Treasure Hunter
5791 posts

Re: SP DEMO observations.

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2013

Hippy: >Callisto
>fury Queen
That would make me laugh. Laugh at the stupidity of it.

>this demo over the other
Then I wouldn't have had a chance to toy with more foe types and tools. This demo is far more limited. Having both suits me.

Creed: >pause
You refer to square mashing (s,s,s,s) for s4a (Fury), I take it. Why not block cancel, lad?

>tried to be more strategic
Have much experience with that sort of thing for this series?

>repeated pauses
Not familiar with canceling and other combat mechanics, I take it. I can teach you.

>kicking
Meh. OP before, pretty crap now.

>uppercut
Lovely for knockback on lesser foes (ring-out). Maybe collision (probably weak). Damage isn't that great. Disarm is nice. Dedicated animation is not great nor the option to cancel or even pursue (like with Ascension).

>one arm
It's still possible they're pulling trick where you start in the middle of a story (GoW1 and GoWIII started the menu from the end of the games).

>it's rage
It doesn't act like rage. No power increase, no tanking, no armor increase, etc. It's something else and it activates automatically while filling extremely quickly. I've been over the rules for it before in previous coverage. This build made an obvious change. Evade whoring as one would to keep the hit count from dropping will pause the meter for rage. A useful trick.

>harder to fill
I'd noted it should have been such in the GamesCom/PAX build, but it is only slightly harder to fill now. Not enough change. Hopefully higher settings adjust this. Unlikely though. I do expect Easy to make it at least 25% easier (they love using that approach).

>different moves
Trouble is, they're just the moves we used to have without a 'rage'.

>other 3
CoO and GoS get the cold shoulder?

Shiki: >twice
That all?

>strategy
It was all rather basic to me. To be expected of an opening segment.

>like that
It's trash. Strict timing for a focused, short-range, forward strike (likely not dealing much damage)? Heresy. And it probably can't deal with petrification at all.

>could go on and on
By all means. I have a thread for just that.

>collision
That's not the kind of 'collision' I care about. I'm more worried about sending foes into each other for bonus (collisions) damage, wall splats, etc. Like the lack of invisible walls for foes (not so much those preventing us from being rung-out though *training wheels and the like*).

>stay away from spoilers
>leave the forums
It's that easy.

>nitpicks
Those would be?

>surpassing GoWII
"I doubt that." - Vegeta

Cougar: >solid
Compared to CoO, sure.

Quickie: >rage
Auto-rage not doing it for you? Or is it the trick of making 'rage' seem necessary by taking away from what the Blades can normally do? But this complaint is as old as the E3 build.

Durg: >like WW
Unarmed attacks could have been done better. OP in the first demo and too weak in this one (with some utility). Chaining could be better. Would help to have the 'mount' of GoS.

>just mashing
>far from hardcore
I see.

>strategically
And what exactly was stopping you from doing that in previous entries?

>fend off others
There wasn't a need for that in the past. 360 toss, BR, etc. wrecked those too near you.

Majestic: >random grab kill
I wasn't into that either. Dante's Inferno did this. They should have had a grab select like in past series (for Minor Grunts like the Infect Humans, Satyr Grunts, etc.).

Cow: >elements of MP
WW isn't from MP. That was intended for SP from the start (was meant for GoWIII). Halos are part of the change made with Tether. Not MP. Lame climbing is MP's influence. The stupid parry as well.

>diversify combat
Actual secondary weapons (rather than tertiary ones) would do that better.

>OP in the Beta
It's not very good now. It's super limited and nerfed. Balance like this is a concern of MP. This is a SP genre where imbalance tends to rule the day (you play a one man army).

Locus: >brutal kills
That bonus wasn't in this or the other demo. I don't expect it or Ruthless kills.

Carnie: >five games of mashing square
>doesn't know the combat system
"Ridiculous." - Vergil

Wrath: >last longer
It lasts indefinitely when you play decently.

>jumped out of a jump
That would be an issue (that I'd seen as well), but Kratos technically has Icarus Lift (double jump). Obviously that isn't what it is, but the game's mechnics make that less of a problem to encounter.

>real life
I don't think he would be sliding much at all with a weapon like his embedded in the surface of a solid material.

>Magaera triggers
There are more cases where you can mess with her. I prefer her silent.

>mismatched subtitles
"I love it!" - Gene

>attack belly
I used it for lvl5 BoC.

Frankie: >adopted
And yet he was weaker though the notes might imply a daemon/deity mix (both immortals).

Crackle: >parry
Hard to miss. It's gone though. The 'quick' parry is the GoW1 version. No i-frames, but leads to enders quickly.

Message 41 of 80 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
348 posts

Feb 24, 2013
GMG: I have no problem in admitting that I am a casual. I'd even go so far as to say I'm an "ultra-casual". Therefore my perception of the demo is from that perspective.

However, I do recognize your expertise and experience in analyzing these types of games, and I look forward to your full breakdown of the completed game.
Message 42 of 80 (329 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5791 posts

Feb 25, 2013
Shiki: >no problem admitting
Good, good.

>ultra casual
Somehow, I doubt that.

>from that perspective
Even then, there are certain issues vets and casuals agree upon as undesirable. Bad targeting, notably poor design choices (off-screen attacks for instance), missing abilities, zero damage attacks, etc.

>recognize
It would be hard to miss. Though I do get certain types now and then...that get somewhat upset with something I've said (somehow) and find themselves denying the obvious in the hopes that it shall comfort them to 'reject' what I am. As if 'arrogance' and other such things change a thing about the score. It's an old tune.

>full breakdown of the completed game
It'll take time to get to that point. Easily over a month before rage, stun, damage, etc. testing values come out along with challenge runs cleared and other such concerns are addressed. Then begins the process of evaluating the game for 'review' (to share with Papy as requested of myself and other vets).
Message 43 of 80 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 25, 2013

@GodModeGod

I know it lasts long enough if you play decently, but I was really thinking about how it just turns off very quickly after you run out of enemies, because you might come across another bunch of them like 7 seconds later and all your rage is gone.

As for my comment about sliding, I just want it to be as real as possible. Obviously you can't stick a blade in a solid material, but things like angles can be changed

Message 44 of 80 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5791 posts

Feb 25, 2013
>turns off quickly
You have something like three full seconds. Certain cases pause it (with foes). Without them, less cases. You do have rolling as with the hit counter. You WILL lose it during certain bits (platforming, puzzle solving , etc.), but you get it back quickly enough.

>come across them several seconds later
You didn't read my coverage, I take it. I note how to abuse the system (which is something I excel at). I'll have more info on it tomorrow, probably. Rage, stun and damage testing will keep me busy.

>sliding
I'd rather it have more to it. GoS did a better job than this has done. And without combat added to it (not happening), it is worthless to me. Navigation used to have combat. Now it doesn't and I don't care for it in this form. Puzzles that lack a combat element aren't exactly thrilling either (even worse for repeat playthroughs).
Message 45 of 80 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

Feb 26, 2013

GodMode.......I believe Todd Papy requested your review and assessment as much as I believe sasquatch has been captured alive. You are indeed ridiculous.

All of you testing talk makes me want to take a big fat dookie......oh gotta go.

Message 46 of 80 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4815 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2013
Let's have a show of hands on which story is more ridiculous...

Jakob's ghost Sony rep at GameStop, hauling a PS3 around.

Or

God being requested by Papy to dissect the in's and out's of Ascension and produce a formal report.

Kidding guys. Full of caffeine and linguini and clams tonight. Smiley Happy

Message 47 of 80 (189 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2013

Glad you brought that up Tomato......were you one of the six people who called that store to confirm my fabricated story? Kari found it really funny that people dismissed it as a lie. Again Tomato I do not care if people believe it or not, coincidental though that you keep harping about it.....perhaps you called?

Message 48 of 80 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4815 posts

Feb 26, 2013
Is that harping? Sorry. Thought I was making light hearted funnies. :-P

Message 49 of 80 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Feb 28, 2013
I'm with ya Tomato. Both stories are stupid. I could careless about them both because they have no true purpose. They change nothing.

Message 50 of 80 (80 Views)
0 Likes