Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
10 posts

Re: PS3 - Hard disk's file system corrupted? please help

Feb 16, 2008
@winkdog81

Glad to hear that you got it fixed now, nothing worse than a broken ps3!

One question though, after you stuck the hdd in your laptop and had it formatted again did your laptop hdd still have all the data saved on it?
I was gonna try that but I thought I'd have to backup all my files!

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 62 (4,270 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
720 posts

Feb 17, 2008

Matt_Teddy wrote:
@winkdog81

Glad to hear that you got it fixed now, nothing worse than a broken ps3!

One question though, after you stuck the hdd in your laptop and had it formatted again did your laptop hdd still have all the data saved on it?
I was gonna try that but I thought I'd have to backup all my files!

You can safely take out your original hdd in your laptop without having to worry about backing files up.  Just make sure it's turned off when you do it.  When you're finished, just stick your original laptop hdd back in your computer and there you go...everything thing works like it used to.

Keep in mind that formatting does erase all data on a drive, so just make sure you format the right one.
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 62 (4,270 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 24, 2008
I just went through this problem of "corrupt file...HDD" and repeated tries with Restore. After some research on the Web I finally solved this issue.

Cause #1: PS3 powered off during 'write to disk' stage of game startup, which is easy to do if the factory default "Auto Start Game" setting is still on in System Settings (turn this setting off).
Solution: Sony uses Seagate notebook drives for PS3's. You will need to remove the drive and connect it to your PC (go to the link on Cause #2's solution for instructions). Because the PS3 drive format is not recognized by Windows it might not show up as an accessible drive. You will then need to go to: Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management and assign the PS3 HDD a drive letter - but skip or cancel when asked to format or partition this drive. Now go to: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
and download SeaTools. This program will diagnose and repair the problem on the PS3 HDD (without erasing game saves, downloads, etc.). Next, just re-install the drive into the PS3, and remember to turn off the "Auto Start Game" option!

Cause #2: Physical HDD failure.
Solution: Contact store/Sony if still under warranty. If not, just replace your PS3 HDD with a 2.5" SATA notebook drive. Easy to follow guide at:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=32840

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 62 (4,270 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 28, 2008
you can copy files onto an SD card or other supported card in the media bay on the ps3's facing.
you can also hook up mp3 players via USB and then save files onto those as storage devices.

My ps3 has this error as well.
Every other time I start it, it freezes and locks up. 
What tends to work is if I flip off the switch in the back, turn it back on, make sure there isnt any disk in the tray, and then hit the harddrive "restore" option when it starts.  Sometimes it says it has to rebuild the database.

As soon as I finish Turok, Im sending it back under warranty.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 62 (4,270 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Mar 5, 2008
Above it says to connect your hard drice to your PC. To do this do you just need a 2.5" enclosure case to do this?
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 62 (4,270 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3327 posts

Mar 5, 2008
if you got that message then it to late to back your stuff up.
Rammo Clan leader of the  Spartan Army
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 62 (4,269 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Mar 5, 2008
Yeah I know, it sucks. I've contemplated doing an upgrade so maybe now will be a good time to seeing how the hdd now is pooched.
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 62 (4,269 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 9, 2008
                        ______________________________________________________________

NEPatriot25 wrote:
                            Above it says to connect your hard drice to your PC. To do this do you need a 2.5" enclosure to do this?
                       ______________________________________________________________

Connecting the PS3 HDD to your PC is the same as adding a second SATA HDD to the PC; but a 2.5 or 3.5 external drive enclosure can be used if your PC only has IDE connections.

Message Edited by seirio on 03-09-2008 06:02 PM

Message Edited by seirio on 03-09-2008 06:06 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 62 (4,269 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 17, 2008

i-r-Thanatos wrote:
I just went through this problem of "corrupt file...HDD" and repeated tries with Restore. After some research on the Web I finally solved this issue.

Cause #1: PS3 powered off during 'write to disk' stage of game startup, which is easy to do if the factory default "Auto Start Game" setting is still on in System Settings (turn this setting off).
Solution: Sony uses Seagate notebook drives for PS3's. You will need to remove the drive and connect it to your PC (go to the link on Cause #2's solution for instructions). Because the PS3 drive format is not recognized by Windows it might not show up as an accessible drive. You will then need to go to: Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management and assign the PS3 HDD a drive letter - but skip or cancel when asked to format or partition this drive. Now go to: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
and download SeaTools. This program will diagnose and repair the problem on the PS3 HDD (without erasing game saves, downloads, etc.). Next, just re-install the drive into the PS3, and remember to turn off the "Auto Start Game" option!

Cause #2: Physical HDD failure.
Solution: Contact store/Sony if still under warranty. If not, just replace your PS3 HDD with a 2.5" SATA notebook drive. Easy to follow guide at:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=32840

This dosen't seem to work for me. I can only use two of the test "SHORT GENERIC", AND "LONG GENERIC" the short does nothing, and the long generic gets near to the end then says "Long Generic - FAIL"

The other tests simply say "Test Unavailable" when I try them.

Anyone know whats going on. Am I doing somthing wrong

Message Edited by i-r-Thanatos on 04-17-2008 02:52 PM
Message Edited by i-r-Thanatos on 04-17-2008 02:59 PM
Message Edited by i-r-Thanatos on 04-17-2008 03:01 PM
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 62 (4,269 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Apr 20, 2008

Since this is happening alot now, (happened to me this week). Can the cause be the Latest Firmware? It did happen after it.

I fix my PS3 by backing up my files and doing a full Format.  

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 62 (4,269 Views)
0 Likes