Reply
Jan 25 2011
By: Phillyblunz Treasure Hunter 7997 posts
Online
Accepted Solution

Is Sony leaving its values at the door?

24 replies 59 views Edited Jan 25, 2011

The things I've always loved about the PS3 and used in comparison arguments always boiled down to a list of a few solid items of interest.

One of the most important for me has always been the free online play.  Others had to pay to play games we played for free.

If you pay to play online it would make me feel obligated to pay a minimum amount to redeem that value and get my moneys worth.

We pay good money ($70+)for a plastic disc which costs maybe $0.05 each, but contains much IP. 

So its a fair exchange if you consider the amount of time one could be entertained by said IP.  After all you get a single player campaign as well, or atleast you used to.

With game like Warhwk and SOCOM we saw the beginnings of a world where PS3 games dont need a single player experience in order to entice sales.  I bought them both but those in the know were smart enough to adjust the pricing accordingly. 

These games were $40 alone or $60-$70 if bundled with a  headset which was a great deal, considering the headsets were $50 by themselves.

So now you get the new breed of online only games for the PS3, and if DCUO is any indication we are getting less for more as time goes by.

Now they want you to spend $70 on the game which is online only, but if you want to play that game you just spent $70 on you have to spend another $15 every month!!!

Do they think we are all computer WOW nerds with nothing to spend money on besides a single game?  I know people who spends thousands of dollars a year on WOW with new monitors, graphics upgrades, expansions, entire new rigs to run the expansions, etc.  This is now what the PS3 should be.

Think of the percentages, people pay $2000 for a gaming comp to run one game, then to spend $50 for the game, and $XX/yr to play it, then new comps every yr or two to keep up with expansions or just because they are too slow, etc

Then you buy a PS3 for $300, $70 for the game and $15 a month to just play it, this is $180 a yr!!!!!  Or $250 in the first year you play the game!!!  No game is worth that.

If Sony wants to get me to pay a monthly fee to play a game, that game better be free or around the $20 mark brand new.

Or make the monthly fee more reasonable, perhaps $20 a yr would be worth while.

The most I would pay would be if they included these online subscriptions for these types of games in with Playstation Plus, its time we got some actual value from Plus anyway IMHO.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.


dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 25 (59 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 07/20/2009
Offline
2321 posts
 

Re: Is Sony leaving its values at the door?

Jan 25, 2011

I think alot of people are happy paying monthly for DCUO. It looks like a cool game, it cost money to support and keep the servers on.

If you dont like dont buy it...

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 25 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/08/2008
Online
7997 posts
 

Re: Is Sony leaving its values at the door?

Jan 25, 2011

You seriously think it costs them $180/yr for each and every person playing online?

On top of the $70 per person to just buy the pretty much completely useless plastic disc?

Lets just say I disagree.  I was in the beta and there is nothing in this game I would consider revolutionary.

That said why would it cost them 3-5 times more per year then computer MMORPGs???? 

At least comp MMORPGs have to be compatible with many, many, many different computer configurations and that could take some extensive and constant maintanience but all PS3's are equal, they just have to run the game on one piece of hardware and it will work on all the rest.

This basically means it is much cheaper for them to maintain the servers which should translate into much lower monthly fees.

But instead they decided to charge more, LOL.

I'm a huge comic fan and I'm not getting this game, I'm sure many others will do as me and leave this one for the bargin bin.

As I said I will only play this game if its $20 or less to purchase if they want my monthly money.

I wonder how they will manage rentals?  I guess they dont need rental income as this game is basically huge profits stacked on top of more huge profits, but your ok with it, LOL.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.


dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 25 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 07/20/2009
Offline
2321 posts
 

Re: Is Sony leaving its values at the door?

Jan 25, 2011

If you want to play the game so bad just wait and get it used.

And its not just the servers, its new content and patches. All that stuff costs money. Final Fantasy online is the same thing...

Either pay it or don't play the game simple.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 25 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/01/2008
Offline
3845 posts
 

Re: Is Sony leaving its values at the door?

Jan 25, 2011

that's the nature of most (big & successful) online MMOs, people pay to play WoW & Everquest, look how well they've done over the years. like Moho-foe said, it's up to you if you feel it's something that you want to spend your money on.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 25 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/08/2008
Online
7997 posts
 

Re: Is Sony leaving its values at the door?

Jan 25, 2011

moho-foe wrote:

.

And its not just the servers, its new content and patches. All that stuff costs money.



Yes it costs us money.  Are you new to DLC?

Unless you are saying that because its $15 a month all DLC will be free for the life of this game?

I cant believe no one else see's a problem with paying full price for a game you cant use unless you pay again and keep paying for as long as you "own" the disc.   Thats for comps and the other box not PS3.

People were saying EA is bad for charging $15 to play used games online, that is for as long as you want to play for $15, and if you choose not to pay, you can play offline.

I think you guys are too used to being forced to pay to play online, me thinks we have "live" members replying here.

PS3 is about free online, this thread is about the death of that staple.

And as you guys are stating its a game I would play, but having played the beta I know its def not worth Hundreds of dollars a yr to play.  And its a game you would want to play for a long time in order to create and level up mulitple characters.

This game is aimed squarely at MMORPG addicts and thank goodness I am not one.  But I really feel bad for those people who will not buy there kids three meals a day because they "need" to pay an online fee to feed their addiction.

It is sad, but def true.  And I feel even worse knowing there are people out there who will defend this policy by saying "well just dont play it".  Dont worry I wont.

If smokes went up to $50 a pack, you know the addicts would still smoke and ruin there lives, go poor and die.

But thats ok, just stop smoking right?  I think its easier said then done for a large majority of the world.

If anyone thinks a single game is worth hundreds of dollars you need to get a girlfriend IMHO.  At least the WOW addicts end up with sweet systems, the DCUO addicts will be left with nothing but the PS3's they started with and a world of debt.

But thats just my opinion on the matter.

We had a sweet thing going there for a minute, but as time goes by the things which made PS3 and PSN great are slowly dissolving.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.


dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 25 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 09/19/2010
Offline
694 posts
 

Re: Is Sony leaving its values at the door?

Jan 25, 2011

Unless you are saying that because its $15 a month all DLC will be free for the life of this game?

You say that yet the developer confirmed this week that stuff they add in game ie Raids, Missions, Armor and all that other stuff will be free. So yes 15 a month is just for the server cost. Plus what is 15 a month for a game that you will be playing for months and months. Do the math. 70 for a new game. Say you buy 5 in a year. thats 350$ right there as opposed to the 180$. Either buy the game and play it or dont say anything about it.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 25 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/08/2007
Offline
3109 posts
 

Re: Is Sony leaving its values at the door?

Jan 25, 2011

It seems like you're complaining because you played the beta, and now you want the game. However; the benefit of living in such great times is that you are graced with a choice. If you don't agree with the pricing then simply don't buy it and move on...pretend it isn't even out.

Sony has simply acknowledged that there is an audience that they haven't tapped into yet. If I were in their shoes I would've done the same thing. This is nothing new,  I don't see why you are trying to go down the 'shocked' route. You're not an MMO person, neither am I...so this really shouldn't bother you at all.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 25 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/01/2008
Offline
3845 posts
 

Re: Is Sony leaving its values at the door?

Jan 25, 2011

sorry, this is mine, not a quote.


i don't pay to play for anything. i don't play MMOs, unless you throw MAG in that group, even then, i barely play that. the reason is simple for me, i won't pay to play a single game, ever. there are tons more games out there that i can buy and enjoy & not pay a sub fee for. with that being said, if eventually, and it probably will happen one day, sony wanted to charge for the PSN, i'd be ok with paying a yearly fee, even if it stayed the exact same as it is now, they've given it to us for free for almost 5 years now.

if people don't want to pay, can't afford it, or whatever, the choice is still up to them. if they end up with nothing but the game and a mountain of debt, that's their own fault, not sonys, not DCs, not mine, & not yours, Philly.

personally, i don't really see where you're coming from here. are you just upset about them wanting to charge for it because it's not a good game, in your opinion, or do you think it's the start of maybe paying for the PSN? i understand where you say that paying to play is "for comps & the other box", but can you blame sony for wanting to get in on some of that profit? i can't, they are a business, why shouldn't they go after a section of that market?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 25 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 03/26/2009
Offline
92 posts
 

Re: Is Sony leaving its values at the door?

Jan 25, 2011

Hate to break it to you but even if they did sell it for 20 dollors (which would be great but a company can't afford/want to sell that low when they spent a year+ making a game) and they didn't have monthly fees, you would still be playing monthly to play the game.  You have to pay for an electricty bill and then there is internet fees on top of that.  You 70 initially goes to pay employess of the company, make the company better, and it will also go to support future projects (different games/DLC).  The 15 a month keeps their internet running on their multiply servers, and it keeps their electricity on, and it helps support the game/servers and server matinence.

And think about it, if 1 million players played 20 dollars each that is 20,000,000

And say the company has 100 servers, using (these numbers are made up and purely inaccurate) 10,000 dollars worth of electricity monthly

And their internet provider charges 40,000 a month for all the traffic on the servers

And the company had to pay 30 employes 50,000 for their work on the game yearly

And 200,000 a year for new content

Making the total cost 1,750,000

The company will run out of funds to support the servers affter 11.4 years based upon my random numbers and that isn't including the bills for maintaining the company and paying the employes for a year or two while the game is being developed

So really, the 15 a month helps support the compnay, and while yes a million people paying 15 a month adds up, it's still there for a reason

Please don't take my random numbers seriously, its just a made up situation to explain to you the reason of monthly subscriptions

EDIT: Oh and i forgot to say, Sony isn't leaving their values at the door, their doing what a lot of people would do, their making money, and if you don't like it, don't buy it.

And while yes i do thik it 15 a month is a bit greedy, if it sells they must be doing something right.

Photobucket
Currently playing: MINECRAFT!!!
Waiting for: APRIL 12!!! PATAPON 3!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 25 (59 Views)