Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 29 2009
By: OuncesNDgrahams First Son 3 posts

PS3 Freezing/Black Screen Problem (plz help)

4 replies 706 views Edited Nov 29, 2009
So today I turn on my ps3 (60gb, not slim) and it freezes after the ps3 sign comes up. I try to shut it by holding down the green light button but it doesnt work so i was forced to shut it from the power switch. When I turn it back on this time it didnt freeze but it wasnt loading anything, the media bar or nothing so i restart again... Now Im getting a black screen everytime I turn on my ps3, I cant turn on the controller nor can I turn the system on with the controller. the green light stays on and the hdd light at the bottom stays on solid for about 2 or 3 minutes then turns off. I tried to go to recovery screen and reformat but the first time it froze at 26% then when i try again it says preparing then just goes to black screen. I did get a message once saying my hdd is corrupt and needs to be restored. But none of the restore options are working, i havent tried the system restore yet.. i dont want to lose files but i will try it as a last resort if nothing is working. Im pretty sure this is not an overheating issue though I do use my ps3 alot, i had it shut for a good 2 hours before this happened. This is my first time having problems with the system.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.
Message Edited by OuncesNDgrahams on 11-28-2009 11:22 PM
Message Edited by OuncesNDgrahams on 11-28-2009 11:24 PM
Message Edited by OuncesNDgrahams on 11-28-2009 11:25 PM
Message 1 of 5 (706 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1781 posts

Re: PS3 Freezing/Black Screen Problem (plz help)

Nov 29, 2009

EkuquoL

plug the AV cables red yellow white into the console and use those to start the ps3..

See when you hold down the power button it can also reset the video and

audio cords to default..

when that black screen happens.. Unplug the cord, let it cool down completly... wait an hour then turn it back on..

you will have to turn it on by the powe button jst keep in mind tht the power button can also reset the vide/audio..

Its the internal/auxilary fan.. After the system gets so hot the auxilary fan turns on.. PS3 slim was designed to fix that flaw..

hopefully playstation will update that in the comming future.. but its nothing critical.. jst a bios error/cache error that only Playstation can fix

with its updates..

I'm on Twitter

Check it
Message 2 of 5 (706 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 29, 2009
Thank you EkuquoL, I will try this. I did reset the audio/video once and I let it auto-detect to 1080p but im still getting black screen. Right now I have all the cords unplugged and letting the ps3 sit for an hour. Then I will try the AV cables. I do hear the fan or hard drive when I turn it on.
Message 3 of 5 (706 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 30, 2009
Ok so I tried unpluggin the cables for a while and it still does not work. I tried using the av cables and still does not work. When i go to restore file system after it finishes the screen turns black and after like 10 minutes that same message comes up telling me my hard drive file system is corrupt and needs to be restored.

Anybody know whats wrong?

Message Edited by OuncesNDgrahams on 11-29-2009 04:57 PM
Message 4 of 5 (706 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 15, 2009
idk if repair the hdd will fix it mines just started freezing during a game then goes black , I can't reset or turn with controller. But I goggled screen problems for the ps3, and one guy who has a book about repairing ps3 says its an internet connection problem but he did say it had something to do with the hdd. IM about to go try and see if its working today, if not IM getting the new one this week because I just sent my ps3 to sony for them to fix the lens last December
Message 5 of 5 (706 Views)
0 Likes