Jun 15 2012
By: mdyer2 First Son 14 posts

Sony Santa Monica...PLEASE include 2 player split screen!

16 replies 254 views Edited Jun 15, 2012

Hey all,

HUGE GoW fan. Played every one, and I'm SUPER excited about both single AND multiplayer of Ascension.

WIth that said, I feel as though a HUGE detriment to the PS3's core franchises has been not including split screen gameplay into their multiplayer! I understand that it's a very demanding engine that runs GoW, I really do. However, Uncharted 3 (one of the best looking games on the PS3) has Split Screen.

Hell, even Starhawk (which I LOVE and also produced by SSM) had split screen, and the mechanics of Build and Battle are probably insanely hard to execute in 2 player split, let alone 4.

I would honestly rather play on a couch with a buddy than play online by myself with a game (even though I do). SSM, you NEED to have split screen for 2 players in this game. It is inexcusable to not have it in this day and age, and you are taking a FANTASTIC multiplayer component and giving it a severe handicap. You guys have the funds, talents, and time to make this happen.

You will sell more copies if you do, and you know it

Message 1 of 17 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10163 posts

Re: Sony Santa Monica...PLEASE include 2 player split screen!

Jun 15, 2012

Welcome to the club MD, I'm also very excited about this game.

They said they were messing around with a 2 player option, but they were pretty sure they'd rather go along the route of having 2 players on one screen, rather than 2.  It'd make a whole lot more sense IMO, as long as they can keep the camera under control. 

I've played a lot of games that have these camera angles, so you have to stay pretty close together, and sometimes the camera can really get messed up. 

Having to drag someone around would get really annoying.  I just want to pick up and go and with 2 players, one guy will want to go left while the other will want to go right.  Especially if player 1 is better than player 2...and player 2 is goofin off or something... and I'm forced to follow them around or slowly inch the camera my way.

I hope they go with 2 players on one screen though...because split screen god of war would make the screens really tiny, and if it's anything like Uncharted, it's going to have ugly split screen...but that might not be the case.  Uncharted split screen is really really ugly. 

Message 2 of 17 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Jun 15, 2012

I do not honestly know what sort of technical issues might come up with a split-screen case other than 'looking bad'.  If it is just the latter, I grant no excuses for the lack of a local (offline) play of the multiplayer (bots to take over vacant slots).

As for sharing a screen, it can only zoom out so far before it either looks terrible or they have to stop one, the other or both from proceeding further away.  They cannot use cinematic 'zooms' for this and that with a shared camera.

Message 3 of 17 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10163 posts

Jun 15, 2012

GodModeGOD wrote:

I do not honestly know what sort of technical issues might come up with a split-screen case other than 'looking bad'.  If it is just the latter, I grant no excuses for the lack of a local (offline) play of the multiplayer (bots to take over vacant slots).

As for sharing a screen, it can only zoom out so far before it either looks terrible or they have to stop one, the other or both from proceeding further away.  They cannot use cinematic 'zooms' for this and that with a shared camera.

GodModeGOD

I feel that if they tried to do split screen, a large portion of the screen would be black... the MP graphics might not be very polished at this point, but it looked kind of...well...pre GoW 3 graphics to me, and split screen would probably make it worse...then again, MP might take a "graphical hit" in order to do split screen in the first place, kind of like Uncharted.

Uncharted split screen is bad in so many ways.  There's black space everywhere, and the graphics are downgraded a lot.  Not only that, but split screeners "lag" more. 

On a technical standpoint, 2 players per screen would probably be easier, but split screen would definitely be more "user friendly" unless split screen would take up a lot of black space then otherwise they'd both limit our capabilites. 

Message 4 of 17 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Jun 15, 2012

Ah, yes.  The usual array of issues.  I believe they voiced a concern with graphics downgrading even further (as to be expected when compared to SP where such problems do not exist).

Message 5 of 17 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
14 posts

Jun 15, 2012

Who cares if the graphics have downgraded? This could potentially be the kind of multiplayer that convinces people to buy a PS3...IF it were split screen! This makes the game automatically more appealing to anyone else. I honestly don't see how anyone would rather NOT have split screen just to keep the graphics incredible looking. So long as it's fun and runs at a decent framerate, then whatever. It DOESN'T MATTER to 90% of gamers, seriously.

Message 6 of 17 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10163 posts

Jun 15, 2012

As long as it isn't what Uncharted did, I'd be find with it.  On top of terrible graphics when entering split screen mode, the gameplay feels weird when you play split screen...like you're a lot slower and the gun misfires a lot. 

But be honest now.  We know you want split screen, but split screen feature in a god of war game would hardly sell anymore games let alone an entire console. 

Message 7 of 17 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
865 posts

Jun 15, 2012

I don't want splitscreen. Yea I bought a 42" screen to only be able to use half, nah just keep it one player per screen. Even when I upgrade to my 55" no I want the whole damn screen to myself call me greedy I don't care. Besides gameplay is much better that way I feel like SS just dilutes the gameplay.

Message 8 of 17 (254 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Jun 15, 2012

I believe 2 players on screen could benefit us more, GOW is a "beat them all" kind of game and by keeping the two players close you can achieve this faster with combined attacks and longer combos. For shooters is different because you do need one separate screen to aim; GOW multiplayer could use a "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" style if the players get too separated

Message 9 of 17 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10163 posts

Jun 15, 2012

j0se_tony wrote:

I don't want splitscreen. Yea I bought a 42" screen to only be able to use half, nah just keep it one player per screen. Even when I upgrade to my 55" no I want the whole **** screen to myself call me greedy I don't care. Besides gameplay is much better that way I feel like SS just dilutes the gameplay.

j0se_tony Trophy Card

Thing is, you wouldn't be able to use half the screen either, a lot of space would be taken up so that the resolution stays somewhat "good" at lof of it would be black space. 

Message 10 of 17 (254 Views)
0 Likes