May 12 2013
By: WhyGog First Son 3 posts
Accepted Solution

PS Plus Games Missing

11 replies 1365 views Edited May 12, 2013

I seem to have some games missing from my "Free Games" my PS+, namely Disgaea 3 for the Vita.  I have an actve subscription, so I know that isn't the problem.  Do they hid some of the older games in other places in the PS3 store?

Message 1 of 12 (1,365 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Re: PS Plus Games Missing

May 12, 2013

WhyGog wrote:

I seem to have some games missing from my "Free Games" my PS+, namely Disgaea 3 for the Vita.  I have an actve subscription, so I know that isn't the problem.  Do they hid some of the older games in other places in the PS3 store?

"Free" games come and go. Unless you downloaded it at some point (and it is in your "My Downloads"), you can no longer get games that were once "Free," after the offer has expired. And Disgaea 3 is no longer a "Free" title for PS+.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 2 of 12 (1,358 Views)
First Son
3 posts

May 12, 2013

Geez.  Leave it to Sony to come up with a great idea like PS+, and then completely bungle the execution.  I have no idea how many games I've lost due to "I'll just get it later".

Message 3 of 12 (1,347 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10995 posts

May 12, 2013

WhyGog wrote:

Geez.  Leave it to Sony to come up with a great idea like PS+, and then completely bungle the execution.  I have no idea how many games I've lost due to "I'll just get it later".

There is no 'bungling' about it.  PS+ has been this way from the start.

It has just evolved a little.  When PS+ started, it was 4 PS3 games, 2 Minis and a PSOne Classic every month.

Now it is a rotating selection of 'at least' 18 games (12 for the PS3, 6 for the PSV) that get rotated ever couple of weeks.  Some games remain 'free' for several months, while other games come and go in less than a month.  Just look at it as incentive to join PS+ sooner, rather than later, to make sure you get the most value out of your membership.  Keeping the free games free indefinitely would not make any business sense at all.

Message 4 of 12 (1,342 Views)
Highlighted
MVP Support
24784 posts

May 12, 2013

WhyGog wrote:

The one that "bungled the execution" is you. You only need to start the download then cancel it for it to appear in your download list. Then you can "just get it later" as long as you're still a Plus member.

Message 5 of 12 (1,341 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 12, 2013

ne1atall wrote:

WhyGog wrote:

The one that "bungled the execution" is you. You only need to start the download then cancel it for it to appear in your download list. Then you can "just get it later" as long as you're still a Plus member.

ne1atall is spot on with this.

I do this all the time. If I'm not ready to fully commit (download) the game, I "purchase" it, let the download start, then cancel it.

At least this way the game will then be in "My Downloads" when I decide to get around to it, for as long as I am a PS+ memeber.

Try doing this for any games you want to eventually play, but are not ready to download/take up room on your HDD.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 6 of 12 (1,333 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 12, 2013

I don't believe I bungled anything.  My major problem is that Sony does not readily warn you that any titles you don't start downloading (purchase), you lose access to once they are pulled from the "free" category.  I've checked the PS+ homepage (http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/)  and the closest I see is "New games added to your collection every month".  I don't see any disclaimer on this page, or any other PS+ page or that matter, that you must start downloading a "free" game in order to have it added to your collection.  The sentence above strongly suggests that it is automatically added to your collection.  I also don't believe that a person should be retroactively given copies of all past PS+ "free" titles, I just think that the "free" titles should be automatically credited to you if you are currently an active PS+ subscriber.

The starting a download then stopping is fine.  If it is a work around for games I might want to play later, but don't want to right now, then I'll use it and that's fine.  Just some heads up on Sony's part would have been nice.

Message 7 of 12 (1,329 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10995 posts

May 13, 2013

WhyGog wrote:

I don't believe I bungled anything.  My major problem is that Sony does not readily warn you that any titles you don't start downloading (purchase), you lose access to once they are pulled from the "free" category.  I've checked the PS+ homepage (http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/)  and the closest I see is "New games added to your collection every month".  I don't see any disclaimer on this page, or any other PS+ page or that matter, that you must start downloading a "free" game in order to have it added to your collection.  The sentence above strongly suggests that it is automatically added to your collection.  I also don't believe that a person should be retroactively given copies of all past PS+ "free" titles, I just think that the "free" titles should be automatically credited to you if you are currently an active PS+ subscriber.

The starting a download then stopping is fine.  If it is a work around for games I might want to play later, but don't want to right now, then I'll use it and that's fine.  Just some heads up on Sony's part would have been nice.

If games were automatically added to your collection (ie downloaded automatically), people would complain about games being downloaded that they have no interest in.

Besides that, the fact that there is a "Leaving the IGC Soon" section in the store didn't clue you in to the fact that there was some action required on your part?

Message 8 of 12 (1,321 Views)
MVP Support
29381 posts

May 13, 2013

To be fair, the OP is not the first person to make this mistake. It used to be a FAQ in this forum when Playstation Plus was newer.

GKP
Message 9 of 12 (1,318 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7089 posts

May 13, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

WhyGog wrote:

There is no 'bungling' about it.  PS+ has been this way from the start.

It has just evolved a little.  When PS+ started, it was 4 PS3 games, 2 Minis and a PSOne Classic every month.

Now it is a rotating selection of 'at least' 18 games (12 for the PS3, 6 for the PSV) that get rotated ever couple of weeks.  Some games remain 'free' for several months, while other games come and go in less than a month.  Just look at it as incentive to join PS+ sooner, rather than later, to make sure you get the most value out of your membership.  Keeping the free games free indefinitely would not make any business sense at all.

It was actually 1 PS3 game (4 games total) every month.

I do think it would be better if games were automatically added for subscribers, but as pointed out, then people might complain about their download list getting full of games they don't want.  To me that seems like a lesser problem, and they could make it an optional setting (like automatic updates).  Personally I download everything anyway; I wish the list had sorting options, but that's a different issue.

Message 10 of 12 (1,306 Views)
0 Likes