Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Re: My fourth PS3 just yellow lighted

May 22, 2011

Alright, since warranty has expired it is nothing you can do to get Sony to repair the system for free. So a few options are given to you for the YLOD system.

One you can do as I did, check youtube for the hairdryer fix. It worked on mine. First time I did it it only lasted about a month, second time a lot longer. First time I tried it I was scared and did not hold the hairdryer to the vents long enough. The reason for the YLOD is the solder that Sony uses is a lead free solder so it breaks down causing cracking in the solder. You just need to melt the solder to get the PS3 going again.

Second option is send it to gophermods.com or some other outfit that can do a proper reball on your PS3 system. A lot cheaper than Sony unless you go all out and get something like the FedEx 2nd day shipping. Still they only offer a 1 year warranty on this type of service. So still expensive for only a years worth of service from your old repaired PS3.

Third option is send it back to Sony again to get it repaired for their cost.

Other option is do nothing to that PS3, keep the game inside and sell them both on Ebay and take that money, add some more money with that and buy a new Slim.

Honestly I like the hairdryer option cause it does not cost any money and it does work for a time. I mean if I gotta use the hairdryer every 3 months or more then it is worth it. Another thing is after using the hairdryer to get the PS3 running for a little longer, leave the towel wrapped around the PS3 and then turn it on. The PS3 will build up heat inside and then melt the solder. If it gets to hot it will give a message stating it is overheating. At least it did on my system. BTW I have the MotorStorm 80Gb PS3 phat system.... and 2 slims, a 120Gb and a 160Gb Killzone 3 bundle.

BTW, a buddyy of mine had one of those intercooler devices and his PS3 broke on him within the warranty time and he sent in back to Sony for warranty service. They refused to fix his PS3 stating they knew he had it on there cause it had more dust and dirt buildup then by the regular fan in the PS3 system and they were not obliged to fix his system cause he added the cooler... not an official Sony device. I would also suggest to anybody that has a PS3 still in warranty to get the 2 year protection plan from Sony. 3 years altogether of being protected. Glad to see Sony has done this. 

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 40 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12787 posts

May 22, 2011

Had three PS3's go belly up this past January, thankfully they were all under warranty @ BB

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 40 (42 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

May 22, 2011

My ps3 got YLOD yesterday while playing DCUO WTF Sony & my ps3 fan is going crazy on that day

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 40 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2532 posts

May 22, 2011

U would think that after 3 dead PS3's.... U would have learned ur lesson.

Photobucket

Monthly Subscription for Online Multiplayer is an Xbox Policy

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 40 (42 Views)
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

May 22, 2011

You could try the 'fan test' to get the game out.

Turn the power switch off > Press and Hold the eject button > While holding the eject button turn the power switch back on.

Your game should now eject.

Some people tend to forget that these systems of today are full on computers. They need to be maintained. IE: Vacuumed often, Kept in a cool open space, Rebuilding the archive (AKA Defrag), replace the thermal paste (Don’t do if under warranty) Just like our PCs WE need to keep them clean of dust, defrag the hard drive, etc.

I have read somewhere on here that there is a chance of reviving the system by rebuilding the archive. If that is true or not can’t say. As if it's a hardware fault then software fix won’t do.  Doesn’t hurt to try.

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/guides-reviews-articles/35771-how-speed-up-your-ps3-rebuilding-you...

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 40 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1420 posts

May 23, 2011

Well I guess we're both unlucky, I had my fourth one die on me yesterday. Four PS3, four different failures. Hopefully this next one will be the magic one that works for years and years to come....

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 40 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

May 23, 2011

Sony knew about the crappy Fat PS3s  so $150 is not worth 7 months or less for another peice of crap fat PS3, or maybe lower the price to where it should be $60 for a refirbished fat PS3 thats guaranteed to get the YLOD within a year. BE HONEST Sony tell people that the refurbished FATs are not worth the money and save the $150 and go buy a New Slim. i replaced my fat PS3 last july and it lasted until early Jan was playing Dead Space 2(in HD) and the screen went black and then YLOD. now i know there are people that's gullible enough to keep shelling out $150 to sony to replace their faulty Fat PS3 with another faulty PS3 with the BS you can send it back in 90 days if anything goes wrong, they KNOW how long they REALLY last so it guarantees that their going to get another $150 within a year. Love Sony, and becasue of their awesome games i been with them since the 1st PS never even played an xbox or nintendo(since N64) system, and ill be buying the PS4, so im saying be real with us sony and hire some Techs thats are not D-Bags.

ILL__WILL Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 40 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

May 24, 2011

It is not just the phat PS3's that have the YLOD issues. I have 3 PS3's, 1 phat and 2 slims. My first slim lasted maybe 3 months and got the YLOD. It is not defective or poor quality parts that Sony uses, it is the solder that Sony uses. Lead free solder is not a good quality solder to be using. Most of the electronics you buy today has this type of solder and it will eventually break down causing electronic failure.

As I said in the earlier post I used a hairdryer to heat my PS3(the phat) &  got it working again. The slim I had YLOD was sent in for service and I got the extended 2 year protection plan, now on both my slims. Not sure if it will be worth it cause my phat PS3 lasted almost 4 years without any issues. Be my luck the slim(s) will last just long enough for them to be out of protection plan coverage.

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 40 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
468 posts

May 24, 2011

I have had the same system since launch week with no problems and I play a lot. I think because I have a separate Blu-Ray player I haven't abused it to much, but it runs fine.....maybe I'm just lucky?

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 40 (42 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 24, 2011

The best thing you can do to prevent a YLOD issue is to replace the thermal paste with a better quality compound. This low quality paste plus the lead-free solder can cause a PS3 to YLOD when the stock thermal paste dries up and causes a PS3 to overheat...

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 40 (42 Views)
0 Likes