Aug 07 2013
By: miggs93 First Son 1 posts

ps plus question

6 replies 227 views Edited Aug 7, 2013

i had ps plus in a account in my ps3 nd i had games that arent available anymore for free ,,,, nd my subscription ended, if i get ps plus in the same system but using a diffrent psn account will i still have acces to them?? or do i have to renew ps plus in the same account as before??? 

Message 1 of 7 (227 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44293 posts

Re: ps plus question

Aug 7, 2013

miggs93 wrote:

i had ps plus in a account in my ps3 nd i had games that arent available anymore for free ,,,, nd my subscription ended, if i get ps plus in the same system but using a diffrent psn account will i still have acces to them?? or do i have to renew ps plus in the same account as before??? 

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Purchases are tied to the purchasing account, you would need to re-subscribe using the same account.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_300x50_002B.jpg

Customer Service Available Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm
General Enquires - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & Billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)

Live Chat Available Mon-Sat 6am-10pm PST & Sun 6am-8pm - LiveChat
Message 2 of 7 (219 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Aug 7, 2013

I called Sony yesterday and asked this very question and they told me that purchases are tied to the console and as long as someone on the console has a Plus account the old downloads will play.  You may want to call them yourself to ask, but that is what they told me.  And I called twice and both reps said the same thing.

Message 3 of 7 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1623 posts

Aug 7, 2013

IbanezHRC wrote:

I called Sony yesterday and asked this very question and they told me that purchases are tied to the console and as long as someone on the console has a Plus account the old downloads will play.  You may want to call them yourself to ask, but that is what they told me.  And I called twice and both reps said the same thing.

both reps are incorrect, how would the store know whats on the console?

the purchases are tied to the PSN ID regardless if they were paid for or downloaded free with a plus suscription

the download history is tied to the PSN ID not the console

what the rep probably meant was any sub acounts can play the free stuff the master account downloaded using plus as long as both accounts are on the console

Message 4 of 7 (209 Views)
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2013

What both reps said was that the license for the free games downloaded from Plus is just checking to see that any user registered to that console has a Plus account.   Basically they are saying that the license doesn't care who actually downloaded it.  It is a Plus free download, and as long as their is a Plus account associated with that console the games will play for anyone on that console.  

That is what two different reps told me in two different conversations.  Choose to belive it or not, all I can do is tell you what they said.

Message 5 of 7 (205 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
34278 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2013

All you can tell us is what they said, but we know how the console actually works.  Some of the reps don't even own a PS3, and they don't have access to consoles at work. 

The license for the free games is not user-specific, per-se.  Once the game is downloaded, any user profile on the PS3 can play the game, regardless of who purchased it.  The console does not care.  That has nothing to do with Playstation Plus.  All PS3 games from the Playstation Store work that way.  However, the license is associated with a specific PSN account, and therefore with a specific user profile.  That user profile and PSN account "owns" the game.  If you delete that user profile from the console, then the license is deleted also, and the game will no longer work for any other user of the console.  If the PSN account that purchased the game (or got it free from Plus) deactivates the console, on the console; then its license files are deleted from the console; and again the game will no longer work for any other user of the console.  If the PSN account that purchased the game clears the console activations from its account on the SEN web site, then the game will continue to work for all users of the console; because the console doesn't know that it is no longer activated under the PSN account.  The SEN web site has no way to delete license files from a console.  That is why you are only allowed to clear the activations from your console once every six months.

The reason both reps are wrong is that their responses were irrelevant to your question.  In order to get a game free with your Playstation Plus subscription, you have to purchase it (for $0.00), while it is still in the Playstation Plus Free Games section of the Playstation Store.  Once you do, then that game remains in your downloads list even after it leaves the Playstation Plus Free Games section of the Playstation Store, for as long as you remain a Plus subscriber.  Once your Plus subscription ends, you can't download any of the free games, or even play them, because the license expires when your subscription does.  If you allow your Plus subscription to lapse, then you forfeit all of the past free game content that you accumulated while you were a subscriber.  In practice Sony does allow you an unspecified grace period during which you can purchase a new subscription, and get all of the free games that you purchased returned to your downloads list.  If you don't buy a new subscription within the grace period, then you lose all the free games that you had before, permanently; and you would have to start over as if you had never subscribed to Plus before.  If you subscribe to Plus using a different account, then you are a new subscriber, and would get only the games that are currently in the Playstation Plus section of the Playstation Store.  The fact that another user of the same console had a Plus subscription does not matter at all.  The fact that you had a Plus subscription with a different PSN account does not matter at all.  The fact that your PSN account played free Plus games before does not give you any entitlement to download those games yourself, if you purchase a Plus subscription with a different account.

GKP
Message 6 of 7 (196 Views)
Highlighted
MVP Support
11865 posts

Aug 7, 2013

The purchases themselves are tied to the account which purchased the content.  You can check this by navigating to a game title under the game tab on the XMB.  Press triangle to bring up the title's options menu and select 'Information'.  Listed among the information is the Owner, License Start Date, Expiration date and time left.

For titles you straight up bought, the Owner will be the account which made the purchase, the License start date will be the purchase date, and the expiration info will be blank (since the title does not expire).  For PS+ titles, the Owner will be the account which the PS+ License belongs to, License start date will be the date the title was originally downloaded and the Expiration date will be the date the current PS+ subsciption Ends (or ended).  For expired PS+ subcriptions, the time left info will state 'Expired'.

To renew the PS+ license on titles no longer available in the IGC, the original PS+ account must renew PS+.  A different account will receive an error to the effect of invalid account information.  For titles currently in the IGC, you'll just need to go to the Store, start the download (to associate the title with the new PS+ account), cancel it, then start up the game to renew the license on the already downloaded/installed content.

Games must currently be in the Instant Game Collection for licenses to transfer in this fashion.  Previous PS+/IGC games must be renewed using the same account under which they were originally downloaded.

Message 7 of 7 (194 Views)
0 Likes