Dec 07 2012
By: bubbafat01 First Son 1 posts

Playstation Plus master vs.. sub accounts: thinking about going with XBox vs. playstation "Minus"

[ Edited ]
4 replies 851 views Edited Dec 7, 2012

In March we purchased a Plus Account, we did so thru my husbands account which is a sub-account of mine.   When it came time to renew, I purchased a year renewal on the Master Account.  Why can I not pull up any history, downloads, games, online storage, or any other data prior to me renewing our plus account.  I have read several  posts concerning the sub account\master account issues, and supposedly you aren"t suppose to be able to purchase a plus account on a sub acount, it all goes thru the master . . . . well we apparently did, and we lost everything in our online storage + all the supposedly free games that we had and have no access to get any of them back or reload them.  My son keeps telling me I sony playstation sucks, and trying to get me to go with XBox-and between this Plus (minus is what they should call it) and the crappy internet\Facebook interface that sony has "not" come up with, (I can't play anything there either), I really wish I had bought an XBox, where somebody knows what they are talkng about, cares enough to build a quality system and support their customers.  Especially since sony is only making what "? Billions! " for crap, think what they could have done if they actually gave a rats butt.

Message 1 of 5 (851 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31593 posts

Re: playstation plus master vs sub accounts

[ Edited ]
Dec 7, 2012

You obviously haven't spent any time on the XBox Live forums.  The XBox users complain about Microsoft there just as much as the Playstation users complain about Sony here. It's not an either-or issue anyway.  Serious adult gamers own more than one console.  Some own all of them. It's more productive to just work the problem. 

It's a common misconception that Playstation Store content of any kind can be shared between master accounts and their sub-accounts.  It can't be, and it never could.  No PSN account can access any content in the Playstation Store that was purchased by another account.  It doesn't matter if they are master and sub-accounts, or completely unrelated.  That is how PSN always worked.  Nothing purchased by or linked to a PSN account can ever be transferred to another PSN account.  It doesn't matter if they are master and sub-accounts, or completely unrelated.  That is how PSN always worked. Your master account has no access to anything related to the sub-accounts, except for the ability to change the password for the sub-account, and view the current sign-in e-mail address.  You can't view the sub-account's purchases or online storage without signing-in as the sub-account.  That is how PSN always worked.

Unless your husband is under 18, and you are his legal guardian, then he never should have had a sub-account in the first place.  You don't get a choice about whether to create a master account or a sub-account.  It is based on the age of the person using it.  The only way to create a sub-account for an adult is to lie about the person's age when the account is created; which is against PSN rules.  I'm guessing that your son set up the account, in which case he is partially responsible for this mess.  Your husband probably should have had a master account, or a sub-account under his parent's PSN account, in the first place.

Sub-accounts cannot purchase Playstation Plus subscriptions.  I don't remember if that restriction was in place from the beginning.  It may not have been.  Sub-accounts can purchase some subscriptions, but cannot purchase age-restricted subscriptions. Playstation Plus may not have been initially age-restricted. Again, this should not have been an issue with your husband unless he is under 18, if the proper account creation procedure had been followed.

There is nothing that you can do about this online.  The age restrictions are automatically enforced.  It may be worthwhile to call Playstation customer support at 800-345-SONY, and see if they can do anything to get you access to your online storage temporarily.

GKP
Message 2 of 5 (839 Views)
MVP Support
24784 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2012

gkpama00 wrote:

You obviously haven't spent any time on the XBox Live forums.  The XBox users complain about Microsoft there just as much as the Playstation users complain about Sony here. It's not an either-or issue anyway.  Serious adult gamers own more than one console.  Some own all of them. It's more productive to just work the problem. 

It's a common misconception that Playstation Store content of any kind can be shared between master accounts and their sub-accounts.  It can't be, and it never could.  No PSN account can access any content in the Playstation Store that was purchased by another account.  It doesn't matter if they are master and sub-accounts, or completely unrelated.  That is how PSN always worked.  Nothing purchased by or linked to a PSN account can ever be transferred to another PSN account.  It doesn't matter if they are master and sub-accounts, or completely unrelated.  That is how PSN always worked. Your master account has no access to anything related to the sub-accounts, except for the ability to change the password for the sub-account, and view the current sign-in e-mail address.  You can't view the sub-account's purchases or online storage without signing-in as the sub-account.  That is how PSN always worked.

Unless your husband is under 18, and you are his legal guardian, then he never should have had a sub-account in the first place.  You don't get a choice about whether to create a master account or a sub-account.  It is based on the age of the person using it.  The only way to create a sub-account for an adult is to lie about the person's age when the account is created; which is against PSN rules.  I'm guessing that your son set up the account, in which case he is partially responsible for this mess.  Your husband probably should have had a master account, or a sub-account under his parent's PSN account, in the first place.

Sub-accounts cannot purchase Playstation Plus subscriptions.  I don't remember if that restriction was in place from the beginning.  It may not have been.  Sub-accounts can purchase some subscriptions, but cannot purchase age-restricted subscriptions. Playstation Plus may not have been initially age-restricted. Again, this should not have been an issue with your husband unless he is under 18, if the proper account creation procedure had been followed.

There is nothing that you can do about this online.  The age restrictions are automatically enforced.  It may be worthwhile to call Playstation customer support at 800-345-SONY, and see if they can do anything to get you access to your online storage temporarily.

Okay now I'm confused. I made my daughter a sub-account on one of my Systems and I know for a fact she has access to any game I purchased and downloaded on that system. Plus games too.

And for the OP.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Off-Topic-Discussions/THE-UNOFFICIAL-We-Don-t-Care-If-You-Are...

Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 5 (822 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31593 posts

Dec 8, 2012

Right.  After you install a game, your daughter can play it; but that has nothing to do with her PSN account.  She can't download and install any of your games herself.

GKP
Message 4 of 5 (811 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Dec 8, 2012

gkpama00 wrote:

Right.  After you install a game, your daughter can play it; but that has nothing to do with her PSN account.  She can't download and install any of your games herself.

Ah...gotcha. That's correct.

Message 5 of 5 (805 Views)
0 Likes