photo f797777c-46dc-4bc6-aa23-257ca99d60c6_zps6040a0e4.jpg
Message 81 of 126 (314 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Ascension Official Demo Impressions Thread

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2013

First off, let me tell you that the first time I played through the demo, I felt so fatigued and overall disappointed, I almost instantly thought of cancelling my so enthusiastically made preorder.
To be honest, the only reason I started to look for other people's impressions of the demo online was that I was really wondering if I was the only one not catching any fire by that demo.
One look at lame Neogaf's thread confirmed that I was NOT the only one.
Well, thing is... I don't know what I expected - or maybe, I knew it all too well. All I had in mind going in was that awesomely unbelievable Poseidon intro from GOW3, and not even one moment from that game achieved to top its own introduction. And now this. Didn't even feel like trying...

B-U-T  THEN    I committed myself to a second round of GOW:A, to see if my own arguing could indeed hold up to the reality of the demo. So, I started it again, knowing what would happen, knowing where to go, what to do.

One would think the lack of even small surprises would kill some of the fun anyway, BUT I WAS DAZZLED!

It really hit me then. That stupid stupid Poseidon/Gaia-thing that hadn't even been as much fun to play, was totally responsible for clouding my senses the first time, and I'm so glad I gave it another chance.

As much as I had been bored by all those redundant little bug enemies, as much as I had hated everything from sound issues and gameplay to weird animations and generic hand monsters, the second time I LOVED it all.

Sure, the sound and music issues  are definitely present, but everything else felt so fresh and just utterly FUN to me the second time. Having wiped my mind from all those Gaia-memories really opened it up to experience incredible thrills. Gameplay is soo much fun, especially compared to GOW3. Story feels far more interesting than in GOW3 because it's not as predictable as just going out to kill all the gods there are. I now really appreciated the changes to the combat gameplay and the sheer fluidity that just wasn't there in the predecessor. I felt like there were some framerate drops the first time, but I didn't see or feel ANY drops or judder the second time. I loved the graphics, the animations, the combat, the climbing, the pick up weapons, those beautiful beutiful firework-y particle effects, the new grapple, the QTEs, everything!

So for all those people disappointed by the demo, give it another try, cause Poseidon and Gaia now feel as stiff as the combat gameplay in GOW3.

Having just finished my FOURTH playthrough, I still don't feel the smallest degree of saturation. Even the bugs are so much fun to fight if you've adapted to the new controls. I've never been so amazed by a single demo, not to mention one that initially disappointed me as much as I've never been disappointed by one. I'm looking forward to the game and I would like to thank you, Santa Monica, because fun gameplay is something that most games today do not even aspire to, and to find it in a late sequel of an always-more-of-the-same-series, is a blessing and a great achievement!

Now, the only thing I want to add is that while I can see where all those complaints about readability and camera come from, I don't share them and I hope the far zoom will not change in the final game, because as rare as these things even occur, I would prefer SSM stay true to their vision.(And this is the opening on a giant moving mountain, so exceptions are allowed here, I guess).

And the same goes for audio. I set all sound sliders to 45 while keeping music at 100. It considerably enhanced the sound experience. Sure, the oomph-intensity of the music is still lacking and the other few sound issues prevail, but when the fury says 'Reeespect!' or the hand of the Hecaton is infected by the bugs, these are moments of sound design that, especially in the hand's case, I have never experienced. So I hope, when improving the audio for the final disc and eradicating the sound issues, I really wouldn't want that exaggerated volume of the hand moment to suffer for it. That hand is so much louder than any other sound effects in the demo and it's absolutely grandiose. So creepy and such a cool effect. Also I love how the bursting-out of the monster is then again NOT as overly loud as that mindf****ing stretching of the fingers.

So please no compromises to the insane dynamic range in that moment. I can picture myself playing the demo a hundred times more just for the sake of seeing and hearing those fingers again. Great kudos to the sound designers.

That's all for now. Sorry for such a long read Smiley Happy And don't be confused about those more than one disappointed players. I was one of them. 

Message 82 of 126 (286 Views)
I Only Post Everything
997 posts

Mar 1, 2013
there it go garybig took you 2 shots in order to see it but you did thes all that count for me all it took was 1 play through of it and i know the games was beast freaking mode
Message 83 of 126 (271 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
997 posts

Mar 1, 2013
I want all the god's of war games to be re make whit this engine so they can all feal us good us gOwA
Message 84 of 126 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
279 posts

Mar 1, 2013

really???....are people trolling......

Message 85 of 126 (256 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
997 posts

Mar 1, 2013
you talking to thos who think this game is a beast or thos who think this game suck cuz if you mean thos who think this is the best looking and smoothes game this year you that one trolling then cuz is a FAQ THIS GAME ROCK
Message 86 of 126 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
674 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2013

Galibis wrote:
flint then put it on the harder Difficulty there is and call it a day and i don't know the enemies look ok to me it feal like a god of war game only deference is that it is a **bleep** Master Piece they my even add another Difficulty and call it God Of War Heroic mode Just for you Flint
Wow, calm down. It's pure fact that accomplishing finishing moves is ridiculously easy, as opposed to the other titles (especially GOW 1) where you really have to be on top of the button prompts.
I am a very average player, not amazing at all, so I think if an average player finds "
Message 87 of 126 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
674 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Okay, this is getting annoying...the forum keeps cutting my posts. Let's try again.

I'm average. If an average player finds normal difficulty extremely easy, I think that's a problem.

I love the combat, love the look and can't wait to get my copy. I just think, based on the demo, that there's a lot more hand holding in the game than the previous GOW titles.

Message 88 of 126 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Mar 1, 2013
_
Well the demo was on easy or normal so you can't expect it to be hard.

Message 89 of 126 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Re:

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2015

Message 90 of 126 (378 Views)
0 Likes