Jan 12 2013
By: alacarpa Hekseville Citizen 347 posts

About SP extras...

5 replies 484 views Edited Jan 12, 2013

I was wondering about how the extras(combat arena, challenges, costumes...) will be. 

Hope that there are more than two different location for the combat arena, in GoW3 there were only 2... pretty dissappointing.

Make the challenges actually... wel... challenging. The mayority of GoW3 challenges where easy. Make them more like GoW 1 OR 2.

Make some awesome costumes. Like making kratos skin normal, before he became the GoS, the dominus skin would be great, and a lot more.

Message 1 of 6 (484 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Re: About SP extras...

Jan 12, 2013

>not reading up
Do you even lift?: http://www.gamespot.com/unions/TUGOWU/forums/29208930/tugowu-gowa-comprehensive-thread

>how the extras will be
Specifics?  We don't have them.  Just tidbits.  Arena is in.  Temple of Zeus might make it.  Challenges are in.  Costumes are in.  NG+ is in.  NG+1 is noted (but not promised).

>locations
What does it matter when they are all just circular arenas with no ring-out and invisible walls?  No environmental hazards, terrain advantage, etc.  It's just window dressing, son.  GoS had an Arena with water effects on the ground.  That's sort of cute, but doesn't do anything.  GoWIII could have had rain in a storm, but that doesn't really change the fights either.

The standard arena had bumps that did provide some tactical value (hazard to us and foes), but it was minimal.  The dark version of that map was neat for the player effect being nearly unable to see foes has.

Maps don't have to be anything amazing to look at.  They need to be interesting places to fight.  And the 'Arena' does not literally have to be some open circular place to fight.  I understand they don't want to do much with the camera there.  They just need to put holes in the ground, take down invisible walls, add fire or gorgon traps on the walls, floor spikes, conveyors, dart traps, crushers/grinders, etc.  Make such fancy things DLC if they must.

>make challenges more challenging
The DLC challenge for Switch Blade bothered people for being timed, but also making them work with the other weapons they otherwise avoided.  Hades Kids 2 takes some work to get used to.  Fear Kratos was cute, but not all that hard unless you try to get used to fighting directly rather than abusing range.  But, yes.  It was lacking some things.

>more like GoW1
Puzzle/platforming challenges?  No breaks between them?

>more like GoWII
Ranked?  Bonus objectives?

Elements from each can be taken. Lessons learned from the past.  There are plenty of things that can be said about challenges and many 'challenge types' that are open to being recurring types worth having in each new game (aside from the new/novel).

>awesome costumes
Challenges are last minute. Costumes too.  They are lazy with the former and the latter is now DLC territory.  If they even bother with more costumes, don't be surprised if they put in a joke costume.  With how much it takes for them to get a costume in (new graphics are to blame along with cutscenes using them), I expect that we'll be quite limited in appearance (and they are unimaginative with the stats as it is).

NOTE: I've  been over all this many times.

It is quick and easy to make many of the costumes.  Take the default Kratos rig in this entry for example.  Take away the ashes.  General Kratos/Fist of Ares.  Port the 'Dominus' Armor and put it on GK.  Captain Kratos.  Going back to default, damage the skirt and add bandages.  GoW1 Kratos (Ghost of Sparta/Champion of Athena/Slave of the Gods).  Port the GoWIII rig and you cover "Fallen God" (GoWII/GoWIII).  More so with the Golden Fleece (if only cosmetic).  Taking that base of the destroyed God Armor, make the full version *this would be the first of the suggestions taking some actual work to make*.

Going back to the ported GoWIII rig, just add a 'blue aura' (port of RoS) and call it "Hope Kratos".  Port "Fear Kratos" as it was and you've got another (sub the red tattoo for gold and make gold trim for the skirt and you've got Dark Odyssey from GoWII).

Another simple palette swap is possible, but I'd rather have a non-simple case like Blue Kratos (concept art):

Blue Kratos concept art

Alternate Tattoo pattern, alternate color scheme ('Blue' isn't quite accurate to what it is), some hair, wild facial hair, even more ragged skirt, spiked armor (and chains), alternate Blades *too much to ask for*, more scars, whited out eye and golden (glowing) eye.  More than just a palette swap with some neat armor (Morpheus Armor Kratos). *who also had black eyes and a white tongue*

For some reason there are those that like Deimos and many did not get to use him in GoWIII.  Just provide a port of that costume for this rig.  Simple enough.  Why not port ALL the costumes of GoWIII (as most were DLC and lots weren't even available on PSN for a long time *if ever*).

Regarding stats, there are a few types that are to be expected:

-Low Armor, High Power (Glass Cannon)
-High Armor, Low Power (Nerf Tank)

-Vanilla 200 (200 on all stats)

-Challenge costume (all stats at half or less) *with high EXP worth usually*

-Very High Recovery (High orb worth)

There are those with perks, but many can be covered via possessions.  As for what cannot, have some that make grabs stronger, collisions stronger (because the mechanic was ruined in GoWIII), make sub-weapons deal more damage, orb drops per hit, etc.

GK was the challenge costume in GoWII.  Captain Kratos should be even more challenging to use (a more extreme version of GK). *or a simple Nerf Tank thanks to the armor*  Because of how collisions work in GoWIII (and now GoW:A), I'd propose the perk of GK being 5x *if not 10x* collision damage.  At least one costume would honor the old system.  Rather than make magic open to Power %, just have a costume that does this.  Hope Kratos could just be all amazing (500+) stats while having infinite magic, health and instant cooldown.  Fear Kratos could just be used as a super Glass Cannon again.

They had a Civilian Kratos attire for concept art, but won't use it.  Another possible costume would be Kratos without all the nonsense (the ashes, scar from youth and tattoo *all removed*).  Just a raw young man in a Toga (like Civilian Kratos).  But I'd rather take that and put him in historically accurate Spartan armor.  With King Leonidas considered, I should think they can reach an agreement for having a "300" Kratos (stylized Spartan appearance as with Legionnaire Kratos in GoS).

It's really quite easy to come up with these ideas.  The early ones are especially good for not taking much work to put in (Captain Kratos, General Kratos, Ghost of Sparta and Fallen God).  Porting cases too (Deimos, Morpheus Armor, Fear, etc.).  Hope is a simple change to what exists.  Some would take a  bit of work.  Others would take a bit more (God Armor and Blue Kratos).  But then there are the neat ones that would not fit the rig (Athena, Hades, Ares, etc.).  Pity that the PS3 is the cause for us not being able to have them as costumes.

As a reference to a chap who loves playing 'the little girl', Rocky Horror Kratos (aka Queen of War, God of Drag, etc.) would be cross-dressing time as we cannot have an actual female costume on the model/rig.  A way to call out all the whining about this for SP (and MP) from some of the noisey gents of this place.  Lots of possible jokes costumes.  Hell, dress Kratos up like 'Madoka' and the like.  Make him a 'magic girl' in reference to all my antics in Versus threads.  Make him "Cirno" to be "the strongest".  Or maybe parody other Action heroes *Bayonetta, Ryu, Dante (DMC), Dante (DmC), Raiden (MGR), Dante (DI), War (Darksiders), Prince (PoP), etc.*  This besides a "Gimp of War" where he's in S&M gear swinging purple dildos around rather than Blades.  Got to keep it classy.  Maybe 'censor' his weapons in 90's fashion.

~Just don't bore me again.

Message 2 of 6 (478 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
347 posts

Jan 12, 2013

>more like GoW1
Puzzle/platforming challenges?  No breaks between them?

>more like GoWII
Ranked?  Bonus objectives?

Maybe a combination of those, or find a balance between them

-~Just don't bore me again.

If you don't want to get bored, then why you read the post?

Message 3 of 6 (474 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Jan 13, 2013
You misunderstand, Carp. I mean to say the challenges are sometimes a bore. I don't want the devs to fail to thrill me.
Message 4 of 6 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
347 posts

Jan 13, 2013

GodModeGOD wrote:
You misunderstand, Carp. I mean to say the challenges are sometimes a bore. I don't want the devs to fail to thrill me.

Sorry, my mistake. 

-I don't want the devs to fail to thrill me.

Me neither, lets hope they're actually challenging.

Message 5 of 6 (450 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Given their preference for casuals and making challenges as afterthoughts, I'm not holding out too much hope. The trophies will be gimmes.
Message 6 of 6 (397 Views)
0 Likes