Apr 19 2012
By: Sushi_Pirate Fender Bender 4029 posts

Welcome to our new God of War: Ascension space!

17 replies 4985 views Edited Apr 19, 2012

Hey everyone!

Welcome to the new God of War: Ascension space!

Just in case you missed the reveal trailer I've embedded it below.  What do you think?  Any guesses about the story/plot?

-SP

Message 1 of 18 (4,985 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11354 posts

Re: Welcome to our new God of War: Ascension space!

Apr 19, 2012

Probably should start its own thread and have it stickied to prevent the numerous threads that will likely be posted (though they'd probably still be posted):

NO MULTIPLAYER.  NONE. ZIP. ZILCH. NADA.

There is no place for Multiplayer (co-op or otherwise) in God of War.

Message 2 of 18 (4,985 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3841 posts

Apr 19, 2012

BBurgSteve wrote:

Probably should start its own thread and have it stickied to prevent the numerous threads that will likely be posted (though they'd probably still be posted):

x100000

>
Message 3 of 18 (4,985 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1293 posts

Apr 19, 2012

My only concern is multiplayer and the story but other than that it is fantastic to have a new God of War game!!

Photobucket
Message 4 of 18 (4,985 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Apr 19, 2012

Ares_Is_Dead wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

x100000

>

DislikeVegeta.jpg 

Sorry just had to. 

I agree though, the GoW series has been a more personal journey than any level of multiplayer would ever allow.

-SP

Message 5 of 18 (4,985 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Apr 19, 2012

>guesses

Starting as Captain Kratos, maybe with sword/shield (less likely to give AoS from GoS *possible though*), perhaps some light horseback combat (as with Pegasus, but on the ground amongst our troops and BK's hordes), etc.

If they allow for the comics (rather than retconning them), we'll go on a trip for a cure to a sickness Ares causes (Calliope is targeted), various gods have a bet to have their champions get the object (apple/ambrosia), we win while killing most of them along the way (our Spartan detail probably dies too).

BK is pissed about his father dying (Hades at work) and comes for us.  We lose in a playable version of the old cutscene from GoW1.  Ares takes us as his slave, we gain the BoC, we triumphe over BK, etc.  Fist of Ares is born and we become General Kratos.  We slaughter in his name, destroy temples of other gods, etc. until we reach the village worshipping Athena, kill our family, get cursed and become the Ghost of Sparta.

Athena shelters us and takes us in as her champions (and Slave to the Gods in the 10 year servitude that CoO takes place in *leading to GoW1*).

I'd like to think they showed the Gorgon and Cerberus to note Stheno and the true Cerberus making it in this time.  His family will obviously be important (again) and his people too (the Spartans).  I'm not sure who did the pointing at the start, but the hair and apparent mask doesn't strike me as Athena.

If like in the comics, I imagine Arachne and the like will get involved.  Some of the content from those covered a time where he is is a god (at least in title) and I doubt this will skip around that much, but it is possible we might start before CoO and skip that and continue after it, but I find that really unlikely (more so skipping past GoW1 to cover bits before/after GoS just prior to GoWII.

It is possible they will have some means to get a hint at another GoW release, but I don't believe they'll use the 999,999 hit combo means a third time.  Maybe with the Plat, but that's too easy.  A greater challenge should unlock it...unless trophies actually get treated seriously this time *doubtful* rather than as progression candy and bait to acquire the game (padding PSN accounts).

I'm somewhat encouraged to hear a combat/level designer is heading the team this time.  I hope to take this as a good sign for gameplay concerns (combat in particular).  I also hope they are not nearly as tight-lipped this time, there isn't a fiasco with DLC and post-release support is a bit better.  I'm not crazy about pre-order DLC, contests or Ultimate Editions, but I expect them all.

It seems natural the 'Dominus' (Cool Armor) look *Captain Kratos" will be the starting look (if that early in), leading to our Fist of Ares/General Kratos appearance then to the Ghost of Sparta (and other titles) name that is so well known.  I don't think we'll start before Kratos gave himself the tattoo, but it might be nice if it is so if only very briefly.  The Blades are really the series default weapon and should remain as such, but in the early bits another weapon could start us off (again, not for too long I should hope).

It is tradition that a diety falls by the end and I find it hard to imagine who that might be.  Might be female again (if the seeming goddess in the trailer is any indication *shouldn't be spoiled this early*).  I'd like to think Apollo is involved at some point, but it seems strange to have us KILLING a deity at all in this entry (just as with CoO).  Before Kratos believed it possible (GoW1) or anyone creditted it to his name.  These things make the series look worse.

As for hopes, I do want more creatures covers (Ladon, Charbydis *despite using Scylla already*, etc.) and returning favorites (Centaurs, Satyrs, Gorgons, Cyclops, etc.).  They can have their new array of spells, relics, items, etc.  I do sort of have to insist they return one spell for its rightful final outing.  A perfected petrification spell (Stheno's Head).

Among costumes I could want, there are quite a few, but the number one is Blue Kratos (still).  The one from the concept art I so fancy.  I never got a straight answer from any of the team over the years about why they haven't used it, yet we had a variation of the 'Cool Armor' design used.  They might as well use the big diaper wearing joke attire too, since they just can't get enough of silliness, but that would be far harder than my request giving the work that  goes into the PS3 Kratos.

Even more reason to give Blue Kratos for simply changing the tattoos (and the color), altering wraps/rags, changing the sparce armor a bit, reskinning the Blades, making the left eye glow yellow/gold, blanking the right eye, adding more scars, etc.  I don't imagine it would be any more work than with Morpheus Armor (and far less work than the PS3 Deimos attire).

Obviously challenges will return.  Arena should too (preferably expanding our options with it).  Leaderboards for various things even in SP might be nice.  As for online, co-op, MP, etc. ...I'd prefer there wasn't any (Action genre isn't about that), but if it confirmed, I might note ways to work with it (despite my distaste for it).

I'm fine with the Gaia narration, but the original Athena VA is strongly preferred (I'd like to think there isn't something preventing that).  I say this because there is basically zero chance the latter goddess won't be involved in this game with a speaking role.

It is likely asking too much, but if they could work in a functioning Athena costume (as with GoWII) that somehow works despite the Kratos frame (I can ignore the sounds of Kratos again, but if they want to replace the regular grunts and growls he makes with her voice, by all means)...that is something I'd pay for happily.  Less so the more desired Blue Kratos as that really shouldn't be such a bother to include for once.  I don't figure we'll get many 'free' costumes that aren't palette swaps as with Fear Kratos.

This issue aside, I'd like to think we'll get less boring 'stats' and special perks for the costumes this time.  Maybe not have them attached the costume and let the player decide how weak/strong they want to be?  Trophies are turned off anyway right?  I don't want a bunch of super costumes.  Vets like challenge costumes too.  Be it the glass cannon (high power low armor), nerf tank (low power high armor), poor recovery (low orb worth), just bad (low stats in all but EXP), etc.

I implore them to consider a return to the GoW1/GoWII system for COLLISIONS between an agent (tossed) and target (impacted).  The GoWIII expansion of the system with three kinds of half-collisions (5/0, 5/5 and 0/5) was nice *including knockbacks* along with wall collisions (1) and full colliisons (10), but making them all static because of Battering Ram?  Terrible.  Should have just made it the static value (as it hits multiple times anway and has i-frames so it doesn't need increased damage inverse of low Armor).

Another thing.  Please don't cripple our ring-out options with arbitrary invisible walls again.  GoW1 and GoWII were quite generous about leaving this option for working around direct damage.  Environmental hazards were great combat tools.  Water, spikes, crushers, cliffs, traps, etc.  They made the area the fight takes place in a factor worth considering as much as the foes to be dealt with. *something the featureless arenas in the Combat Arena sourly lack I might add*  Friendly fire between enemies in certain instances is nice to allow (maybe not nearly every movie, but they've done it before and it works *using Gorgons agianst other monsters, riding Mongrels/Berserkers, etc.*).

Expanding on the monster riding wouldn't hurt.  That was a nice touch.  As would have been the temporary borrowing of enemy weapons (learned from Bayonetta).  A weapon with dodge offset wouldn't be unwise either (helping it stand out from the Blades in a meaningful way).

Petrificiaton.  To mention it again, it doesn't need to deal damage to petrified targets (statues) *GoS* or even instant kill partially petrifid foes (GoWIII).  Having foes able to harm the statues with ANY of their attacks worked nicely in GoW1/GoWII.  The system in GoWII was best for petrification as a whole (balancing of break out time, resistance, statue HP, etc.).  GoS did a terrible job with HoB because some statues had more HP than the original creature had, break out time was too quick for the HP value attached, resistances in general were too high for the cost of the spell, etc.  I've been over it many times in many places.  This sort of spell is a fun alternative to simple damage dealing spells (focused, AoE, projectile or some mix of them).

NOTE: I compliment the attempt with Summoned Souls, but the execution was lacking.  Too many issues with targeting (not just with the spell either), cost/damage ratio, etc.  Speaking of 'souls' in GoW, they haven't really been that good since GoW1.  GoWII had some utility with them, but the damage was less than a single hit point (excessively nerfed).

Ah, so much I'd like to say.  Seems pointless if not heard (much less implemented).

EDIT

Nearly forgot to mention NG+.  There needs to be one.  No excuses.  If it needs a word of caution regarding glitches, crashes, skips, etc., so be it.  If a glitch allows for it, leave it be this time.  Just remember to cancel trophies for it if you do patch such a thing (leave it in).  If the player wants to start with MIN or MAX upgrades, fresh or with everything, etc., give us the option this time.  Being able to do a NUR+ in a NG+ is desired just as much as a NG+ where you can have all upgrades carried over, all extensions to HP, MP and other bars, etc.

If there is a rage mechanic, carefully consider how it was in GoW1 and GoWII (where it worked well).  Downgrading things might be nice even if it comes at the cost of reduced EXP returns worth, but at the same time I might not like it.  Hard to say.

NOTE: Regarding his costume, I hope not to see "Fallen God" Kratos used as the body default.  This error comes up now and then.  GoW1's Kratos is the "Ghost of Sparta".  He doesn't have the fingerless glove wrap, his 'armor' is different', he (obviously) doesn't have the stomach scar, etc.  Details.  CoO even forgot to take off his ashes when that tree removed them (he is supposed to have gloriously dark skin).  Hell, Dominus should have been "Captain Kratos" or the concept art (Cool Armor), but was instead Fallen God Kratos in the get-up of the promised attire.  Close, but not quite what was desired.  Again, details.

Message 6 of 18 (4,985 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Apr 19, 2012

BBS: >motion to create a sticky regarding the matter of MP, co-op and/or online

Agreed.  All discussion on the matter should be held in one place as that will be one of the more annoyingly common talking points whether anyone here likes it or not.  And I don't much like it (for the record).

It seems the others (thus far) are in agreement with you.  It might be better that someone other than myself start the thread.  My views on the matter are well known, but I'm not the face needed to launch it, I feel.

Message 7 of 18 (4,985 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1696 posts

Apr 19, 2012

Cant wait its gonna be BEAST.

ascensionp_21802nphd
Message 8 of 18 (4,985 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Apr 19, 2012

cautiously hyped! will wait for gameplay and plz ssm don't waste resources on multiplayer,make the single player the best u can!

Message 9 of 18 (4,985 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Apr 19, 2012

The narrator is telling us “before he was known as the Ghost of Sparta”, which means that he has not killed her wife and daughter. But the adds posted before the announcement say “nothing will bring them back” and this obviously refers to his family; so how these 2 opposite ideas can be together in the same game??

Also in those adds it says “will vengeance bring redemption ?”  The whole first trilogy was about vengeance, and he succeeded in GOW3 (killing most of the gods) so it is completed, and now he will search redemption for all the things he has done.

Putting all those pieces together, you will notice that it is a sequel;  and after his vengeance (killing all the gods) is completed, he will  search redemption.   ALSO THE KRATOS SHOWN IN THE TRAILER IS "FEAR KRATOS" so.....IT IS A SEQUEL!!!!!

The game will take place after GOW3, and the player (and maybe Kratos too) will most probably realize that, by the end of the game (or earlier) when they show us the new bosses for the new trilogy.

In the game you will be re-experiencing past events in kratos life, and maybe that is because the bosses behind the curtain are playing with his mind…..torturing him by making him to believe that he can safe his family; when he CAN NOT that is why the “nothing will bring them back” quote.

He will notice some wierd things here and there during the game; that will make him realize something is wrong.  Eventually he will wake up, and escape; and his search for redemption will begin by trying making an atonement for the things he has done in the past. Or maybe he is just in some kind of  “limbo” after the events of the 3rd game, and he is remembering all the killing and all the “bad” deeds he has done in his life; waking up trying to redeem himself.

I think SSM is pulling a NaughtyDog here.  One team helmed by Todd is making GOW: Ascension, while a second team  helmed by Stig is making GOW4.   And probably Ready at Dawn is re-making GOW: Betrayal for PSVITA

Message 10 of 18 (4,985 Views)
0 Likes