Jan 26 2013
By: sparepart Hekseville Citizen 363 posts

License renewal of free games on plus

7 replies 1955 views Edited Jan 26, 2013

I currently have about 152 PS Plus games on my 500gb HDD not including other games that I own. Last week we experienced an internet outage for most of the day. That's when I noticed that some of the plus games on my system would not play because they were expired. I was wondering if there was anyway of knowing of this was an issue that would be addressed on a future update for the PS3? I understand sometimes when PSN is down content cannot be updated as well.

I would like to at least see an option that would allow me to choose to check for all expired content on my system manually rather than have to open every game folder info box just to make a list and update each one so just incase my network goes down again and can't play my favorite online game, that I can at least try one of my PLUS games that I downloaded and haven't played yet.

Message 1 of 8 (1,955 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10595 posts

Re: License renewal of free games on plus

Jan 27, 2013
It shouldn`t expire because of an internet outage, also you don`t need to check each game, the expiration date of all free plus games is the same as the end date of your current subscription. the games are given a time limit when download. (which as I mentioned is the end date of your subscription.) Which is why you can still play the plus games even when you are offline.

When you renew your subscription, sometimes the games don`t update the time, which all you need to do is start the download and cancel to update, I also hear starting up the game will automatically update the date as well.

I have not ever heard of an issue with internet outages causing games to expire, I am not sure what caused your problem though, but I doubt it was the internet outage.
Message 2 of 8 (1,938 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

Jan 27, 2013

Im not saying the internet has anything to do with the matter, other than I cannot access a plus game on my HDD if my subscription has expired and renewed automatically and I have not played that game since the renewal.

Message 3 of 8 (1,935 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31434 posts

Jan 27, 2013

The forum isn't the place to request new features, but all of your Playstation Plus games and DLC will expire when the subscription that was in effect when you downloaded them expires; because that is the only way that Sony can stop you from using the content if you don't renew your subscription.  If you do renew your subscription, then you have to renew the license for all of the free content by downloading it from the Playstation Store again.  The content won't actually be downloaded again if it is already installed, but the license file will be updated.  I suppose in theory the PS3 could have an option to renew the license for all installed content, but it wouldn't be trivial.  If you want  that, you will have to petition for it on the PS.Blog.Share site (http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/).

GKP
Message 4 of 8 (1,933 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11353 posts

Jan 27, 2013

Automatic license renewal of older PS+ titles currently on your HDD has been fixed.  If a game shows as expired on the information screen, simply start it up while connected to the PSN and the license will automatically be extended to your current subscription end date.

Message 5 of 8 (1,925 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

Jan 27, 2013

I agree all of you, and this is what I am asking is anything currently being worked out so that the 100+ PS Plus games and content on my system and the few games that have expired can be checked in a function that would connect to the network and update all licenses according to my current Plus status.

If a person has 2 systems there would be a lot of games to have to go through just to make all of the plus content on a 250gb and 500gb HDD up to date. I only have this problem when my internet is out but in the long run it keeps friends and family and myself from enjoying the content since we will then have to just pick a game that we can play.

In my opinion I just think the ability of automatic updates of license renewals included with Plus accounts could be easily added. or mabey just not possible.

Message 6 of 8 (1,917 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10595 posts

Jan 28, 2013
There have been no announcements of any such feature, It is currently unknown if there will ever be a feature, it`s been like that since plus started, so who knows if at some point they will change it. Plus is always improving and changing.
Message 7 of 8 (1,907 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41713 posts

Jan 28, 2013

chaos_789 wrote:
There have been no announcements of any such feature, It is currently unknown if there will ever be a feature, it`s been like that since plus started, so who knows if at some point they will change it. Plus is always improving and changing.

Agreed, but personally I think they really do need to do something about the auto-updating thing, it's been as you said like this since day one.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 8 of 8 (1,901 Views)
0 Likes