Jul 25 2010
By: korchie44 First Son 16 posts

Picture and sound going out on my PS3

3 replies 254 views Edited Jul 25, 2010

Hey guys!

While playing a game, watching a movie, whatever on my PS3 the picture and sound occasionally go out for a few seconds.  Sometimes I get a black screen, and others I get the grey static.. with HDMI showing back up on the top corner of my screen (you know like when you first choose HDMI 1 from your different source options).  It seems to be happening more frequently lately.  It was doing it only when it was on a long time and started to hear up a little bit, but it'll do it 5 minutes into play.

I'm not sure if it is a problem with my HDMI cable or the PS3.

I have a 120gb PS3 Slim and (obviously) hook it up to my TV with an HDMI cable. Honestly I have a cheap HDMI.  It's made by GE and isn't gold plated or anything.

Any suggestions or help would be great!  I don't want to go out and buy an expensive HDMI cable if it's more likely an issues with the PS3.

korchie44
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5832 posts

Re: Picture and sound going out on my PS3

Jul 26, 2010

Are you willing to buy another HDMI cable... I would pick up one the 1 cent to 5 dollar ones off amazon or monoprice.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (254 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jul 29, 2010
^^Actually, it was aggravating me so much I just went out and bought a new one. And yep, it was the HDMI. The picture is outstanding now, and I'm not having any problems whatsoever.
korchie44
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Jul 29, 2010

could be hdcp handshake...  meaning the tv things your ps3 or your hdmi cable is stealing data and trying to cut it off.  it is a bug most likely with your tv or the cable.  just disconnect the hdmi and reconnect and you should be fine.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (254 Views)
0 Likes