Apr 09 2013
By: devilmosh First Son 31 posts

PS Plus vs bought games - How can you tell the difference?

6 replies 344 views Edited Apr 9, 2013

I apologize if this has been covered but I couldn't find it.

I have a ton of bought games, many of which were with Playstation Plus discounts (thank you!) and then I have several of the free games installed. My 500gb HD is always close to full but I like to hold on to my bought games and delete the free ones after I beat them, etc.

The problem is my memory is terrible and I forget which is which. I know on some games, like minis, you can look at their information and see expiration dates (even though you still have 'em for as long as you're subscribed) - that pretty much tells me it was a Plus freebie. But not all of the games do that. Off the top of my head, Double Dragon Neon and The Cave look like I own the game when I check out the information, and I know I didn't pay for those (they rock, btw!).

So, if I wasn't sure which was free and which I paid for and wanted to know, is there a way to tell on screen?

Message 1 of 7 (344 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41805 posts

Re: PS Plus vs bought games - How can you tell the difference?

Apr 9, 2013

devilmosh wrote:

I apologize if this has been covered but I couldn't find it.

I have a ton of bought games, many of which were with Playstation Plus discounts (thank you!) and then I have several of the free games installed. My 500gb HD is always close to full but I like to hold on to my bought games and delete the free ones after I beat them, etc.

The problem is my memory is terrible and I forget which is which. I know on some games, like minis, you can look at their information and see expiration dates (even though you still have 'em for as long as you're subscribed) - that pretty much tells me it was a Plus freebie. But not all of the games do that. Off the top of my head, Double Dragon Neon and The Cave look like I own the game when I check out the information, and I know I didn't pay for those (they rock, btw!).

So, if I wasn't sure which was free and which I paid for and wanted to know, is there a way to tell on screen?

Hiya,

Yes there is, just go to the game in your games list, press triangle  & I think you choose information, or about, it should then show you the date the game expires.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 7 (336 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 9, 2013

HI Brit-Ko! Several games can show that, yes, like the minis and I see the classics like Playstation One games, etc. Several PSN games, however, aren't showing Start or Expires times on them, though, so I can't tell the difference between the bought ones and the Plus freebies.

That's where my issue lies. If you have The Cave for free, for instance, press triangle and look Information. Nothing to show it's not owned. Other games that act this way that I definitely remember getting for free are Double Dragon, Quantum Conundrum, Anomaly, Retro City Rampage, Rock of Ages, Choplifter HD, and Trine 2. When you access their information by hitting triangle, there is nothing below the version number.

I was just playing some other games recently and scratching my head, thinking, "Do I own this or was this free?" I'm not worried because my subscription is good for a long time, but it's still nice to know. It would be a nightmare, if not impossible, for me to try looking back at everything I've bought from Sony and compare.

Message 3 of 7 (324 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41805 posts

Apr 10, 2013

devilmosh wrote:

HI Brit-Ko! Several games can show that, yes, like the minis and I see the classics like Playstation One games, etc. Several PSN games, however, aren't showing Start or Expires times on them, though, so I can't tell the difference between the bought ones and the Plus freebies.

That's where my issue lies. If you have The Cave for free, for instance, press triangle and look Information. Nothing to show it's not owned. Other games that act this way that I definitely remember getting for free are Double Dragon, Quantum Conundrum, Anomaly, Retro City Rampage, Rock of Ages, Choplifter HD, and Trine 2. When you access their information by hitting triangle, there is nothing below the version number.

I was just playing some other games recently and scratching my head, thinking, "Do I own this or was this free?" I'm not worried because my subscription is good for a long time, but it's still nice to know. It would be a nightmare, if not impossible, for me to try looking back at everything I've bought from Sony and compare.

The games that show a date on them are Plus titles that were free, if a game doesn't show an expiry date then it's your to keep forever.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 4 of 7 (319 Views)
First Son
31 posts

Apr 10, 2013

See, that's the problem, Brit-Ko. The games I listed above, for instance, I know that I downloaded free as a Playstation Plus subscriber. I don't keep those forever, and yet there are no Start/Expires dates at all for them.

This isn't with all games. Labyrinth Legends have the expiration dates, as it should. But The Cave has nothing below the Version number, and while my memory is often sketchy, I definitely downloaded that one for free on March 19th. I also know for sure that I didn't pay for Anomaly because I wasn't interested in it, but downloaded it because it was free for Plus. After trying it out, I dug it! But nope, nothing past the Version number - blank space after that.

LOL, if there's a big glitch and they're accidentally giving us games for good, perhaps I should keep my mouth shut, but I'm guessing it's simply something in the way the information is reading, which makes it difficult to identify as free or bought.

Message 5 of 7 (316 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Apr 10, 2013

Well, for now, just so I can keep tabs on them, I created a PS Plus folder and put all the ones with expiration dates in it, since those are obvious, then the ones I remembered getting free for sure. Then I searched 'Playstation Store Update' on the blog and browsed through, matching the dates free games were released with the dates my games were created.

There were others that I'd forgotten about and had, indeed, received them on the same day they were given to us for free, so I know I didn't buy them despite no Start or Expire dates (like with The Cave, etc). Others included Sideway, The Simpsons Arcade Game, Shank 2, and Fatal Intertia EX...

It'd be nice if there was a Playstation Plus symbol on their icons or something to let us know for sure.

Message 6 of 7 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
10623 posts

Apr 10, 2013
Go here http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com sign in, then click on media which takes you to your download list, it will show you the expiration date there, so all games you see with an expiration date will be a plus game. I know that the cave shows the expiration date on that site I told you, I didn't check for it on the system, but just use that site to know for sure.
Message 7 of 7 (300 Views)