First Son
11 posts

Re: My fourth PS3 just yellow lighted

Jan 20, 2011

FWIW, my 60 GB launch PS3 gave up late last year.  It managed to last me 4 years of F@H, games, movies, and so on with no issues until it finally died.  I sent it off to Sony and they sent me a replacement 60gb.  Within 4 weeks, that replacement was showing a YLOD.  And that was with me being much easier on it than I was with my original.  It isn't really a matter of modifications, but more likely inconsistencies in construction across the board, especially with earlier models.

Message 21 of 40 (7 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14109 posts

Jan 20, 2011

WolfMunkie wrote:

Right so my FOURTH PS3 just broke on me. My first PS3 broke December of last year after one year of use. Sony sent my a refurbrished one, but the disk reader on that one broke DAYS after I recieved it. So then I ship it back and recieve another PS3, but this one's fan breaks a month after using it and the PS3 starts to overheat like crazy. So finally after this one I recieve a fully functional PS3, but my PS3 drama was not over yet. Now, after another year that PS3 yellow lights on me! The warranty for that one is now long expired, so sony wants me to dish aout another 150 bucks on top of the 150 bucks I spent last year to repair a 600 dollar piece of software. As if all this doesn't already blow I have my copy of COD4 stuck in my current PS3 >8(

I'm going to try a self repair to get at least some use out of my PS3, or is that doesnt work attempt surgery to get my COD4 disc (what the f happened to manual eject sony?). Luckily I just recently backed up my save files on a UBS key (except Demon's Souls because you can't EFFING COPY THE SAVE DATA). However I still find myself at a dilemma. I will eventually either have to trade in my ps3 for a 150 dollar refurbrished one, OR buy a new slim for 300 bucks (I have an 80GB fat PS3 btw). Seriously Sony, is it that hard to give your customers good quality products? I didn't buy an xbox here. GIVE ME MY MONEYS WORTH!

Rage, rage, rage! F my life... I may just switch to PC gaming >.>

Here's your mistake. To save on costs, Sony sending you back refurbished PS3's. Which are not completely reliable. So, of course your system is breaking down. Don't self repair anything. That'll void the warranty. At this point, you need to stop sending your system to Sony. Just buy a new PS3 slim. Try to transfer as much data to the new HDD as you can and redownload your games off your download list. Oh and just buy a new copy of COD 4. It should be cheaper by now. So my advice is to stop sending your system to Sony (it's clearly not working) and just buy a new system.

Multisystem owner. PS Plus member:Legendary status.GAP member with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 22 of 40 (7 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1319 posts

Jan 20, 2011

If youve went threw 4 in a year and a bit.. Then Id suggest not getting another one.  You just gotta take better care of them it seems.

Message 23 of 40 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

May 20, 2011

I just got my first YLOD after almost 3 years and I can't get the disc out either and I don't have the money to get it fix or by a new one right now so I'm going to try to fix it myself and hope it last until I do get the money to buy a new one but once I do fix it I'm not going to get the disk out and not but anther on in I'll just play the games that I have downloaded and I have over 20 games no including minis and ps1 I could also still play my ps2 games since I stil have my ps2

etur0
Message 24 of 40 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
821 posts

May 20, 2011

WolfMunkie wrote:

I speak the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth my friend. I wish it was a lie, I wish i still had my first PS3, but I don't.

I believe you, I'm on my 3rd & I have always taken great care of my PS3's.

My 1st died 1 year & 1 day after purchase - luckily Sony sent a courier to collect & replace at no cost to me.

The repair lasted about another year or so before it stopped reading discs again - this time I just bought a slim & use the Phat in the bedroom for movies.

Electronics just dont last as long as they did. I have an iMac from 1998 which still runs perfectly, while in the past 5 years I have had 3 expensive laptops burn out on me.

Last year I was very unlucky indeed, in the space of about 6 months just about every electronic item in my house died; cameras, hairdryers, tvs, laptops, car, air con, coffee maker, hair clippers, memory cards, mobile phone . Some of them had to be replaced 3 times over as they died again a week after getting a replacement.

I know it sounds extreme, but I can only say it was a run of very bad luck.

Message 25 of 40 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
375 posts

May 20, 2011

u have to remember at launch of ps3 it costs sony more to make it then it was for us to buy it so they was making them as cheap as they could till they reccoped the money lost.

as for repairing it your self its easy and repaired handfulls of them bought broken to resale them.get some artic silver compound.

advise be very carefull with the ribbon cables.power one in particular.they r fragile and show  no sign of being broken but r.when done make sure when applying the silver its the thinest of thinest.clean unit out best u can.the repair is a 50/50 chance on working.

Message 26 of 40 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
285 posts

May 20, 2011

YLOD YOLD OMG ITS HAPPENING TO EVERYONE!!! Thats how it feels because a a couple of dozen thousand peopel get this issue, add that as a species we inherently need to relate to others and presto the PS3 is junk, and everyone owna s ticking time bomb and omg they are doing this on purpose. In truth if you think about it in relative terms... a few thousand compared to a few million... suddenly its really small... Sony DID in fact get you replaced, so at least they tried to help out, but there still IS a limit to wht they can do sadly it sounds like its been reached no im not defending Sony, trust me they DO have some sideways ethics sometimes- but thats only becuase as consumers sometimes we put too much of a burden on a company t happens.

As for the 150 fix. I know there is a local place herer in Austin that actually repairs PS3s and xboxes from these errors and only charge 40 bucks for the YLOD fix, youre out of warranty anyways, so it;s not like youre voiding any warranty, Id check your local area for a shop like that. they did my budy up right on his xbox and i have heard good from coworkers about thei YLOD thing. 

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
Message 27 of 40 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

May 20, 2011

1. Do you folks EVER use a cooling system for your PS3?

2. Do you ever stop and let your PS3 cooldown?

3. Is the are well ventulated areound the PS3?

IF your answer is no to ANY of these questions then it is no wonder your systems get thos YLoD

Message 28 of 40 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
375 posts

May 20, 2011

40 bucks wow never hear of it sounds to good to b true.i would go for that deal cause its costs me 15 bucks just for the artic silver needed plus time.

Message 29 of 40 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
285 posts

May 20, 2011

yeah like i said these cats are making it a side option to their lil cyber cafe - they also to full customs on consoles too... pretty neet idea actually.

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
Message 30 of 40 (7 Views)
0 Likes