MVP Support
11374 posts

Re: Multiplayer for God of War: Ascension? Absolutely not...

Apr 30, 2012

That's what the Arena unlockable is for.  Every GoW title to date has had one.

Kratos took down Gods and Titans.  On his own.

Now it takes four of him to take down a frakking cyclops??

It makes no sense.  On ANY level.

Message 31 of 35 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42173 posts

Apr 30, 2012

BBurgSteve wrote:

That's what the Arena unlockable is for.  Every GoW title to date has had one.

Kratos took down Gods and Titans.  On his own.

Now it takes four of him to take down a frakking cyclops??

It makes no sense.  On ANY level.

They've stated that Kratos isn't present in the MP.  You're just some nameless Spartan it seems.  And the game, according to Siliconera, takes place 6 months after Kratos kills his family (remember, it's a prequel) so he hasn't done all the big things yet.  It's just the pitch kind of seems...eh in regards to what Kratos has done:

"The basic premise of multiplayer in Ascension is that the player can "go from an unknown hero to a god, following in the footsteps of Kratos," says Papy. You must ally yourself with one of four gods: Zeus, Poseidon, Hades or Ares - as in the original God of War when Kratos pledged his allegiance to the latter."

So here is my problem.  This is a prequel just after his tragedy but you're letting players create these other Spartans who are supposed to do everything Kratos has done before he does it?  Who is following in who's footsteps?

I do think they probably should have just done a MP PSN GoW.  Have them entirely independent of one another.  But they say they're going 'full force' with both:

""We didn't want to sacrifice single-player for multiplayer, neither did we want to tack on," says McDonald. "We're definitely going full force with both.""

But then there is this =\:

"Given the demands of crafting a multiplayer experience from scratch, can we really expect single-player to be as substantial as what has gone before? "We're talking just a little bit shorter," Papy admits. "We've mapped out everything and given time estimates. It'll be pretty damn close.""

Message 32 of 35 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Apr 30, 2012

>MP confirmed

I can only hope it doesn't mess things up too much (DS2 avoided this, but NGIII...).  Casual's always get their way in this series.  So let's see here...

>pics

We've got a sort of BH, BoO (depowered), Poseidon's trident, Griffen statue, Primordial Cyclops, etc.  The Trident user has a very 'champion of Poseidon' costume.  I wonder if their plan is to have champions of different gods with different weapons/abilities (also costume).

>gifs

Finisher on another guy ('Fleece' looking bit on the costume), dividing the Cyclops mandible, team holding the injured foe down for a finishing blow to the eye by a Trident user, etc.

>YT

Maps have traps *activated by players* it would seem (other than EXP chests).  Some manner of chain weapon antics going on besides the Hammer, Sword and Trident use.  They've adjusted the moves just a bit.  As neat as that finish might be, having to watch it over and over in MP (especially as the other team) seems ill-advised.  Some sort of electric AoE spell used.

>IGN

"...won't feature Kratos, but rather nameless characters that players will opt to customize as they see fit. Combatants can pledge allegiance to one of four gods -- Zeus, Poseidon, Hades and Ares -- and will receive special powers, bonuses, strengths and weaknesses as a result. Armor and weapons can be customized, equipped and strengthened, and there will be full experience, upgrading and leveling systems..."

Thought as much.

AI controlled foes too?  That's more to my liking.  Seemed like a team greater than 2-on-2 (noted by GT).  But with this one should expect an 'online pass', 'map packs', online patches (but nothing good for SP), costume packs (for MP), etc.  It is all rather obvious.  I can only hope it isn't too great shafting.

Having no females suits me fine, but not having local split-screen against AI controlled teams seems like a very poor choice for those not interested in online (and for guests of mine who don't have online to begin with).

Figures they would show this before anything SP related.  And not nearly done?  Perhaps March 2013 is a bit too soon afterall.  Maybe they will be as late as November 2013 afterall.  Time will tell.  They best not remain tight-lipped on SP or this aspect of the game.  It is better they get feedback fast and furiously.  Better for them, better for us.  As much as I hate this desicision, I will work with it as a series fan.

>GT

Co-op (local) would be preferable as an option.  These chaps don't know what they're talking about/seeing.  Pity about not having Team Athena.  Likely the 'Sword' (BoO) is Zeus, Trident is Poseidon, Hammer (Hades like BK or like what Ares used), etc.  Different spells, attributes, etc. for each it seems.

NOTE: I woudln't be surprised if elements of the MP weapons made it into SP (to make more use of any given resource).

Not too sure about this 'rock-paper-scissors' talk for a video game.  We'll see.  Weapon upgrades in MP based on use (other  than allegiance)?  What's the EXP for again?  Sparta vs Troy?  Perhaps they'll use Troy in th SP this time.  Maybe as an excuse (like CoO should have done) to face other famous heroes in an event where the gods all got their hands dirty.

With SP info, I have little to sink my teeth into (in the end).

Zaku: Good of you to share.

>quotes

Shorter?  8 hours on the first time through then (rather than 12)?  My, my.  That could hurt.  I hope they know what they're getting into.  As for putting their best into both, they have to realize this doesn't help with the fear that MP distracts from SP.  At all.

DevilHunter: And you too.

>disappointed

It doesn't look that terrible, but I'm more a hands-on chap.  Even still, it takes away from time, focus, etc. on the SP.  The real focus of the series (being an Action game as with DMC, NG, etc.).

Xino: Your censor bypass offends my eyes, sir.  Mind the rules.

>single-minded

I have the best interest of the series in mind.  Vets and even casual regulars know this is more than a little risky (with the chance for quality decline in gameplay of SP at the cost of this little diversion).  Try to understand how these things work.

Burg: Your feelings are understandable, but you knew the casuals would get their way.  I knew it too well with the brother arc (GoS).  Vets don't tend to be listened to (despite their sage advice).  Let them have their chance.  If they're wise, they'll at least hear our thoughts on what to do to improve such things (rather than be all cloaks and daggers again).

Hugo: >offline

Would be preferable even with a bot parter or two.  I'd rather work on my own when practicing, testing damage, testing weapons/spells, learning maps, etc.

Message 33 of 35 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Apr 30, 2012

You took this much better than I expected.

Message 34 of 35 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Apr 30, 2012

You've quite the impression of me, sir.

Message 35 of 35 (143 Views)
0 Likes