First Son
2 posts

Re: Ascension Official Demo Impressions Thread

Feb 27, 2013
Hey Tank,

I can't remember who said it exactly but it was to do with the E3 Demo... I'm not sure if its just the Demo and that there may be some data issues that are missing cos its a big file and would take ages to download but.. Water splashes from Charybdis are missing and also I noticed it in the Multiplayer beta... When you kill someone say with a sword and chop him in half... No blood spurts out yet your player still ends up with blood on him?...

For the 'Prison Of The Damned' Demo everything was brilliant... The attention to detail is honestly.. Exceptional!! When Kratos climbs the side of Aegeon... The fields,roads,rivers,birds below him just really do give it that sense of scale and detail... Music however could be turned up I think too..

Its good to see that Sony Santa Monica still have some imagination.. And have researched deeper intho mythology and used different creatures this time

2 weeks count down for the game.. Can't wait
Message 31 of 126 (381 Views)
Sackboy
503 posts

Feb 27, 2013
Vikings eh? Is that hinting for ps4's "god of war" or new franchise's name direction? Smiley Very Happy Can't wait for Ascension and whatever the future of Santa Monica holds in store! We're lucky that we have great studios like Naughty Dog and Santa Monica. :'D
Message 32 of 126 (371 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 27, 2013

Great demo!!! The visual details like the pores on the skin of Kratos, the spatial depth and the background becoming part of the action were really awesome. I also liked the roller coaster ride camera style combined with twisting and turning of the perspective during boss fights, although this is nothing new.

But, as has been said before, at some times the wide-angle camera is too far away from the action and makes it hard to tell where exactly Kratos is. Especially during the part where the prison is rotated by those giant hands and Kratos is surrounded by enemies.

Music was also an issue, but that has been criticized enough, I guess.

The thing that I missed the most was Kratos’ surge of emotion. During the first 3 games and particularly in GoW3, Kratos was always seething with anger, shouting and roaring while ripping his enemies to pieces, bludgeoning them to death with his bare hands. I could really feel his wrath and got carried away by it, like I was controlling a raging bull on a killing spree slaughtering his way through Greek mythology. That’s what I didn’t feel during the demo, but maybe during the full game, since this was only a 30-minute part of it.

Thx a million, SSM, for your enormous efforts in creating a breath-taking gaming experience for us!

Greetz from Germany

Message 33 of 126 (329 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Feb 27, 2013

So I dl'd the SP demo yesterday afternoon and after a greeting from Todd Pappy and a trailer for some viking show.... which looks cool. I got to the demo.

Thus far I am pleased.  The scale is fantastic, the game look beautiful, and of course playing as good ol' Kratos makes me feel like an uber bada$$!  Combos feel smooth and easy to execute.  The use of sword felt great to me. Better than previous additional weapons have.  I did not get to finish the demo as life got in the way but I imagine I got through most of it.  Well played SMS, you have pleased the gods.

Message 34 of 126 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2013

GrinseMichel666 wrote:

Great demo!!! The visual details like the pores on the skin of Kratos, the spatial depth and the background becoming part of the action were really awesome. I also liked the roller coaster ride camera style combined with twisting and turning of the perspective during boss fights, although this is nothing new.

But, as has been said before, at some times the wide-angle camera is too far away from the action and makes it hard to tell where exactly Kratos is. Especially during the part where the prison is rotated by those giant hands and Kratos is surrounded by enemies.

Music was also an issue, but that has been criticized enough, I guess.

The thing that I missed the most was Kratos’ surge of emotion. During the first 3 games and particularly in GoW3, Kratos was always seething with anger, shouting and roaring while ripping his enemies to pieces, bludgeoning them to death with his bare hands. I could really feel his wrath and got carried away by it, like I was controlling a raging bull on a killing spree slaughtering his way through Greek mythology. That’s what I didn’t feel during the demo, but maybe during the full game, since this was only a 30-minute part of it.

Thx a million, SSM, for your enormous efforts in creating a breath-taking gaming experience for us!

Greetz from Germany

this game is present about emotion about Kratos after his wife and child are dead and maybe present why he become heartless after event of this game not just his anger and rage like previous game.

Message 35 of 126 (291 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 27, 2013

I'm glad about your works @SonySantaMonica . The game is simply awesome. That's it!

twitter.com/MkillerWhale
Message 36 of 126 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11799 posts

Feb 27, 2013

Does anybody find the weapon upgrade menu a tad clunky? The 3D rotation is cool but I felt like the font was a tad awkward and out of place......just my opinion Smiley Tongue

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 37 of 126 (256 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 27, 2013

peck_godofwar wrote:

this game is present about emotion about Kratos after his wife and child are dead and maybe present why he become heartless after event of this game not just his anger and rage like previous game.

I totally get your point. And I already thought about that, too. Since Kratos’ anger at those treacherous gods that betrayed him several times has increased during the last 3 episodes, and this being a prequel to them, he’s yet on the brink of becoming the badass mofo that he turned into.

Hence, at the beginning of Ascension it may well be that Kratos might be a rather “nice/normal” guy. And I really like to witness how his mental transformation takes place, due to the psychological trauma that he suffers from killing his wife and daughter. This in turn will then lead to Kratos preparing himself for some serious, rampant butt-kicking in order to vent his anger!

I’m pretty certain that we’ll get to experience this process during the course of the entire game.

Message 38 of 126 (255 Views)
Last Guardian
11799 posts

Feb 27, 2013

And the fact tht I couldnt get the demo to run 1080 0r even 720.....sad bcuz going from Gow 3 on 1080 to the demo at 480 was not the most exciting thing to see.......

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 39 of 126 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
130 posts

Feb 27, 2013

SPECTACULAR GREAT JOB. The only slight COSTS WHEN MANY ENEMIES KRATOS know where. EXAMPLE HAND CATCHING THE HOUSE LITTLE SPACE, many enemies, and too far, a little closer would be better.

OMEGA SYMBOL DOES have some effect VISUAL SUCH AS FIRE WHEN LOADING. ? GOW3 graphs VI THE BEST IS BETTER FOR THE DEMO .... THANK YOU AND AGAIN GREAT JOB

...........MUERE MORTAL
Message 40 of 126 (234 Views)
0 Likes