of accomplishment, there's nothing.  You can just go to another game or even sell Ascension with no regrets because you're not losing anything, you aren't losing something you worked so hard for.  But with higher level armor being much stronger than lower level armor you can feel you accomplished something because..well..you actually did.  You unlocked really powerful gear and that some might not have and run around gloating and whooping arse with your new gear.  

I know it's for feedback, but that has nothing to do with our current conversation.  But you should always expect some form of "stat hit" when using lower level gear over higher level gear.  

You can only mix stats like that (your athena/morpheous example) so much before certain armor starts to become useless.  But the problem with the beta, it didn't have very many unlocks.  Hell, when the actual game comes out, level 20+ could have better gear than what we saw in the beta.  The armor we had was insanely easy to unlock, so I wouldn't be surprised if spells/items/relics were the only things split into the higher levels.  Such as a really powerful relic upgrading at level 5, 10 and 20.  I think the only reason our low level armor even lasted as long as it did (from level 5 to 30) is because they held back higher tier armor, but the armor we all had access to is all tier 1.  I feel this because the armor lasted so long, and if they did have tier 2 armor, they'd have to add a lot of it so that people wouldn't just be using 1 or 2 sets. 

It doesn't really matter what the opponent is wearing though, because even if you did know...what can you do about it?  You can't change your gear in game and even if you could change your gear it's not like you can combat cooldown armor lol.  The only problem I would see with it is the weapon because in order to truely combat someone in a game like this you need to know what weapon they have and what the weapon does so that you know exactly how to fight the person.  That's what I'm more worried about.  But even at that, a couple specials and you should know what they are using.  

It would be nice, but I honestly don't think any developer ever is going to implement a system like this just so people don't have to use a piece of armor they wouldn't like.  Hell, they'd probably be more willing to change the look rather than make low level starter gear just as powerful as testicle armor. That's just the name of the game man.  There's tons of stuff you just  have to put up with in a lot of games.  In Fiesta online a game I was insanely addicted to for years, some of the higher level gear looked really stupid but I used it anyway.  Sure I could buy items to put over the top of it to change it but I didn't always feel like I needed to.  

Let me try to find an example. 

Level 95 fighter armor (I was never a fighter but it works just as well..plus I couldn't find mage armor)

asdf

level 100 armor....

adfs

Looks like poo does it not?  

But I'm doubtful that high level armor will look crappy, and the fact that you made a whole idea on the notion that higher level armor would indeed look crappy kind of makes me think you're underestimating them a bit. 

Message 28 of 28 (144 Views)
0 Likes