First Son
2 posts

Re: Ascension Official Demo Impressions Thread

Feb 27, 2013

Great demo, SSM! Enjoyed it thoroughly and VERY epic in scope. 

There were a few problems I had with it, as has been mentioned previously. The sound design is a little 'off' in places.  I game on my Razer Orca headphones, and one can tell every single detail without a hitch. The blades, especially when Kratos slams them on the ground, sound majestic and very bass-heavy. Just how it should be. However, some other sound effects lack that level of bass or 'oomph' as some have said. Prime example is when the level turns on the side and the boss is rammed into the gate. That bit could be a bit more bombastic (?) than it was in the demo.

The music should be a bit amped as well. I remember it erupting out of the speakers in GoW 3. That was not the case here, as it sounded a tad bit muted.

If these two issues are corrected, I believe this game can up the level in every way possible compared to the previous titles. It's the immersion that breaks when the sound design is not spot-on. If looked into, it would be great!

Message 41 of 126 (371 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Feb 27, 2013

Is the demo bulid last build, because the video on ign showing first 30 minutes of gameplay looks much better to me than the demo. Is it just me, or its real Smiley Wink

Message 42 of 126 (352 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
130 posts

Feb 27, 2013

GREAT JOB VERY excellent graphics MUSIC SOUND EFFECTS ON ENVIRONMENT GOD BUT GREAT BAR uncool IRA

...........MUERE MORTAL
Message 43 of 126 (322 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Feb 27, 2013

i throughly enjoyed the demo. as for impressions, there was alot you guys did right. the combat feels just as fluid as ever. the subtle changes such as a physical attack and more options when you grab an enemy really fit in well and only make the combat mor imersive that any God Of War game that has coe before. you've done a good job setting up what could posibly happen in the story with all the scribe notes left throughout the demo, and it genuinly makes me want to play the game( which i already have the collectors addition pre-ordered.) to se what you guys do with the story. there are, however, 2 main complaints i have with the demo. you guys have added in a rage meter, which was intantly made pointless when i found a relic that instantly fills the rage meter when i have it active. it seems like something that ust really doesnt need to be there. also i would have liked to sample some of the magic abilities you guys have in store ofor us. other that that, this is shaping up to be my favorite God Of War game to date.

Message 44 of 126 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 28, 2013

I was actually a little disappointed with this demo...

At no point did the graphics make me go "Wow!". They're pretty much the exact same as they were in GoW3 save for maybe Kratos looking even better. Everything else seemed kind of blurry and lacking in detail and you never really get a close look at anything. Maybe it'll have inconsistent visuals just like GoW3... I mean, look at Hera in GoW3 compared to Kratos or Hercules. She looked like something out of a PS2 game.

The combat is awesome as was expected. Definitely the BEST it has ever been in the series and I just KNOW it will be very addictive. Love the new chain grappling and world weapons. Also love the sound effects for the Blades of Chaos. They sound so powerful now.

I was also pleasantly surprised when I looked in the menu and saw about 6 or 7 empty slots that look like they could be for upgradable weapons... If that is true... That would be AWESOME!

Hmmm, what else? Oh, the music was just okay. I'm not really sure what to expect from the rest of the game since none of the previous composers worked on this game... which sucks. The GoW series has always had some of the best game music ever, especially GoW2. I do remember liking what I heard in the multiplayer beta lobby, though... So I'll just wait and see if it can stand up GoW1 and 2's soundtracks.

The dialougue was cheesy and lame as usual, especially from that Fury lady trying too hard to sound dark and sinister. Too much "YOU WILL DIE HERE, MORTAL!" *obligatory evil laugh* corniness, but that's always been in GoW (less so in GoW1),  so I don't really mind. I'm sure nothing can outdo Athena in GoW3... Gosh... Her dialogue, voice acting and appearance was like something out of some bad '90s fantasy miniseries or something. Oh, and don't get me started on Pandora. Kratos should've just murdered her ASAP when he found her.

Well, yeah, that's my impression of the game. It was good but not as great as I thought it would be. I'll definitely still be getting it.

Message 45 of 126 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

Feb 28, 2013
Everything feels too much of the same with little improvement. The R1 chain cling is nice alongside controlling the big club guys, but these feel like things that should have been in games ago. I want to see how much more new combat feature are in when it comes out. The regular chain attacks feel very boring to use after a couple of games.
Message 46 of 126 (258 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Feb 28, 2013

Did the lighting get downgraded?  There doesn't seem to be as much radiosity from blades/opening chests as in 3.  

Also, while climbing feels better, it seems a little too automatic.  For instance at the bottom of the sewers, I saw a Hecatonchires scribe, but already started climbing and couldn't jump down to the ground anymore to get it.  I know in the other games you were able to disconnect from a climb.  I just hope the game doesn't "hold the player's hand" too much.  

All in all though the demo was some of the best GoW yet.  

Message 47 of 126 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Feb 28, 2013
I agree to BlamelessBoo's comment 100%.

Message 48 of 126 (217 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
997 posts

Feb 28, 2013

what can i say the i have not say oready went  allot of this   know it all where saying gowA will not look good or it dont look us good us gow3 i say plzz shut your mouth and know your roll GoWa will destroy gow3 Graphics wise and **bleep** it  theres no better looking 720p out there in Any of the consoles or even pc the can match how SEXY GOWA look make you feal like  the ps3 power just got toch   make you wish there was no ps4 this year cuz  god ps3 is on a whole other level now days last of us and  god of war Ascension is showing  what that ps3 can really do and i bet you anything if they r eally wanted to that new killzone game could have run on that PS3

photo f797777c-46dc-4bc6-aa23-257ca99d60c6_zps6040a0e4.jpg
Message 49 of 126 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Feb 28, 2013
I found it a bit difficult to keep an eye on kratos. So much going on! But i loved it.
Message 50 of 126 (162 Views)
0 Likes