May 18 2013
By: BurntOutD First Son 4 posts

Playstation Plus on PS Vita, Expiring Games Renewal

4 replies 848 views Edited May 18, 2013
Im a ps+ member and have been for a while. My subscription would have been up in 28 days so I decided to renew for another year. I renewed through my ps3. My subscription went from expiring on 6/15/2013 to expiring on 6/15/2014. I checked the ps3 ps+ games I have installed and they still listed 28 days, I came to the ps forums and read about the "activate download then cancel" trick, and that did it, it showed 393 days remaining. No problem. So I figured I would do the same for the ps+ games I have installed on my Vita. Didnt work. I went to the ps store on the Vita and redownloaded then canceled the download hoping it would extend from 28 to 393 days. It didnt. So my question to you guys is this; how do I get my ps+ Vita games installed on my Vita to recognize the ps+ renewel, and have it increase the expiration date by 365 days? Is it simply a matter of having the 28 days run their course and the Vita will automatically recognize my new subscription? Or do I have to delete the games and redownload/install them? If I have to redownload them, thats freaking dumb. Anywho, any help is greatly appreciated, Ive sunk more time into disgaea than any other psv game, and just the inconvience of having to download it again and then pull my saves from the cloud sounds like a real hassle.
Message 1 of 5 (848 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

Re: Playstation Plus on PS Vita, Expiring Games Renewal

May 18, 2013

BurntOutD wrote:
Im a ps+ member and have been for a while. My subscription would have been up in 28 days so I decided to renew for another year. I renewed through my ps3. My subscription went from expiring on 6/15/2013 to expiring on 6/15/2014. I checked the ps3 ps+ games I have installed and they still listed 28 days, I came to the ps forums and read about the "activate download then cancel" trick, and that did it, it showed 393 days remaining. No problem. So I figured I would do the same for the ps+ games I have installed on my Vita. Didnt work. I went to the ps store on the Vita and redownloaded then canceled the download hoping it would extend from 28 to 393 days. It didnt. So my question to you guys is this; how do I get my ps+ Vita games installed on my Vita to recognize the ps+ renewel, and have it increase the expiration date by 365 days? Is it simply a matter of having the 28 days run their course and the Vita will automatically recognize my new subscription? Or do I have to delete the games and redownload/install them? If I have to redownload them, thats freaking dumb. Anywho, any help is greatly appreciated, Ive sunk more time into disgaea than any other psv game, and just the inconvience of having to download it again and then pull my saves from the cloud sounds like a real hassle.

If the re-download/cancel download trick didn't work, just wait out the 28 days. See if it only makes you re-download an "unlock key" after the deadline. If not, re-downloading them really isn't that much of a hassle. 

Nowdays, we have internet with super speed downloads. If it is still too slow for some people, obviously they were not around in the early 90's.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 2 of 5 (842 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13737 posts

May 18, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

BurntOutD wrote:

If the re-download/cancel download trick didn't work, just wait out the 28 days. See if it only makes you re-download an "unlock key" after the deadline. If not, re-downloading them really isn't that much of a hassle. 

Nowdays, we have internet with super speed downloads. If it is still too slow for some people, obviously they were not around in the early 90's.

I wouldn't say that. Sure, downloads have gotten faster, but so have the size of the downloads.

Back in the 90's, games and such weren't available online (and even if they were, games back then were much smaller)

Not to mention there's this false belief that almost everyone now has high speed internet.

The average internet speed in the US is 7.4 Mbps (which compared to some countries, is quite slow), with only 19% of the US using speeds over 10Mbps. It's been up over the last few years, but there are still plenty of people chugging along at sub-par speeds. I know many of my friends only have 1.5Mbps speeds (which, if you had a game like Uncharted GA, would take 5 hours to download digitally assuming you got maximum download speed the whole time)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 5 (838 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31540 posts

[ Edited ]
May 19, 2013

Downloading a game that is already installed on your console, even if it is expired, does not actually download the game.  It will renew the license, if the license is expired, but you are still entitled to the game.  The Playstation Store app will not replace a license that is still valid, even if a replacement license would have a later expiration date.  If you want to force the new expiration date, because you won't be able to sign-in to PSN for a while, for example; then the only way that you can do that is to delete the game from the console (after copying the save data to online storage, of course), and then download it again.  Normally you would wait until the license expires, and then it will either auto-renew the next time you start the game while you are signed-in to PSN, or you can download a new license manually from the downloads list.  

GKP
Message 4 of 5 (831 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

May 19, 2013
Well I went ahead and deleted the games installed on my Vita, then redownloaded and installed them and that extended the expiration date to the new expiration date.

I left a few games on there with the initial expiration date so that I can see if they automatically renew, I'll update this thread should they renew or not.
Message 5 of 5 (825 Views)
0 Likes