Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 16 2013
By: DJMadCow Uncharted Territory 1340 posts

Cistern painting discussion (contains SPOILERS)

[ Edited ]
11 replies 2845 views Edited Apr 16, 2013

By now I think many have noticed the easter egg painting in the Cistern (if you're having trouble with it check out IGN's breakdown http://www.ign.com/wikis/god-of-war-ascension/Cistern_Painting_Code_(QUJIKPHIUEEEKMJQUJ)

Many are guessing this is referring to the next GoW game. Thought I would start this thread to promote speculation regarding what the clues could mean.

When you first look at the Cistern painting, it looks like a castle situated on a mountain (appears to be Olympus?). You also have the quote from Alethera which states:

"Of all the prophecies I have seen, this one haunts my dreams.

QUJIKPHIUEEEKMJQUJ

The full truth of this nightmare yet remains hidden."

original painting.jpg

If the painting is indeed Olympus, then Alethera is probably seeing its destruction which we witness in GoW3. The QUJIKPHIUEEEKMJQUJ part is a cipher (a secret or disguised way of writing; a code), which when decoded yields SUN BIRD BULL LION SUN. These correspond to the tiles on the floor of the cistern and when you press R1 at each, causes the Cistern painting to change.

new painting.jpg

In the new painting image, you see what appears to be earth with more than half of it surrounded in darkness, while on the left side of the planet there is a bright light; there is also a dividing line separating the part of the planet covered in darkness and the part exposed to the light. There is also a new caption that reads "When the earth stops, the journey begins..." Perhaps this signifies that an event occurs after the destruction of Olympus (i.e. the world "stopping" since many of the gods have fallen); the event signified by the bright light. But what event could it be?

I surfed the web regarding the symbols of the code (SUN BIRD BULL LION SUN) and came across some interesting suggestions on other sites. One thing mentioned by others that struck me as well is the reference to symbols in the tauroctony scene, which is considered a central icon in the Mithraic mysteries (a mystery religion practiced in the Roman Empire from the 1st to 4th centuries AD). Mystery religions were considered religious cults of the Greco-Roman world; those who participated had to be initiated.

In the tauroctony scene, it shows the deity Mithra killing a bull. Also depicted in the left and right hand corners of the scene are the busts of Sol, the Roman god of the sun and Luna, the Roman goddess of the moon. There are also images/references to several astrological constellations in the scene, including Leo the Lion and Korvus the Raven (a bird). There are many interpretations for the scene and what it really means/signifies no one really knows for sure since there was so much secrecy surrounding Mithraism in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tauroctony

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraic_Mysteries

Mithra (or Mithras, which was the Greek form of the name) was an ancient Persian deity who was later adopted by Rome as well. In Persia he is god of the morning sun; in Indo-Iranian mythology he is god of light; he has also been known as god of truth and lord of heavenly light, light of the world, and was also considered a saviour for man. As a god of light, he has been associated with the Greek sun god Helios and Roman sun god Sol Invictus. As per myth, Mithras was born from a rock (literally the earth itself) carrying a torch in one hand and a sword/knife in the other. Perhaps the light we see the painting signifies the birth of Mithras? At the end of GoW3, mankind was in pretty bad shape... perhaps Mithras will become their saviour?

Just throwing stuff out there. Figured it would be something interesting to do while waiting for the MP patch lol :smileyvery-happy:

Try "Die for Olympus" in GoWA MP. Click sig to see how
Message 1 of 12 (2,845 Views)
Splicer
86 posts

Re: Cistern painting discussion (contains SPOILERS)

Apr 16, 2013

Well, the painting is very similar to the end of God of War 3. The world was in darkness and when Kratos kills himself, he releases the power that Athena put on Pandora's Box and starts to free the world from all the crap he did by killing the gods (kinda like the painting). But I dont think they would create such puzzle for showing what we already knew, although the painting is just probably setting the scenario, "when the Earth stops, the journey begins..."

Hard to tell where they would go from now though. 

Message 2 of 12 (2,834 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1944 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 16, 2013

Yeah kinda hard to tell what they are going with this painting.

What I think it is about GoW4, when Kratos destroyed Olympus the world is starting to end. And one of the things was the world stopped moving, probably cuz of gaias death. And now there is going to be a new journey that begins to go and save the world from destruction.

That light might just be the sun, but who knows. If it is, it might be Apollo taking the thrown as the sun god, but still who knows.

Message 3 of 12 (2,824 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1340 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2013

Interesting thought... perhaps Apollo and the other surviving gods (Artemis, Aphrodite, Morpheus, etc) band together to try to stop the world from ending? Maybe they revive the injured Kratos since he had a role in causing all this, so he should one of chosen to help fix it?

Just adding to the discussion. Like you guys have said, it's not very clear, hence this thread to talk about the possibilities of what it could mean.

Message 4 of 12 (2,790 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Apr 17, 2013
I don't know what to think. I don't even know if I want another kratos game. I'm just going to wait an see what Santa Monica do. I think they are going to finally innovate the series. Because people are starting to say that every god of war is the same game and that Santa Monica is milking it. They must know that if they have a God of War on the ps4 that plays exactly like every other gow people are going to go crazy. Same thing with kratos. People will think that they are milking kratos cus his story ended in gow3. All I know is that they have to make big changes to gow and they have to make a new character. I know kratos is a huge famous character and he's one of the faces of PlayStation (along with Nathan Drake and snake and Cole mgrath) but I don't see a way they can continue kratos' story without it feeling forced and milked
Message 5 of 12 (2,769 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1340 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Just another thought that crossed my mind. What if the darkness that we see in the new painting image represents Nyx (the goddess/personification of night) taking over?

Only reason I bring this up was because there was that huge female statue in the SP campaign during the Trials of Archimedes.

female statue in SP.jpgThe

The God of War wiki site indicates this is Nyx (http://godofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Nyx). There was also another thread on the forum which asked the ques who this was; others also thought it was Nyx since there was a note about her on the floor near this part of the game (I can't remember what exactly it said). Link to that thread is here http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/God-of-War-Ascension-General/who-is-the-female-statue/m-p/399...

Is this a clue as to what's to come in the future (similar to ppl speculating Apollo could be the 5th god allegiance in MP since there were references to him in the SP campaign which included his giant statue)?

In Greek Mythology, Nyx was a shadowy figure only ever seen in glimpses and apparently was present at or near the beginning of creation; even Zeus was wary of her wrath. Could the fall of Olympus in GoW3 be when she decides to make her move?

Just throwing stuff out there. Thought it would add to the conversation :smileyhappy:

Message 6 of 12 (2,698 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1944 posts

Apr 30, 2013

That would be cool, having Nyx as the final boss. As she just wants to keep the world in darkness.

Hmm... Kratos might need Apollo(if he is even alive) to become the new sun god to make it so there would be light in the world again and make Nyx weaker or something like that.

Message 7 of 12 (2,687 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2926 posts

May 1, 2013
Not sure if/how it affects your ideas but Erebus is darkness, Nyx is night.

Hades vs Kratos on Make A Gif
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif
Message 8 of 12 (2,671 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1346 posts

[ Edited ]
May 1, 2013
Heh.. Kratos story is NOT over.. Gow 3 ending was a damned cliffhanger.. Having a Kratos based gow game taking place after GoW 3 is absolutely necessary and all gow fans are gonna eat it up no matter how much it plays similar to others.. The graphics on a ps4 gow will be everloving insane that is for sure
Message 9 of 12 (2,669 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1944 posts

May 1, 2013

@Vampire_Damian

Yes, I know that Nyx is the goddess of the night, its just she is also at times personificated as the goddess of darkness. The reason why is cuz her husband/lover/who ever Erebus is too her, is the God of Darkness so inways she took the throne as the goddess of darkness.

And its just stuff I have read so Im not even sure if it is right or not, but it does seem reasonable

Message 10 of 12 (2,019 Views)
0 Likes