Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Re: Who intends to do challenge runs for this entry?

Jun 23, 2012

>best one

Rather unlikely with GoWII and GoW1 as competetion.  I'd be impressed if it bests GoWIII (which I don't hold in high favor).  Beating GoS seems likely enough.  Easily clearing CoO.

At any rate, you might feel as such in early release.  What you feel after the challenge run remains to be seen.

>Hard

Why Hard?  Why not Very Hard?  We do all official runs on VH and nothing else.  TUGOWU stopped counting runs on lesser settings, noting less than 'NUR' conditions, allowing for alternate costumes and other such things.  More recently we've been discussing a seperate section for such things (another still for pending runs).

>Hera's Chalice

Hotel loved it.  As did we all.

>Apollo

With Hera's Chalice, this costume was nicely balanced out (more so than Fear Kratos by itself *too strong to justify the 10% Armor he has on VH even for lack of mighty collisions*).

I've done VH Apollo PAIN+ w/ Chalice.  Hotel didn't (sadly) have the cosutme from what I recall.  He was only able to do VH PAIN+ w/ Chalice because of it.  As nice as that is (along with the weapon focused PAIN+ runs I did), they don't count (just like NGR+ NUR+ and NBR+ NUR+).  Only NUR+ and PAIN+ (default costume on VH).  It is a feat we recognize, but it is not archived.

What you note is H Apollo w/ Chalice.  The difference between Hard and Very Hard is that the latter takes away 25% Power, halves Armor from Hard, reduces 75% orb worth to 25%, EXP is taken down by 25% and foes are twice as quick to recover/twice as aggressive (which can work in your favor).  I've denoted PAIN+ and what it means elsewhere before.  Heavy restrictions to breed creativity and/or good handling.

If you wer willing to take on even a vanilla case of H using Apollo and the Chalice, I don't see why you could not do a VH NUR (or NUR+) just to dip your foot in the water.  With the right tactics and such, you should be able to easily rise to it.

>satisfying

Part of the reason to do such things as these.

Message 31 of 34 (348 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
230 posts

Jun 30, 2012

I plan on being a little more courageous with this one, I always finish off a GoW game on very hard, only to say that I have, and never try a challenge run again. I would love to do a no upgrade-no magic use-no item use-no damage run, I can definitely Handel it but I may take a while Smiley Frustrated. For a weekend run I will at the very least try a no magic/damage run, and in time a no sub weapon run along with the former. 

I'm not the most creative person in the God of War community but I am a veteran despite my lack of presence on this forum, and my lack of platinums for any of the games. I also did my chaos run for 3 on a different account, I need to sort these things out. In my defense I have a lot of things to attend to which keeps me away from home and subsequently my gaming.  

Back to the point of this thread, I wouldn't mind a challenge from fellow members of the God of War community Smiley Wink 

Message 32 of 34 (347 Views)
Lombax Warrior
230 posts

Jun 30, 2012
BTW, what didn't you like about 3?
Message 33 of 34 (336 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Jun 30, 2012
>more courageous
Good, good.

>VH
A fine start.

>no upgrade
Easy.

>no magic
Easy, but not an official run. Just flavoring.

>no item
If there ARE "items" (GoWIII had these). "Relics" are more common.

>no damage
Bah. Your call.

It's suggested you do a NUR or NUR+. You can work towards the likes of PAIN/PAIN+ later.

>can handle it
>take awhile
Quite so.

>no magic/damage
That's fine, but it is not among our recognize run types. Especially not with regards to what we actually honor (by archiving runners for).

NUR, NUR+, PAIN and PAIN+ only for the latter. The former is a longer list to be sure.

>no subs
Blades ONLY is only a component of PAIN/PAIN+ and isn't actually the hardest option most of the time. Especially if you are using upgrades. Really, if you want to get a foot in the door, but are anxious about being meet to harshly, just do this:

-VH NUR (No Upgrades *disregard EXP*
-Then "VH NUR+" (No Upgrades or Extensions)
NOTE: Extensions refer to longer bars for HP, MP, etc. Keep at base.

>not the most creative
We can't all be. Just one (giving our wording).

>a veteran
If you manage at least a VH NUR, that won't be disputed. VH vanilla is up for jabs, you see. Understandably so in the face of greater challenges surmounted by so many. Also, VH isn't terribly difficult in some entries (with the right upgrades).

>Plats
They mean nothing. That you don't have them doesn't affect my judgement of you. They are progression and joke cases without real challenges among them. They keep them very casual as a selling point.

>things to attend to
Understandable.

>a challenge
Then I have a very simple one for you. Play any GoW entry (even CoO) on VH in a simple NUR. You can use whatever tools you like, collect crap for extensions to your bars, etc. Just don't use EXP to upgrade anything. Just be sure to remember we do not allow any costumes other than default Kratos and it must be on New Game (not NG+/BP) conditions (thus a "fresh" run).

>issues with GoWIII
Quite a lot of them, but then, I have problems with every entry. Some more than others. As a fan, this is natural. As one that has invested so much time and effort into the series, it is no surprise I know so much to like (and to dislike).

To give one (among many) grievance, the change to collision damage calculations is horse s***. GoW1 and GoWIII took the default of full/half cases at 10/5 (respectively) and made them inverse of our Armor %. GoWIII made them static. Instead of 50/25 because of 20% armor (5x damage to use, 5x damage collisions), we were left at 10/5 (and 1 damage cases like walls).

NOTE: I loved that half cases could deal damage to the target only (as always), agent only (new and weird) or both (new and appealing). Wall and object cases at 1 damage was fine by me, but having them inflate to 5 damage on VH would have been really nice given how that would be abuse with "X" toss into a wall into bow spam *things like that for rapid collisions*.

The cause is obvious (Battering Ram as a full collision case that can hit a single target up to 4 times while we guide it and have i-frames). It is NOT a good excuse. They could have made it exclusively static and left the rest of the system alone as they have with other moves in the past (I know this very well). It infuriates me to see stupid design choices like this.

I could go on and on, but I've got a topic where I give SP evaluations for each entry (which includes GoWIII). See here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/God-of-War-Ascension/GoW-A-SP-ideas/m-p/37336768/message-uid/...

Scroll down or use "Find" to reach the "GoWIII" section. I'll list some things I like and do not like without getting into level design, fight-to-fight evaluation, etc. I do cover a lot of ground though I could say much, much more.
Message 34 of 34 (320 Views)
0 Likes