Highlighted
Jun 28 2013
By: barneyruckus Monster Hunter 28 posts
Accepted Solution

Seemingly No Mercy From Sony

7 replies 1109 views Edited Jun 28, 2013

Hi,

I recently made the mistake of "thinking" that my PS Plus account was active. Turned out it wasn't. My mistake. I downloaded a handful of "free" games and of course, I got dinged over 125 bucks for all the "purchases". I didn't play the games, and asked Sony if I could re-up my subscription the next day when I received the email confirming my purchases. I was told that in general, all sales are final and while my case would be reviewed, I am not guaranteed any money back.

I got first word back saying that they would refund a one time amount of $19.99 and will not refund any purchases in the future. It seems that they chose that game to refund, because it was the first to be downloaded (I'm assuming). The other downloads; however, are not and will not be refunded. That's $105 bucks towards games that I probably would not have downloaded had I not thought that they were free.

I haven't even installed those games yet, and at this point, when I look at those $$$$ unstalled bubbles, it makes me cringe. This was a very expensive mistake on my part that Sony does not seem to want to forgive.

I have already pre-ordered my PS4 and was planning to keep a constant membership for Plus, but now... Just the thought of giving Sony money upsets me. I've only had my PS3 for 8 months now. N was thinking about getting the next gen console, but seeing that Sony can't afford a little compasion, I'm thinking about cancelling my PS4 order.

All I know is... If this happened at a brick and mortar store, they would probably not even ask questions when you return something that is brand new, unused and unopened. Especially if you were agreeing to a yearly subscription. They would want to make sure that you feel comfortable spending your money there.

Message 1 of 8 (1,109 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Re: Seemingly No Mercy From Sony

Jun 28, 2013

With all the buttons you've got to click to complete the sales transaction I find it difficult to believe you didn't notice you were paying for these games. That was a very valuable lesson to have learned.

Message 2 of 8 (370 Views)
Monster Hunter
28 posts

Jun 28, 2013

While I am certainly not lying about my mistake, I thank you for your reply. I am not deminishing the fact that my mistake was a boneheaded one, but wanted to express my frustration with Sony's lack tolerance for such mistakes.

Message 3 of 8 (359 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
644 posts

Jul 7, 2013

sounds like digital is not for you. stay with discs because you clearly dont take the time to read policies. 

Equality for all
Message 4 of 8 (291 Views)
Monster Hunter
28 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Yeah, I agree. Unless I reactivate my Plus account... I will not be downloading any games in the future. I was actually thinking that very thing this weekend when I finally decided to play the games that I "bought". Maybe it's the fact that I wouldn't have downloaded them, had I known it wasn't free, but the fact that I am now "stuck" with a digital copy of a game that I cannot sell as used to a GameStop or something.

I must know; however, do you actually read through all those policies that you come across from all the sites and all the accounts? If so, I commend you.

I didn't read the complete policy, but I don't think that's what I was upset about, and I thought I clearly stated that I am upset with myself as well. What I was upset about, was the lack of understanding of the situation (I suppose on both sides). To many, it's a poor way of doing business, to others, it's the only way of doing business.

Message 5 of 8 (261 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11375 posts

Jul 8, 2013

barneyruckus wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Unless I reactivate my Plus account... I will not be downloading any games in the future. I was actually thinking that very thing this weekend when I finally decided to play the games that I "bought". Maybe it's the fact that I wouldn't have downloaded them, had I known it wasn't free, but the fact that I am now "stuck" with a digital copy of a game that I cannot sell as used to a GameStop or something.

I must know; however, do you actually read through all those policies that you come across from all the sites and all the accounts? If so, I commend you.

I didn't read the complete policy, but I don't think that's what I was upset about, and I thought I clearly stated that I am upset with myself as well. What I was upset about, was the lack of understanding of the situation (I suppose on both sides). To many, it's a poor way of doing business, to others, it's the only way of doing business.

It's not so much the policies as it is the checkout process that happens when making a purchase on the PSN store.  The final page that comes up gives you a summary of your purchases and details how much money will be added to your wallet to complete the purchase.  At the bottom of your screen (right under the TOTAL AMOUNT you will be paying) is a CONFIRM PURCHASE button.

I don't know about reading the finer details of an end user agreement, but I do know that it is probably a good idea to review a puchase summary before confirming the purchase (for the third time).

Basically, there is a different route when making a purchase vs downloading a 'free' PS+ game.  The biggest of which is that when you go to download a PS+ title, there IS NO PURCHASE SUMMARY to review.  And in fact, if you have PS+, there is not even a 'Buy Now' button on the game's page for current IGC games...  there is a DOWNLOAD button.

Message 6 of 8 (251 Views)
Monster Hunter
28 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2013

Thanks again for your responses guys. I wasn't aware that there was a different type of check out for games that you pay money for. The point where we noticed that we paid for the games was just as I clicked the confirm purchase button. We more or less were not completely paying attention to the details of the transaction as I told both my friend and my GF that the games were free. Of course... Again... I was wrong. I didn't completely understand what was going on... N when I saw the total amount, I originally thought that was the amount it would have cost.

Ultimately... I made the mistake... I think I've been quite clear about that. N I really do appreciate people's input; however, I still feel that Sony's method of dealing with something like this is quite unforgiving and cut throat. I was obviously confused. Never would I ever, or have I ever, purchased that many games in one sitting before. Had I realized what was actually happening, I wouldn't have even thought about downloading all those games, all at once.

This just turned out to be a very expensive mistake... Like a speeding ticket, only I don't have to worry about my car insurance spiking. I hope that everyone can learn from it.

Message 7 of 8 (247 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11375 posts

Jul 9, 2013

barneyruckus wrote:

Thanks again for your responses guys. I wasn't aware that there was a different type of check out for games that you pay money for. The point where we noticed that we paid for the games was just as I clicked the confirm purchase button. We more or less were not completely paying attention to the details of the transaction as I told both my friend and my GF that the games were free. Of course... Again... I was wrong. I didn't completely understand what was going on... N when I saw the total amount, I originally thought that was the amount it would have cost.

Ultimately... I made the mistake... I think I've been quite clear about that. N I really do appreciate people's input; however, I still feel that Sony's method of dealing with something like this is quite unforgiving and cut throat. I was obviously confused. Never would I ever, or have I ever, purchased that many games in one sitting before. Had I realized what was actually happening, I wouldn't have even thought about downloading all those games, all at once.

This just turned out to be a very expensive mistake... Like a speeding ticket, only I don't have to worry about my car insurance spiking. I hope that everyone can learn from it.

We were all new to the network at one time or another, and it used to be buying stuff on the PSN Store was basically two clicks (Buy Now, Confirm Purchase) and done.  I think they added the extra two clicks (Add to Cart, Checkout), to try to avoid this issue.

In Account Management, you can even add an extra checkpoint (Enter Password, which is actually your Login Password), if you so choose, to avoid 'accidental' purchases by other members of your household that use your PS3.

Sorry it cost you so much to learn, and you actually got pretty lucky getting *something* refunded.  In most cases, there are no refunds issued at all.

Message 8 of 8 (231 Views)