Feb 16 2013
By: SilverFoxLegacy Lombax Warrior 198 posts

My issue with Prequels

5 replies 238 views Edited Feb 16, 2013
Let me first say that I'm extremely excited for this game.

Alright! So my problem with prequels is this: (it might be called continuity errors but I'm not sure) I don't like when you play a prequel where your main character is learning new skills that were not available to him in the future (the games we've already played) so like let's say in ascension Kratos gains the ability to triple jump (not hoping for that or anything just an example) and then in god of war 1 he obviously can't do it.

A real example that I can think of is Halo Reach. It was set before the other halos but yet the aircraft the used was like a falcon or something I don't know but it was like an upgraded hornet and it made no sense why they would have better technology.

Again I'm super excited so don't take this the wrong way. What do you guys an gals think?
Message 1 of 6 (238 Views)
0 Likes
SIEA
415 posts

Re: My issue with Prequels

Feb 16, 2013

The skills of Kratos focused primarily on new weapons in God of War 1-3.

In Ascension, his skills will be focused in other areas, such as elemental powers. This is now to say he couldn't have used these elements in Gof of War 1-3, but they have a very different purpose and reason for their design in Ascension.

Great points about a prequel, well respected and to a degree, feel the same way as you.

I personally hate movie prequels the most. I strongly prefer seeing the story continue...

-Tank

Follow me @Just_Tank and @SonySantaMonica

Every day is community day!
Message 2 of 6 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5100 posts

Feb 16, 2013
Prequels and continuity never really bothered me all that much... unless there was a huge discrepancy. I can overlook the minor details.

Message 3 of 6 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Feb 18, 2013

I wouldn't see this as an issue in this series so much.  In each installment of the game Kratos goes through a process where he ends up getting stripped of all his powers from the previous installment anyway.

Message 4 of 6 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Feb 18, 2013
You are thinking too much into it. Sure there are some things which makes one question "how can he do that when he couldn't do it in the future" and the like but honestly its a game and every game needs some fresh air especially if you played all the previous games so it would be a bit dull for developers to make the character with less abilities just becoz its a prequel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ImageImageImage
Message 5 of 6 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5821 posts

Feb 20, 2013
Silver: >new skills
Even the 'old' from future entries can be overlooked in some cases.

>ability to
So long as it is tied to an item, relic, etc., that won't matter.

Kratos' physique is a continuity error. His BoC are too (but that's the case in all entries).

More concerning would be that this is a Kratos who has presumably been imprisoned for six months (or so) after killing his family after being the Fist of Ares, which was never implied to have ever (in canon) fought a single monster. His only encounter in canon was with Harpies as a Captain (who gave him the BoC). They were allies at this time.

In GoW:A, he just seems to be unimpressed and too capable against creatures of myth (even enormous beasts). His power jump couldn't have been so drastic ten years prior to GoW1 (five before CoO). GK wasn't depicted as nearly so capable as the GoS and he had the BoC too. Did his fury about familicide suddenly turn him into 'Super' Kratos? How did he so quickly get used to dealing with foes well beyond the BK that trounced him in battle? It hadn't been implied as THAT long ago.

He also, thus far, seems to lack the proper reverence for the gods. In GoW1, he seemed to still be surprised by creatures he would encounter (like the Cerberus Seed becoming a Cerberus Breeder). The notion of killing a god at all was well beyond his wildest fantasies (so he didn't dare even hope for revenge until learning of Pandora's Box and being given a quest that would allow him to go after Ares *blessing of his masters*).

CoO blew that with Persephone. To a lesser extent, Charon (daemon). GoWII only notes one deity slaying. GoS, taking place 'before' it, has us kill Erinys and Thanatos (daemons depicted like gods in the GoW universe). This not unlike Gaia, a Primordial, being made a GoW 'titan' (a name that was for those among her non-deformed children who would usurp their father).

Tomato: >can overlook
How generous.

GOW: >each installment
GoW1 didn't (obviously). Not until the end of the game (but they are restored). GoS didn't start that way (they just ignore it). GoWII didn't start with it, just implied they were there to be taken away. CoO couldn't as it was the (then) earliest entry. He got stripped of two items by game's end. GoWIII did like GoWII (then stripped us again for the end).

Navi: >too much
Or just enough?

>it's a game
Not a real excuse for continuity errors. It's hard to keep piling them all on (rather than making some new thing or an updated version of an old one) more so than just starting fresh with new things to lose. Explaining it away isn't entirely necessary, but other errors are more ugly (regarding story). Gameplay is king though, so if one wishes to overlook these things on those grounds, that suits me fine.
Message 6 of 6 (53 Views)
0 Likes