Aug 06 2013
By: IbanezHRC First Son 7 posts

Master and Sub Account transfer on Plus

13 replies 4694 views Edited Aug 6, 2013

I had been wanting to try out PSN Plus fo a while so I got a three month subscriptiuon to try it out and I went ahead and implemented it on my son's account.  I am now thinking that it might have been better if I had implemented it on my account.  So my questions are:

1) If I renew the Plus when the 3 month pass on my son's sub account expires, but I renew it on my account (master) will the free game dowlnoads from the three months when the Plus was on my sons sub account still be playable?

2)Conversely, if I keep the Plus account associated with my son's sub account and I get a PS Vita for myself, will the free vita games we downloaded be playable on my Vita (which would be linked to my master account)?

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 14 (4,694 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1623 posts

Re: Master and Sub Account transfer on Plus

Aug 7, 2013

IbanezHRC wrote:

I had been wanting to try out PSN Plus fo a while so I got a three month subscriptiuon to try it out and I went ahead and implemented it on my son's account.  I am now thinking that it might have been better if I had implemented it on my account.  So my questions are:

1) If I renew the Plus when the 3 month pass on my son's sub account expires, but I renew it on my account (master) will the free game dowlnoads from the three months when the Plus was on my sons sub account still be playable?

2)Conversely, if I keep the Plus account associated with my son's sub account and I get a PS Vita for myself, will the free vita games we downloaded be playable on my Vita (which would be linked to my master account)?

Thanks for your help.

you actualy cant activate plus on a sub-account

Message 2 of 14 (4,686 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Aug 7, 2013

Quote: you actualy cant activate plus on a sub-account

Well I did.  But, I had read many times on this forum that you cannot add Plus to a sub account.  I called Playstation support today to ask some of the questions in my original post and they said you definitely can add Plus to a sub account.  If anyone is curious about the rest of their answers:

1) They said if I let the Plus on the sub account expire and then add Plus to the master account I will still be able to play the games we downloaded while the Plus was associated with the sub account.  They said the Plus downlaods are basically tied to the console not the specific account holder.  So, as long as someone one the console has plus the games will play.  Thats what they said anyway, and I heard it from two different reps.

2) No one could give me a definitive answer on the Vita question, but they think I will not be able to add the Vita games previously downloaded from my sons sub Plus account onto a Vita tied to my master account.  But I am not so sure....  When I am on the PS3 console under my account I see the vita downloads from my son and if I click on them they say to attach a Vita for transfer.  So, I wonder if they might work if I had a Vita on my master account? (which I do not have yet)

Message 3 of 14 (4,679 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
34671 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 8, 2013

What you are describing is not activating Playstation Plus on a sub-account.  You don't activate Plus at all.  Playstation Plus is a subscription.  A subscription must be purchased by a specific PSN account.  PSN sub-accounts cannot purchase Plus subscriptions. They used to be able to, but they can't anymore.  Customer support did not tell you otherwise. What they suggested was that you could have the  master account subscribe to Playstation Plus instead.  Any free games that are installed by the Master account can also be played by the sub-account.  That has nothing to do with the fact that it is a master account.  Games installed by one PSN account can generally be played by other user profiles on the same PS3, regardless of whether or not they are sub-accounts of the purchasing account.  This has nothing to do with Playstation Plus either.  All PS3 games in the Playstation Store work this way. Not just the ones that are free for Plus subscribers.

The misconception that you have is that this is a "transfer".  Nothing. And I mean absolutely nothing, is ever transferred from one PSN account to another.  Master accounts and their sub-accounts are no exception to this. Master accounts have no special access to things purchased by their sub-accounts, and sub-accounts have no special access to things purchased by their master account.  By "special", I mean access that any other PSN account on the same PS3 would not have. There is no transfer of the Plus subscription.  If you buy a Plus subscription with your master  account, then you are a new subscriber to Plus.  All you get, initially, is the content that is in the Playstation Plus section of the Playstation Store this week.  You will not have access to any of the content that your son acquired when he was a Plus subscriber. Only his account has access to that, and he can't subscribe anymore. 

What seems to be confusing you is that the content that your son downloaded is still on your PS3, which it would be, regardless of which account you are signed-in as.  When your Playstation Plus subscription expires, nothing disappears from your PS3.  The content will be removed from the Downloads List of your son's PSN account.  That is all.  However, the licenses for the games expire when your son's Plus subscription expires, and as you will not have the same games in your PSN Downloads List, you won't be able to renew the licenses.  As a result, the games will no longer be playable, and won't be unless you buy them; except for the games that are still in the Playstation Plus section of the Playstation Store.  You can renew the licenses for those, if you purchase a subscription to Plus for your master account.

None of the content that your son downloaded can be transferred to a Vita that is using your PSN account, unless it is still in the Playstation Plus section of the Playstation Store, and you add it to your account after subscribing to Plus.  Absolutely none of it can be transferred to a Vita that is using your son's PSN account after his Plus subscription expires, unless he buys the games individually. It doesn't matter if you purchase a Plus subscription for the master account, or not, as far as your son playing the games on the Vita is concerned.

GKP
Message 4 of 14 (4,664 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 8, 2013

Quote: What you are describing is not activating Playstation Plus on a sub-account.  You don't activate Plus at all.  Playstation Plus is a subscription.

Really..... Are we really going to argue symantecs?  Okay, I'll play along....  I "purchased" a Plus "subscription" and implemented it, or associated it with, or added it to..... whatever the proper term is, I put it on my son's sub account.

Quote: PSN sub-accounts cannot purchase Plus subscriptions...... Customer support did not tell you otherwise.

Oh, I did not realize you were also on the phone with me and the Sony technical service rep during our conversation.    

I DID purchase a Plus subscription for my son's sub account.  It can be done and I did it.  There is absolutely no question about this.

The Sony techical service rep DID tell me that sub accounts absolutely, positively, without question, CAN have Plus accounts.

Message 5 of 14 (4,656 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1623 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 8, 2013

IbanezHRC wrote:

Quote: What you are describing is not activating Playstation Plus on a sub-account.  You don't activate Plus at all.  Playstation Plus is a subscription.

Really..... Are we really going to argue symantecs?  Okay, I'll play along....  I "purchased" a Plus "subscription" and implemented it, or associated it with, or added it to..... whatever the proper term is, I put it on my son's sub account.

Quote: PSN sub-accounts cannot purchase Plus subscriptions...... Customer support did not tell you otherwise.

Oh, I did not realize you were also on the phone with me and the Sony technical service rep during our conversation.    

I DID purchase a Plus subscription for my son's sub account.  It can be done and I did it.  There is absolutely no question about this.

The Sony techical service rep DID tell me that sub accounts absolutely, positively, without question, CAN have Plus accounts.

maybe you sons account is not actually a sub account, is your son under the age of 18 based on the date of birth info you used to make the account?

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/reward_game/playstationplus-1-year-membership/ci...Smiley TongueSmiley Tongue

you can see in the description you need to be 18 tp purchase playstation plus

Message 6 of 14 (4,652 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
26641 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 8, 2013

This person seems to only want to argue but I've got to add that Plus used to be available for sub accounts but it no longer is. Also the phone reps are known to make mistakes. If you were told you can purchase Plus for a sub account that's no longer true and the rep made a mistake. Also gkpama answered your questions. Nothing can be transfered anyway so it doesn't matter if the sub account had Plus before.

Message 7 of 14 (4,647 Views)
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 8, 2013

My son is under 18, his account is definately a Sub account and has been for years.  The PS Plus subscription was added to his account last week.

But you guys know everytihng....  so I guess none of this must be true.

I came on this forum as a new user looking for help with a genuine problem. 

And all I got in return was people telling me that I didn’t actually do the things that I know I did, and I didn’t actually have the phone conversations with Sony that I know I had, and that I am using the wrong terminology because you don’t “active a Plus account” but rather you “purchase a Plus subscription”.

None of this helps anybody nor is it constructive.  To treat someone like this is arrogant, condescending, and rude.  Yes, GKP did answer my question…  after two paragraphs of telling me I didn’t do the things I did, I didn’t have the conversations I had, and I was using the wrong terminology.

It is unfortunate that the Sony corporate sponsored forum is not a place where people can get questions answered in a welcoming and friendly manner. 

Message 8 of 14 (4,637 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
39 posts

Sep 4, 2013

I belive you mate. I am a sub account and i am able to subscibe to playstation plus. I belive a few years ago i called up sony because i couldnt play uncharted 2 online, and they messed with my account and suddenly i was able to purchase 18 games and ps plus workED somehow. I know some sub accounts can do it. 

Message 9 of 14 (4,548 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
39 posts

Sep 4, 2013
AND IN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION: Yes you can renew ps plus on your account and he can play on ps3 ps plus games, Provided both accounts are on the ps3. However only one account is allowed on a vita via the memory card so he would be unable to play the vita titles. Hope this helped
Message 10 of 14 (4,547 Views)
0 Likes