Jul 11 2013
By: Tostecles First Son 3 posts

New member- question about PS+ free game downloads. I'd appreciate a quick response!

4 replies 68 views Edited Jul 11, 2013

Hey, all. I'm a new PS3 owner and new to PS+. I'm familiar with the basics of PS+ and all the cool benefits and it's pretty sweet! Here's my current dilemma, followed by my question.

I bought the Uncharted 3 GOTY edition 250GB bundle, which came with a free year of PS+. 

Literally all of the full-price retail games that are free currently (July) I already own, some on PC as well as Xbox. (And, obviously, I already have Uncharted 3.) 

I recognize that there are some PSN downloadable games, but I checked them out and I'm not particularly interested in any of the ones that are currently available for free for PS+ users.

As I understand, I get 12 free "Instant Game Collection" downloads with my PS+ subscription. Now, here's my question. If I don't utilize any of my free downloads this month, can I still download some of my 12 free games starting next month when different games are free for PS+ users? 

So, to phrase my question simply, can I choose to not download anything for free this month, and still be able to download 12 titles in the future, or will downloading nothing this month be a waste and leave me with only 11 free downloads?

Sorry for the wall of text; I'm quite a talkative guy and I'm no good at keeping things short and sweet. I'd really appreciate a response, thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5 (68 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39980 posts

Re: New member- question about PS+ free game downloads. I'd appreciate a quick response!

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013
Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Tostecles wrote:

Hey, all. I'm a new PS3 owner and new to PS+. I'm familiar with the basics of PS+ and all the cool benefits and it's pretty sweet! Here's my current dilemma, followed by my question.

I bought the Uncharted 3 GOTY edition 250GB bundle, which came with a free year of PS+. 

Literally all of the full-price retail games that are free currently (July) I already own, some on PC as well as Xbox. (And, obviously, I already have Uncharted 3.) 

I recognize that there are some PSN downloadable games, but I checked them out and I'm not particularly interested in any of the ones that are currently available for free for PS+ users.

As I understand, I get 12 free "Instant Game Collection" downloads with my PS+ subscription. Now, here's my question. If I don't utilize any of my free downloads this month, can I still download some of my 12 free games starting next month when different games are free for PS+ users? 

So, to phrase my question simply, can I choose to not download anything for free this month, and still be able to download 12 titles in the future, or will downloading nothing this month be a waste and leave me with only 11 free downloads?

The 12 games which form part of the IGC (Instant Game Collection) are rotated in then out & are always changing, I don't know how long you are subscribed for but yes, you can choose not to download any games at all this month, I think i only downloaded one myself, & hiope for better choices next month.

We will never like all of the games given, like you I already have UC3 (Most do!), & there were others that didn't interest me, weeks/months go like that, some good ones some not so good, it happens.

There will always be 12 to choose from, some will leave next month & other new ones will arrive.

Sorry for the wall of text; I'm quite a talkative guy and I'm no good at keeping things short and sweet. I'd really appreciate a response, thanks in advance.

Hope this helps.
BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 5 (62 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: New member- question about PS+ free game downloads. I'd appreciate a quick response!

Jul 11, 2013

Thanks for the reply! I just have one small confusion now.

You said that there're always 12 games up as freebies every month. I thought I'm only permitted to have 12 free games, because it's a year-long subscription and there's 12 months in the year. 

Am I only permitted to download 12 free games with Playstation Plus and that's all, or can I continue to download more than 12 once I've been a member for more than a year? You only get one free download a month, right?

Message 3 of 5 (56 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
29320 posts

Jul 11, 2013

That's not how it works.  There are a limited number free games offered to Playstation Plus subscribers at any given time, but you don't have to choose among them.  You can take them all.  All 18 some-odd PS3, PSP, and Vita games.  Next month one or more of the games in the Instant Game Collection will be replaced with a different one, but as long as you purchased (for free) the games that are leaving the Instant Game Collection, you can still download them later.  Playstation Store purchases work the same way when they are free, as they do for paid games; except that you can't download or play the free games, past or present, unless you have a current Plus subscription. You can also purchase all of the new additions to the Instant Game Collection for free. The longer you remain a Playstation Plus subscriber, the more free games you can accumulate.  There is no limit.  People that have had Playstation Plus subscriptions since Playstation Plus launched have accumulated over 150 free games.  It doesn't matter if you actually download any of them.  As long as you purchase them, for free, in the Playstation Store; you can download them later.  I generally don't download Plus games until I decide to play them.  

GKP
Message 4 of 5 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
3 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Appreciate the clarification.  Wow, that's pretty killer. So  basically, I might as well initiate a download on  whatever I might even have a vague interest in just to gain the rights to the software to dowload later, eh? I was under the impression that I had to pick my choices carefully. Thanks again. 

Message 5 of 5 (51 Views)
0 Likes