I really enjoyed the addition of the circle button for additional ways to unleash attacks on enemies alongside the R1 button. I am about as far from a "hardcore" gamer as it gets, but enjoy playing certain series when a new release comes out. God of War being one of them. I just overall had fun with the demo. Typically, I find myself just mashing square and triangle until all enemies are dead. In the demo, however, I enjoyed strategically throwing in some launches and R1 grabs and circle presses. Perhaps what I liked the most was grabbing onto one grunt with the R1 button and then still being able to use square to fend off others before finishing up my assault on the one grabbed guy.
One thing I didn't really like, and I'm wondering if it's this way only for the demo, was the upgrade screen. It did not seem as intuitive as the screens in the other GoW games. Though that could just be because I've played those other games so many times and this one is brand new to me.
To be honest i am REALLY disappointed with Ascension .... Idk, im just not digging it at all, i feel as if it has betrayed all GOW origins .... It isn't a GOW game to me, for some reason .... e.g. the combat feels really weird, they replaced the "O" mechanic where you can make a brutal kill on large anemies and other kills on smaller enemies, now its just random ......
Im very disappointed, this might be the least favourite GOW game to me.
I played it a second time and I the music, or lack there off, is disappointing. I have grown excited of the background music that plays when playing the game. It seemed to quite.
I tired to be more stategic with my game play, but it seemed to make it harder. hahah, I suppose some practice is in order. I hope the game makes it easier to continue combos and longs chains as only getting in three hits was dissapointing from a excitment standpoint but also it allowed enemies to attack you more often because of the repeated pauses between the finishing short combos and the next move.
I will say it again, I really like the options for fighting now. Kicking, blades, grappling, uppercut....etc.
I was a little disapointed when the fury showed up with already one arm missing. I was hoping she would loose it because of an earlier batter with Kratos.
Two more weeks. I can't wait.
I would be ok with it being harder to fill to accommodate this.
I do like the idea of having different moves when it comes the rage meter, but I would prefer it not be the standard moves we have all grown accustomed to from playing the other 3 GOW games.
Just my opinion after having played the demo only once so far. Definitely like it! The combat seems pretty fluid and its cool to experience some elements from MP in action in SP (ex. world weapons, red halos for kills, parrying once you upgrade the BoC)... brings back Beta memories lol.
I'm enjoying how the world weapons really help diversify combat; mixing the melee button in with combos of light and strong attacks, plus throwing grapples in here and there, makes it feel like there are plenty of options to choose from.
One thing I noticed about the spear weapon (compared to the spear from the MP Beta) is that it seems a bit slowed down in terms of its startup when throwing it at enemies one at a time or throwing it in the air for it to rain down on them. Personally I think it's a good thing since many considered the spear to be OP in the Beta... hopefully the change extends to the MP portion too.
I was a bit reluctant to try the demo at first since I didn't want to spoil the story that much before the release considering it's the first 30 min of the game. The prologue kinda provides a basic idea of where you are and there other clues scattered in the gameplay (ex. those notes you find along the way)... but nothing I would call MAJOR spoilers which will ruin the future plot, always a good thing.
One criticism I have is with the music; I felt that some better selections could have been made for certain scenes (but who knows after multiple playthroughs I may like them the way they are lol) and it also seemed to be out of sync at times. Other than that, thought the demo was great and it's up there with the GoW3 demo.
Kudos to SSM and the GoW team! Looking forward to March.
@SpiritCreed: this demo is actually taking place in the 'future'. Todd stated on an interview that we w0uld be going back in time to see the events that led up to this imprisonment. That includes chopping off Maegera's arm
As earlier posters have said, I agree that:
- Graphics look great overall
- It sucks how the rage meter must be active to do the standard combos we know and love (eg. s,s,s,s,s,t). I also want it to last longer, even if it takes slightly longer to build up.
- There are issues with sound. The music seems a bit hard to hear and the audio is sometimes not in sync with the animation
Problems I observed (nothing major):
- There are some things that go blurry for a while, for example when the cyclops is climbing up. The fine detail comes back when you begin fighting him. But maybe you had to do this to make the game run smoothly at certain times because of PS3 limitations..
- When the giant hand is holding part of the prison, he turns it 90 degrees and Kratos jumps. I somehow managed to be in the air at the right moment and Kratos did that jumping animation while in the air
- I highly doubt this will get changed, but when Kratos slides down the ramp thing, there's a part where he goes uphill.. in real life, he would have just stopped there lol. And then when he's sliding down vertically, he seems to be going at the same speed! I would like it to be a bit faster so that its more realistic
- When you are grabbed by that big hand and smashed through a few walls, the animation of Kratos pushing the hand away looked... bad. My eyes were focussed on his hands pushing, but it didn't even look like he was touching it properly.. the animation wasn't very smooth - you can see it jumping
- Of the 2 things that Maegera knocks down to slow down Kratos at the start, you can trigger "You are a worthless mortal!" without seeing her say it by jumping on top of the 2nd thing and staying there.
- A couple of minor mismatches between what is written in the subtitles and what is said. Eg. "MASTER Ares is a fool to want you back" vs. "LORD Ares is a fool to want you back". Also, "You will perish in YOUR attempt to be free" vs. "... in THE attempt to be free"
And one random thing for people who are bored enough to read this: I kept attacking the cyclops continously (because it can't die without you riding it first) to watch its belly flop again and again and again
Some **bleep** spoiled the ending of GoW 3 by creating a thread with THE *bleep* ending in the title. The guys in the forum managed to trick me into thinking he was lying though.
So if you live in another country and aren't getting the game day 1, stay off the forums.