PlayStation Support
6754 posts

Re: PS3 3D Display Occasional Black Screen?

Jul 14, 2012
Message 591 of 646 (2,121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jul 15, 2012
Hello lcuu, I'm interested in the wallmount solution that you found in ebay can you provide more information

regards,
Message 592 of 646 (2,228 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
63 posts

Jul 15, 2012

well my 3rd finally started the black screen flash a few weeks ago after 6 months of greatness Smiley Sad time to call up sony and get my shipping box Smiley Sad. sorry to say but i wouldnt have got this screen knowing of these issues :'(

Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Message 593 of 646 (2,224 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 17, 2012

the same is happening to me. i bought mine off of ebay for $250, it worked fine and i thought i got a great deal then this black flicker S#*! happens at least once every time i use it.

I call sony and they say they can't find proof of purchase from the serial code on my display (atleast from the US), so i could not get a replacement. THE THING IS THE DISPLAY WAS RELEASED IN NOVEMBER OF 2011, AND IT'S JULY 2012 ( I GOT IT IN MAY) SO IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ACCEPTABLE FOR THEM TO REPLACE IT.

Now they have a recall out for the price and it is only 200 dollars retail without any offers. SO there still selling these displays and deducted the price 100% from $400 dollars and wont fix the problems that it has, WOW SONY i wasted my hard earned money on somthing i thought was a good investment and would be flawless in lasting long.

THIS COMPANY AND IT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE LET ME DOWN.

Message 594 of 646 (2,101 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
717 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 18, 2012

3 thunderstorms in a row, 2 of those the PS3 3D Display & PS3 were unplugged before the full brunt of the storm could be felt. Each thunderstorm provided 1 power surge a piece. So far, so good however as no issues have come up.

Message 595 of 646 (2,049 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
245 posts

Jul 18, 2012

Sony REALLY needs to get a lead on this issue....nothing they can say can stop this 60+ page thread regarding this issue. They need to publically come out and admit their hardware or software issues, and release a fix for it so that our displays work fine. I have just requested my 3rd display (2nd replacement model), and sadly it will most likely have the same issue. It's a real shame, they are nice displays (besides the glossy screen), but the problems with them are just extremely bad.

Message 596 of 646 (2,035 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 19, 2012

Mine just started these past 2 days. Had it for over 2 weeks but haven't used it much until now. Man, this really sucks. I got it new from Gamestop's sale and it had some recommendations from some dudes I know who didn't have any issues. Gonna try a different HDMI cable and if it keeps happening, gonna RMA this sucker.

Message 597 of 646 (1,962 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 20, 2012
Hello again to the group of sufferers, dealing with Sony's incompetence with addressing the Playstation 3D Display black screen/blinking red light issues. It's been a long road thus far, with many of us having to go through multiple units just to try and get our money's worth for a product that isn't even a year old yet... But I have some info that might be useful to you. Several times during the 60 pages of complaints and cries for help... A couple users (I fail to remember their user names, and laziness prevents me from looking them up... But you know who you are) posted that by attaching a USB fan to the rear of the display, they were able to resolve the black screen issue (which ultimately leads to the blinking red light). Some were skeptical, as was I... But I decided to give it a try anyway (what could it hurt?). I happened to have an extra HDD cooler laying around, like what you see in the link below. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150005 Using this quick and easy to follow video guide... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kF6OlECf5M&feature=youtube_gdata_player ...I was able to make the HDD cooler into a USB fan. As you can see in the picture below, because of the shape of the HDD cooler, the size of the two screws, and the size of the vents, I was able to EASILY attach the unit to the back of the display. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/20120720090817.jpg/   My current display is #2 for me, as my first unit finally gave the red light death after 6 months of use. Upon getting my new display via Best Buys product replacement plan, upon firing it up at home... Within 3 minutes I was already experiencing the black screen flash (with no audio). My second unit is by far worse than the original one I had, and suspected it would die quicker than the six months it took my first unit to finally bite the bullet. I get the black screen flash several times a day, everyday... It was so annoying and depressing. So, I tried the USB fan "possible solution." Well, it may be premature at this point to report my findings... But I'm going to do so anyway. Ladies and Gentleman, since attaching the fan to the rear of the display three days ago... NO MORE BLACK SCREEN ISSUE. The two fans keep the unit quite cool, even after testing it for a period of 8 hours (letting son play, myself playing, 3D movies, 3D games...). After several days of this... Still no black screen issue. And it was such a simple process to do... Especially if you follow the guide I posted above. Best of all, the two fans are so quiet, you cannot even hear them when in use. And yes, the fans auto turn on when the display is powered on, and auto shut off when the display is powered down. Just plug the USB plug for the fan into the service port on the display. I hope this works for others, as it seems to have resolved my issues. Good luck and happy gaming!
Message 598 of 646 (1,890 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 21, 2012

T he issue with the occasional black screen or noise on the screen is because of the video display setting on the PS3. I was having the issue for a couple of weeks, couldn't watch NETFLIX cause the screen would black out every now and then. I went to video setting on the PS3 and uncheck 1080P. After that everything went back to normal. No more black screen. I hope this helps someone.

Thanks!!

Message 599 of 646 (1,816 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 21, 2012

as if the people who paid $$$ for 1080p HD are going to disable 1080p

Message 600 of 646 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes