May 12 2012
By: EnterTheTekken Lombax Warrior 172 posts

Multiplayer character models

28 replies 382 views Edited May 12, 2012

” Papy told EW. “Redoing those animations would be a painstaking process, and we wanted to make sure that we could really focus on the gameplay and spend that time animating new weapons, new kills, and new specials.” This also means that there will be no female characters in multiplayer since, as Papy told an audience full of reporters, “female characters on Kratos’ rig do not look pretty.”

Is MP going to utilize a create a character? The MP characters seem like they have a base model for a avatar with paint on it? Who are these champions of the gods? These character models need to be unique and have backstories. If you are going to use a create a character, let us choose our backstory and alter our base model to our choosing. All the character models in the gameplay demo look too generic and all seem to be the same size/model. I may be jumping the gun, but I hope all the champions of the gods have different models or use user defined character models. We need more diversity in the character models.

Sorry Papy but this is very lazy. Recyling is good and all, but not a the expense of what could be a better game. Starting from scratch can be lots of work, but I will feel cheated if we all play Kratos with bule paint and a mask slapped on. I'm sure many will overlook this but damn If I don't feel cheated.

You said in an interview that "no one wants to play Robin". Well all 8 of us don't want to run around as blue and red Batmen either.

Message 18 of 29 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Re: Multiplayer character models

May 2, 2012

Sounds great, I'll add this to my MP ideas thread

As I've said before, it could be that we play as gladiators, and these are the spartan gladiator games.  It would make sense. 

I'm doubtful there will be a lot of character customization.  Back stories, probably not but I'd much rather see some really sweet armor, weapons, and spells rather than be able to choose from 400 different tatoos and 10 different tattoo colors and what not. 

Message 1 of 29 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5826 posts

May 2, 2012

>character creation

It is character customization.  There won't be a story and the customization will surely be quite limited.

Message 2 of 29 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

May 2, 2012

trojan_armor.jpg

There must be a better way to distinguish between a Trojan and a Spartan rather than body paint. I get the feeling they want to follow shooter conventions. I like the look and use of color in the image above, it's more subdued. Why can't we get models that look like this with a more subdued red and gold, blue and silver?

I don't know maybe it's the lack of clothing that's bothering me. All of the character models seem to be naked. The model is too much like a costumed Kratos. At least change the standing posture on the models. This pose is kinda insulting.

gow_asc_02_thumb.jpg

Message 3 of 29 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5826 posts

May 2, 2012

>like a shooter

They can only fail when aiming for what they are not.

>posture change

They wouldn't do females because it requires different animations for an alternate body type.  The same can be said for what you ask (making them less alternate 'Kratos' costumes).

Message 4 of 29 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

May 2, 2012

I don't want to run around with 8 different versions of Kratos. The neutral posture of the character models need to be different. That little detail can help add character.

The weapons come with their own specific combat animations so custom neutral poses and victory animations could go a long way in making the characters feel unique.

Message 5 of 29 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
381 posts

May 2, 2012

what are you talking about?

I thought the game has Character customization?

they are not premade characters.

Papy is talking about the model for Kratos as it can't be done for females.

The kratos model is what we'll use to create our own character

black...
Message 6 of 29 (382 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10985 posts

May 2, 2012

Which is to say, you'll just have 8 different Kratos models running around.  It's not the development team being lazy, it's the development team slapping together a multiplayer mode where one does not belong.  Be happy with whatever you get.  As long as the Single Player remains the developers' focus, I don't care what they do with multiplayer.

Message 7 of 29 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5826 posts

May 3, 2012

The animation are all that of Kratos using the weapons.  They don't want the extra work (least of all to make alternate body types *female for instance* or to add personality that way *appearance, gear, weapons, etc. is about as far as they'll go*.

I have little reason to believe SP is their focus this time.  It will show.

Message 8 of 29 (382 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1293 posts

May 4, 2012

EnterTheTekken wrote:

I don't want to run around with 8 different versions of Kratos. The neutral posture of the character models need to be different. That little detail can help add character.

The weapons come with their own specific combat animations so custom neutral poses and victory animations could go a long way in making the characters feel unique.

Look, unfortunately (for you and the people who want MP), GoW was not meant for MP. Now, unfortunately (for me and others who loathe MP), they ARE making MP, but they are new born babies on the topic so you might as well lower your standards (and scrunity!) on the MP a bit; do not expect some revolutionary, fantastic MP. Perhaps good. Perhaps.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 29 (382 Views)
0 Likes