Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Re: GoW:A Multiplayer Ideas (last updated 5.31.12)

Jun 7, 2012

Updated 6.6.12

- Added EnterTheTekken's suggestion to the player suggestions

- Added Lag section

I updated the OP with a few minor changes.

If you search for "(6.6.12)" (without the quotes) you'll be able to pick out the different sections I updated.  Some contain just news, other contain simple suggestions.

As a note, I'm really excited about the MP.  Lots of way to approach each battle, improved combat and movements, ways to approach lag, tons of customization.  SSM seems to be doing this right!

Message 60 of 185 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Re: GoW:A Multiplayer Ideas (last updated 6.7.12)

Jun 7, 2012

Updated 6.7.12

- Added "beta" section to the OP

Message 61 of 185 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5827 posts

Jun 8, 2012

I'll be watching DSP muck it up with MP impressions soon enough.  Should be a horrid affair as he couldn't even tell MP from the SP demonstration seen not just hours before.  The boy isn't terribly...familiar with this series and perhaps his absolute weakest genre is this one (or maybe puzzle games *or perhaps stealth*).  I'm quite sure I'll loathe his every opinion on the matter, but that's just the sort of chap I expect shall be given more voice than me.

Had a chance to review some videos of MP beyond the official releases yourself?  I've detailed my impressions as things have been released (trying to piece together how it works).  Any disagreements, extra thoughts, etc.?  New ideas perhaps?  Amendments to old ones in the face of new information?  Obviously I have some changes to make to suggestions regarding 'temporary weapons' since "World Weapons" are part of the deal officially now (in some capacity).

Here we see some of the selections you would have at the E3 demo for the MP.  Two weapons, two spells, two armors, one stage, etc.  It wouldn't surprise me if we only had two (no more than four) main weapon options what with the 'World Weapon' system and other attributes being dispensed not too unlike Quake Arena.  Your selection for loadout (along with leveling for more options) and covenant set you apart in an otherwise even playing field using the core combat system (light, heavy, block, evade, tether, WW, magic, etc.).  That and the escape/heal which certainly has to be something for MP in place of the item system that I should expect of the SP unless they don't plan on giving us that many toys (then it would just be the 'Life Cycle' meter I'd presume).  Would be a shame, really.

Inputs seem as follows:

Square - Light

Triangle - Heavy *held for launcher*

X - Jump/Double Jump

Circle - World Weapons *mashed during lock-ups*

L1 - Block (Apparently parry might be the special light move using L1+R1)

L1+s - Light Special

L1+t - Heavy Special

L1+o - WW special

L1+x - Unknown

R1 - Tether (for OS, OH, option select, etc.) *interacts for altars, chests, WW, levers, etc.*

L2 - Escape/Heal

R2 - Magic

L3 - Unknown

R3 - Unknown

(L) - Move

(R) - Evade

NOTE: Punches when unarmed and a kick for the special.  Club has a swing (no clear string) and toss with AoE, Boots can spring or 'Rush' (launch), Blades seem to have Spirit of Hercules (only string?) and unknown special, Sword has chops (four hit string)/flurry (held?) and toss (special?) *not shown in MP*,  Javelin has spear tosses and Ares Barrage (special assumed) *not shown in MP*.  Hard to say if there is more, but you would think there will be a few more instead of more primary weapons.

Specials have a cooldown along with the escape/heal abilities.  No sign of an MP bar (curious).  I've yet to see anyone try evade moves, air strings, clearly define Tether options in MP (mount, ram, OS, OH, etc.), work magic, make clear the 'defensive light' seen in one vido (spell or special?), make a good show of WW, etc.

Sword of Zeus

L1+s - Valor of Zeus

L1+t - Might (?) of Olympus

Maul of Zeus

L1+s - Ascending Thunder

L1+t - Olympic Retribution

Couldn't read the rest because they switch around too much and go out of focus.

Armor of Morpheus is heavy with lots of protection against magic and little against physical.  I'd already spotted the similarities to the GoWIII case (high orb worth) before having the name made known.  Expect to see Phantom of Chaos (high EXP worth perhaps) and the others being reused.  Hercules had his attire repurposed and it might be meant for cutting damage dealt by physical means down to one-third as with the possession for that in GoWIII.  If they're taking bits from past entries, they have plenty of 'serious enough' cases to work with and still more they can easily add in, but it seems like we don't pick pieces so much as a FULL ATTIRE, so there won't be too much room for customizing loadouts.  You can forget having grieves of this, braces of that, gloves of X, helm of Y, etc.  That's how it looks right now and I don't doubt it shall remain that way.

They start with a simple tutorial that teaches very little beyond basics of basics.  They don't even try to teach about the parry mentioned in loadscreens.

Didn't catch the name of Ares, Poseidon or Hades weapon specials.  It really does seem likely Sword and Hammer are it with L1+s and L1+t for each being slightly different depending on your selected god.  We shall see.

Message 62 of 185 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jun 8, 2012

I would have made huge changes to the OP, but not much was stated about the MP was similarities with my OP and such.

Like customization, I simply stated what was changed in that area... What they revealed wasn't anything too different from what we've already known.

Though, the only weapons they did confirm were the 2h blade and the hammer, though I think they'll have more than 2 weapons when the game launches.  I mentioned how I think that the MP will have spears and 1h swords because of the single player demo that was shown. 

But, as for the world weapons, that was something similar to what you came up with before about "blessed weapons from the gods" or w/e.  Though, I don't know if you can attack with these weapons, I know that they are for the objective at least.

Message 63 of 185 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5827 posts

Jun 9, 2012

>weapons

I'm no longer of the mind that we will have more than two.  The Hammer and 2H Sword are it as far as I can tell.  At best one more main weapon given the number of changes made between them for four versions of it.  The World Weapons are where we can get extras (Club, Boots, 1H Sword, Javelin, Blades, etc.).  The Spear of Olympus is now very clearly NOT a weapon at all.  We can't even carry it around.

NOTE: I wonder if some of the MP WW will even be in SP as NG+ toys unlocked by possessions we can find.  Things like the Boots of Hermes.  As for some of the SP WW, I don't know that all of them will be in the MP, but I don't yet see why they shouldn't be if the likes of that ring-out king (Club) are allowed.

>WW

They are the same thing as in Bayonetta that they wanted in GoWIII, but didn't manage back then.  It is a carry over.  Hopefully they see to finishing still more.  Mounts gained player control, but lost enemy control.  Foe variety dipped, but that was expected on new hardware.  I don't know that I should expect this to change given the focus on MP though.

The WW are not objectives.  Merely dispensed around the map as with HP and MP orbs (other than chests for EXP).  The SoO is an objective along with the altars we capture in 'Favor' mode.

Message 64 of 185 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jun 9, 2012

GodModeGOD wrote:

>weapons

I'm no longer of the mind that we will have more than two.  T

There's no way anyone would put 2 weapons in the MP....no one in their right mind.  I'm sure they're holding off on weapons for balance or "hey lets show off what we've got" reasons.

Message 65 of 185 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5827 posts

Jun 10, 2012

>no one in their right mind

I'm not saying they are in such a mental state.  Just that it is extremely likely that the two weapons (having four variations each) bring things up to '8 weapons' in their eyes aside from the World Weapons that expand your reportoire notably along with the gear and spell you pick for your boy.  I was thinking there might be a 'spear' or something as the last weapon type (based on the SoO),  but it isn't looking like that will be the case at all.

~Silly as it might sound, I might just be right about this.  It is their first crack at this and they do have to make a serious SP effort at the same time.  The testing of the extra maps and game modes might be distracting from the time to create even a third primary weapon.  But who knows?  Maybe we'll get four total.  Hell, one extra could be DLC related in post release (made out to be a big deal as such).  Could be one of their tricks.

Message 66 of 185 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jun 10, 2012

I just don't see it happening realistically.  The point of the MP is to get people hooked, and keep playing.  If you add 2 weapons to a MP, it's going to get pretty boring pretty fast.

Granted I would have picked the 2h sword anyway, it just doesn't offer enough variety.  You might enjoy it a bit at first but matches would just get too repetative. 

There are games out there where you can have tons of weapons with hundreds of unlockables for that, but in GoW: A you have 2 weapons. 

I just don't see this as being a real thing.  They have tons of other possibilities like spears, 1h swords, the chained blades.  They've shown us they can do those in SP and they're supposed to be borrowing like all the code from SP...

I myself don't know how long I'd be able to play this game, with only 2 weapon choices. 

Message 67 of 185 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5827 posts

Jun 11, 2012

>realistically

We have a different sense of realism then.

>going to get boring pretty fast

Exactly what I expect of those they are appealing to with a MP in the first place.  I don't expect to be proven wrong any time soon.

>SP elements

Not all of them.  They're reducing the Blades to a simplified WW so we can't fully ape Kratos.

>other possibilities

That would MUCH more easily become WW.  Far less work is what it boils down to.

>with just two weapons

You said yourself you would just use one anyway.  That's how it was in GoWIII with all those 'chain weapons'.  It fell to vets to work with the others at length.  At least Cestus had a sort of simple appeal that tends to work.  Elements of 'tether' would have improved the othe CG variants.

The majority don't do focus runs with each weapon, spell, item, relic, etc.  They don't do challenge runs and the like either.  They play through on Normal and might try the challenges.  Some aim slightly higher for the sake of an easy Plat.  They'll be using MP trophies (I'm sure) to bait people into the illusion of a great replay value.  I imagine the SP will have a healthy amount of backtracking (like GoWIII).

I could go on, but there is no need of it.  For now, we wait for more.  They really would be wise to release the E3 version of the SP/MP for free testing (the sooner the better).

Message 68 of 185 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jun 11, 2012

I agree.

I put a "beta" section in my OP, because a beta is something I think they really need, especially considering it's their very first MP.

A beta of a solid build they have of the game (limited, but somewhat solid build) is something fans and testers need. 

It's something they could benefit from immensly. 

Message 69 of 185 (160 Views)
0 Likes