Aug 19 2012
By: JediRage First Son 3 posts

Who is the Elephant-Man in the GOW:Ascension E3 trailer?

6 replies 263 views Edited Aug 19, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0EPg1bKQqw

At 0:57, to me, it looks suspiciously like Ganesha, a Hindu god worshipped by nearly a billion people. Are the developers now targetting the gods of religions currently practiced around the world?

If it is indeed Ganesha that is being depicted and the character has to kill it, it is ridiculously offensive. I can only imagine the backlash that it will cause if this is reported in the mainstream news media. 

Message 1 of 7 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11743 posts

Re: Who is the Elephant-Man in the GOW:Ascension E3 trailer?

Aug 19, 2012

From the looks of things, I don't think the elephant is being depicted as anyone specific. Standard enemies are never pointed out during the story, which the E3 trailer was about showing off how the game will play. Kratos just comes along barking at everyone with a name who gets in his way - and his blades usually become the bloodier for it. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 7 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5827 posts

Aug 20, 2012
>who
It's just a stand-in for Minotaurs. Another Major Grunt. The demo showing for it was not good as it only had blockables, but at least it was heavy (undone by CoO style OP stuns via the likes of the 'kick').

It needs a charging gore (be it with a mini-game to reverse or just to launch us into the air for damage *unblockable is better, but unlikely*...or both).

Elephantaur should not replace Minotaurs. We need them to port at least the Labrys Minotaur to GoWIII (but up the air OS and OH damage *maybe adding the 'sweet axe toss' they didn't have, but the guide speaks of*). Can't go without the classics. That's bad form.
Message 3 of 7 (249 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 22, 2012

That still doesn't address the probability of the elephant-man to be perceived as Ganesha (which is quite high). Just calling it a different name such as 'Elephantaur' is a weak attempt at concealing the obvious inspiration for the character. And that too in a game that glories in killing gods? There aren't that many religions in the world that are followed by a nearly a billion people so claiming ignorance is a poor excuse. 

And it isn't a politically-correct-thing. There's a difference between parodying a god or religious character or having the player kill it in an interactive setting such as a video game. 

Message 4 of 7 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5827 posts

Aug 22, 2012
>Ganesha
Pay attention. That's not a boss. This is a major grunt (not even a mini-boss or sub-boss). It simply plays the role of Minotaur. The artist really just liked making Elephant versions of the creature as covered in the blog.

>obvious inspiration
That you imagine they did said research gives them more credit than they deserve.

>glories in killing gods
Dead gods of dead religions.

>billion people
That a deity happens to look like some elephant **bleep** of the Minotaur can't be helped. Lots of fruity half-animals from the East. It is why I didn't support the venue allowing for Persian or Egyptian anything (just Greek/Roman).

I hadn't considered the possible whining of the religious here. I'd only imagined that would prove the case if they actually followed through with their intent to invoke God and then Jesus (GoWII) *getting Abrahamic religions upset even if he wiped out all other deities and bowed to the new monotheistic deity*.

>claiming ignorance
Or rather, not being inspired by the religion (or Berserk *which was inspired by the religion and had plenty of such blasphemy done quite well*) and merely having the imagination of a child with the capability to draw well enough to make the creature 'work' even when it should have just been another Minotaur variant.

>isn't politcally-correct
>politically
Good thing we're not in politics, old boy.

>parodying versus killing
For the easily offended, your words hold no truth. Were Kratos to kill Allah, the tears would be never-ending. They stick to dead gods and even shy away from beating on women (as would be equal treatment with a guy like Kratos).

Asura's Wrath got away with bastardizing and killing Buddhist religious figures. No whining, did I ever hear. And yet you imagine some connection to some elephant-man god and think it should shake the heavens?
Message 5 of 7 (226 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 25, 2012

"GodModeGOD

>parodying versus killing
For the easily offended, your words hold no truth. Were Kratos to kill Allah, the tears would be never-ending. They stick to dead gods and even shy away from beating on women (as would be equal treatment with a guy like Kratos).

Asura's Wrath got away with bastardizing and killing Buddhist religious figures. No whining, did I ever hear. And yet you imagine some connection to some elephant-man god and think it should shake the heavens?

"

If I remember correctly, LittleBigPlanet was modified to remove some obscure Arabic song that was reciting verses from the Quran. And it was changed because of ONE (!) e-mail from some complainant. You know what they say about setting a precedent ...

But of course, Hindus and Buddhists aren't known to make threats so apparently anything goes when taking creative liberties with their religions. 

It's quite clear this is the wrong place to hold this discussion when "... Lots of fruity half-animals from the East ..." is the defence used against a valid concern. 

Goodbye. 

Message 6 of 7 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5827 posts

Aug 26, 2012
>LBP was modified for some Arabic song
>Arabic
Typical, is it not? But you speak of a non-Muslim deity, so nobody will be made to care (though Elephantaur is clearly not said deity as it is a major grunt without a proper name for individuals *to be killed many times*).

>one email
Rather, because the email claimed to be affiliated with the loudest whiners of the time.

>anything goes
>anything
Absolutely are absolutely tricky business. Why don't you prove me wrong? Contact them directly and see how well that goes? Maybe make an online petition.

NOTE: Perhaps complain that the Grunts/Captains are Pan and that murdering a deity of a dead religion is also offensive.

>creative liberties
Speaking of which, Asura's Wrath. No whining at all and we kill basically everyone involved (including ourselves).

>defence
>c
What?

>valid
Nope.

>goodbye
Don't be so easily rendered cross. Let us discuss your run history so that I might make a non-casual out of you. Thicken that hide up too.
Message 7 of 7 (214 Views)
0 Likes