Wastelander
679 posts

Re: SP DEMO observations.

Feb 20, 2013
It was awesome, the graphics were crazy good and melee was great as well. This game is going to be insane when it's released glad I pre ordered!
Message 11 of 80 (469 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Feb 20, 2013
As usual, I'll give my coverage here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/God-of-War-Ascension-General/GoW-A-SP-ideas/td-p/37336768/pag...

I'm currently at 25%. I've got work tonight and host duty tomorrow. I'll make time for light testing, but the real stuff won't start until Sunday with how things look now. We'll see about all that when the time comes. Maybe I'll work something out.
Message 12 of 80 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Feb 20, 2013
So Kratos mom is the Fury Queen. Crazy huh?

Message 13 of 80 (422 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
83 posts

Feb 21, 2013
Just tank pleeeeeese help my code is not working even the new one im from USA PLEEEEEESE JUST TANK HELP
Message 14 of 80 (383 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Feb 21, 2013

I thought the demo was good.  I was a little disappointed that it was exactly the same as the video release.  However, I guessed that would be the case.  Still, I would have been nice to have been give something a little extra.

I felt the sound was off as well.  I have 5.1 and the defaulted to 7.1.  After changing it to the latter, it still sounds as the background noises were brought to the front.  They stood out over the fight sounds and the actual game music.  I hopw this is hashed out for the game.  It made it less engaging without the music getting the blood pumping for the fights.  Did anyone else feel this way?

I found the letter in the sswer, but I was so caught up with playing that I didn't really read it.  I will have to see it again but I did not catch that it is Kratos' mother.

I really enjoyed all the different damaging dealing options.  It will take time to learn to building combos which was my biggest annoyance.  haha I wanted to keep going but after three hits or so, it would do a pause.  

It still takes me so long to adjust to the right stick to be for dodging and not camera manipulation.  I wish SMS would have made this version capable of that.

Question for everyong, people keep using "SSM".  What does this stand for? Is this a typo for SMS?

Message 15 of 80 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Feb 21, 2013
It stands for Sony Santa Monica
Message 16 of 80 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Feb 21, 2013
Ah, I refer to them as SMS, santa monica studios. I never thought to put sony in front it.
Message 17 of 80 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
348 posts

Feb 21, 2013
So although I am a Trojan, my wife was a Spartan and so I got an opportunity to play the demo. Let me just say that it's the first demo I've ever played twice in such close succession (i.e. within 15 minutes of my first try I just HAD to play again.) I was truly blown away.

Things I liked:
The graphics are insanely good. I popped in GoW 3 and played a bit, then went back to the demo and there is a marked difference in the graphics. The lighting/shading is used to great effect and I was able to catch a lot more details in fabrics, metal, rock, skin and really make a distinction.

At the core of the GoW series is the gameplay. Again, the devs stayed true to the formula they've perfected, but have added enough tweaks to add a fresh spin on how you fight. I found myself using a lot more strategy in my playthrough, rather than just spamming square, square, triangle, as I usually do for demos (shame).

I like the new World Weapon system. The fluidity of the animation. The enemies, I found while not as detailed as Kratos, still stand out. I found myself paying more attention to grunts as they are more unique than what was found in GoW 3.

The Parry that's unlocked (L1 + X I think) after you upgrade the blades to level 2, takes a lot of timing to use. It's not at all like the fleece, and I like that.

I could go on and on. For the most part I loved it!

Things that didn't go over too well with me:

Hit and collision detection (or rather animation). Kratos' blades seem to go through solid objects now, as though they weren't there. I tried using the blades on some walls, etc and rather than bouncing or hitting them, they just went right through. They improved this on the Cyclops from the demo video, but it's still there. The blades don't look like they're hitting the Cyclops, but rather going through an intangible object. I even tried rolling Kratos himself on some walls, and parts of him were going through the wall! I hope they fix this for the final release, but I'm doubtful.

As someone else already pointed out, the music was a little "blah", for this part. I can still remember the cues that played during the fight with Poseidon, but it seems they went very generic with the Hecatonchires fight in terms of music. I do hope the music improves over the course of the game.

I do have a few other nitpicks, which I won't go into mainly because they may have been caused by my own lack of skill.

In conclusion, the demo was a great first impression of the overall game, and may even become my favourite GoW, surpassing GoW2.
Message 18 of 80 (332 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1031 posts

Feb 21, 2013

Seemslike the single player is going to be solid

Message 19 of 80 (327 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Feb 21, 2013

I'm not really a fan of the rage meter. I don't like how some attacks can't be used whenever you want. For example s,s,s,s,s,t can only be used during full rage. What was the point of adding this?

Message 20 of 80 (389 Views)