Aug 28 2008
By: Fichero I Only Post Everything 1199 posts

"MagicBright" and "MagicColor" Problems on Samsung Monitor

6 replies 4297 views Edited Aug 28, 2008

Well, I have a new Samsung T240 computer monitor that I am using for my PS3.

I set my RGB Range to Full because I heard that is what is best for computer monitors.

While I was self-calibrating my monitor. I discovered 2 options I have never seen before on a monitor. "MagicBright" and "MagicColor."

So, I turned them on to see what they were about. Well, first I tried out MagicBright. It turns out my old monitor had something similar only it was called "Engine Selection" It gave me the option of Custom, text, internet, movie, sports, game, and "Dyanmic Contrast." I had never seen Dynamic Contrast before, so I turned it on and BOOM. Everything looked excellent. The colors definitely popped off of the screen, and when I went to a black screen it turned almost completely black.

What I assume it does is it adjusts the backlight to compensate for the overal image. For example, when I view the black PS menu, everything goes dim (even the white text). And when I view the open sky on warhawk it gets extremely bright. I thought that this was perfect (aside from the annoying changes of the backlight every once in a while. But, I soon discovered that when I was in an excessively black scene (My example was Wet Work on Call of Duty). Everything was so black I couldn't see. So, I turned it off and moved on.

Then there was MagicColor.

It made everything so awesome looking. The grass was DEFINITELY green. The sky was DEFINITELY blue. And I thought it was a magic setting that instantly made my monitor awesome. Alas, when I went to recalibrate my monitor for this new setting, I discover that the contrast in certain colors was horrible. (for blue, 5 or 6 different shades were the same color).

So, reluctantly I turned this off as well.

And now after seeing these two settings in action, the colors on my monitor just seem so washed out compared to what it was before.

My question for you techies. Is there anyway I can get the best of both worlds. I especially want to have Magic Color on because of the beautiful colors it showed. But I know I will not be getting as good of a picture as I could be due to the horrible contrast it created. I'm at a bit of a loss.

Any help at all on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7 (4,297 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1199 posts

"MagicBright" and "MagicColor" Problems on Samsung Monitor

Aug 28, 2008
Help?
Message 2 of 7 (4,297 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7781 posts

Jake302, I have a Samsung 226BW with a solution.  I got y...

Aug 28, 2008

Ok, using Dynamic Contrast is not the way to go, especially for gaming.  All Dynamic Contrast does is turns the brightness up to the max and the contrast to the max.  Things look nice, yes, but they aren't accurate.  What I would recommend doing is running the THX video test on your monitor and manually calibrating it.

Also, using Magic Color or Magic Tune, whatever Samsung uses... my monitor uses Magic Tune, umm.. those are not even enhancements, just color presets.  It's not an activated mode or anything, it is just a quick preset that shows you a lot more color and contrast.  For calibration purposes and viewing, turn those selections off and use your standard monitor settings.  Use some sort of video calibration, any THX certified DVD will have the THX video calibration tool called THX Optimizer.

Message Edited by Mak3 on 08-28-2008 11:39 AM
Message 3 of 7 (4,297 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1199 posts

Re: Jake302, I have a Samsung 226BW with a solution.  I got y...

Aug 28, 2008

Mak3 wrote:

Ok, using Dynamic Contrast is not the way to go, especially for gaming.  All Dynamic Contrast does is turns the brightness up to the max and the contrast to the max.  Things look nice, yes, but they aren't accurate.  What I would recommend doing is running the THX video test on your monitor and manually calibrating it.

Also, using Magic Color or Magic Tune, whatever Samsung uses... my monitor uses Magic Tune, umm.. those are not even enhancements, just color presets.  It's not an activated mode or anything, it is just a quick preset that shows you a lot more color and contrast.  For calibration purposes and viewing, turn those selections off and use your standard monitor settings.  Use some sort of video calibration, any THX certified DVD will have the THX video calibration tool called THX Optimizer.

I know how to properly calibrate my monitor. In my post I clearly stated that I self calibrate it. I know that to have it "properly" calibrated I need to keep them off. But, when they are on the colors just look so amazing, even though the color contrast is horrendous.

My question was if there was anyway to keep it calibrated while at the same time having them on.

In other words, I wanted the best of both worlds. Proper calibration with awesome looking colors.

Message 4 of 7 (4,297 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2565 posts

Re: Jake302, I have a Samsung 226BW with a solution. I got y...

Aug 28, 2008

Jake302 wrote:

Mak3 wrote:

I know how to properly calibrate my monitor. In my post I clearly stated that I self calibrate it. I know that to have it "properly" calibrated I need to keep them off. But, when they are on the colors just look so amazing, even though the color contrast is horrendous.

My question was if there was anyway to keep it calibrated while at the same time having them on.

In other words, I wanted the best of both worlds. Proper calibration with awesome looking colors.

I looked through your manual and I will throw out a guess based on what I think you are after and what I saw in the manual. If I am not getting at what you wanted in my minds eye, dont take offense, simply discard my post as something that does not help you and seek further assistance. It simply sounds to me as if you just want to increase your color saturation. You should be able to do this without effecting the calibration by increasing your RGB values. Without reading every page of your manual, you have control of your RGB (Page 40). Might want to see if you can bump them up to saturate the colors. Unless your RGB values are based on max settings as default, it might be an option. 
Message 5 of 7 (4,297 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1199 posts

Aug 28, 2008

ARW wrote:

Jake302 wrote:

Mak3 wrote:

I looked through your manual and I will throw out a guess based on what I think you are after and what I saw in the manual. If I am not getting at what you wanted in my minds eye, dont take offense, simply discard my post as something that does not help you and seek further assistance. It simply sounds to me as if you just want to increase your color saturation. You should be able to do this without effecting the calibration by increasing your RGB values. Without reading every page of your manual, you have control of your RGB (Page 40). Might want to see if you can bump them up to saturate the colors. Unless your RGB values are based on max settings as default, it might be an option. 

Hmm... I'll try that. I didn't know what it did to my color values simply because when I turn MagicColor on and go to view what my color values are set to it just says "Not Available" and won't let me select it.

I'll check it out. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Message 6 of 7 (4,297 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7781 posts

Aug 29, 2008

Jake302, I apologize that I didn't fully understand your first post.  However, there really isn't much you can do as far as keeping dark and deep colors without easing up on the contrast or brightness.  You can't have the colors you speak of AND lesser contrast because the preset basically takes your contrast and boosts it up very high.  You have to take the presets/enhancements off and calibrate it yourself.

The colors you see are false, they are only darker because the contrast is higher and/or the brightness is lower.

Message 7 of 7 (4,297 Views)
0 Likes