Aug 28 2012
By: OBJ3CT1V3_Z3RO First Son 1 posts
Accepted Solution

Why can we download only one save from online storage every 24 hours?

12 replies 3381 views Edited Aug 28, 2012

I just updated my hard drive from 40 gigs to 750 gigs.  I'm happy with how easy it was to upgrade, but something has been perplexing me and preventing from restoring all the saves to my old username on the new hard drive.  I bought a year subscription to Playstation Plus on Sunday evening/monday morning, and I still can't access my online storage back ups.

This is something I don't understand, and I was wondering if someone could help me out here and explain it further.

Am I allowed to download as many saves as I want from online storage?  or is it only one saved game that can be downloaded from storage at once per day?

If so, why is the system so restrictive of how many times we can dowload our back ups and when we can access them?

A little clarification would be greatly Appreciated.  ~Nikolai 

Message 1 of 13 (3,381 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40063 posts

Re: Why can we download only one save from online storage every 24 hours?

Aug 28, 2012

I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any restrictions in the way you describe them, the only restriction I am aware of is the 24 hour wait period from save to cloud to wanting to download from cloud, could this be your issue?

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 13 (3,378 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 29, 2012

I downloaded all my save games in the same day with PS+

I upgraded to the 160 Slim and everything went smooth, the only restriction is EA games which are locked save files, those need to be transfered one at a time... for some reason the "copy multiple" doesn't include them for upload or download.

Message 3 of 13 (3,373 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
29410 posts

Sep 6, 2012

You can download your save data from online storage as much as you like to the same PS3 that it was uploaded from.  You can also download your save data from online storage as much as you like to any other PS3 that you are signed-in with your PSN account on; except if the save data is copy-prohibited (locked).  In that case, you can only download the save data to a different PS3 than the one that it was uploaded from, once every 24 hours; but you can download all of your locked save data to one other PS3 once every 24 hours.  There are no other restrictions on access to cloud saves.  You should be able to download your online storage save data to any PS3 that you have a login profile for your PSN account on. That's the main point of the feature.  The PS3 User name doesn't matter, but obviously you have to be signed up for Playstation Network with the same account that you used before.

GKP
Message 4 of 13 (3,355 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jun 13, 2013

But why is there this restriction?  I have 2 PS3s and I move between them a lot.  What reason in the world could there be to stop me from doing this?  Why can I only download once per 24 hours?  It's an insane and annoying restriction.  

Message 5 of 13 (2,978 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
29410 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2013

The 24-hour wait only applies to copy-prohibited save data, which otherwise could not be copied to another console at all.  Save data that is not copy prohibited can be downloaded from online storage whenever you want. Being able to copy locked save data after a 24 hour wait is a lot better than not being able to copy it at all, which was the case before online storage was available.  Some developers have reasons why they don't want their save data copied between consoles.  Those reasons did not go away because online storage was created.  The 24 hour wait is a compromise between the interests of Sony, and the interests of the game publishers.  It probably represents the best deal that Sony could get from its licensees.  Be thankful that you can copy your locked save data to your other console at all.  Three years ago it wasn't possible.

GKP
Message 6 of 13 (2,976 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 31, 2013

can any1 even think of ONE VALID REASON why any game pubishers would ever mind if you copied a saved game from 1 console to another??

Message 7 of 13 (2,663 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
29410 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 14, 2014

That depends on why you want to do it.  If you want to do it to use save data that someone else created to get trophies, single-player content, or multi-player perks, that you did not earn by playing; then the publisher does have a problem with that.  It diminishes the value of those things for the people that did earn them, and that is bad for the game overall. Unfortunately the console has no way of knowing what your motivation is, so it has to assume the worst.

GKP
Message 8 of 13 (2,653 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 14, 2014

so my dark souls 2 data is dead on the hd  (power faliuere)-  but i have it in the cloud - but have to wait 24 hours , and it will be all there.....?

Message 9 of 13 (1,716 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
29410 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 14, 2014

The 24-hour clock starts when the save data was last uploaded to online storage.  Not when it was lost on the hard disk.  If it has been more than 24 hours since you last copied the save data to online storage, then you can download it at any time to any PS3 console.  Also, replacing your hard drive does not make your PS3 a different PS3, so the 24-hour delay would not apply at all unless you bought a different PS3.

GKP
Message 10 of 13 (1,710 Views)