Jun 23 2013
By: sncone First Son 3 posts

Error code 80029564....and the sad excuse for assistance from tech support.

4 replies 248 views Edited Jun 23, 2013

So we finally signed up for a PS+ account today. I was really excited because I've wanted to try XCOM for awhile now. After downloading the game we got an error message 14% into the install. So we deleted all the data reset the playstation, re-downloaded the whole game again and tried again. Same problem. So we called tech support, he walked us through resetting and rebuilding the database on the ps3 he said this was a common issue and should be resolved. We re-downloaded the game again and lo and behold the same error message at 14% complete on the install.

We called tech support back. They suggested we send the system in for repair for around 100 bucks or just go get a new one. Even though they couldn't guarantee this would actually solve anything. In the end we "requested" a refund on the ps+ membership seeing as we can't actually use it to download and play the games. We are now awaiting approval on the refund request and then will have to wait longer on the actual refund. . . because that seems fair....

I did a little looking on the forums here and found many people had a similar issue and no solution. This is very disheartening. I've been a Playstation fan since the beginning. I feel like this may be the end of my relationship with Sony if this is the way they treat their loyal supporters. I guess I'll go fish out my old N64.

Message 1 of 5 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1623 posts

Re: Error code 80029564....and the sad excuse for assistance from tech support.

Jun 23, 2013

sncone wrote:

So we finally signed up for a PS+ account today. I was really excited because I've wanted to try XCOM for awhile now. After downloading the game we got an error message 14% into the install. So we deleted all the data reset the playstation, re-downloaded the whole game again and tried again. Same problem. So we called tech support, he walked us through resetting and rebuilding the database on the ps3 he said this was a common issue and should be resolved. We re-downloaded the game again and lo and behold the same error message at 14% complete on the install.

We called tech support back. They suggested we send the system in for repair for around 100 bucks or just go get a new one. Even though they couldn't guarantee this would actually solve anything. In the end we "requested" a refund on the ps+ membership seeing as we can't actually use it to download and play the games. We are now awaiting approval on the refund request and then will have to wait longer on the actual refund. . . because that seems fair....

I did a little looking on the forums here and found many people had a similar issue and no solution. This is very disheartening. I've been a Playstation fan since the beginning. I feel like this may be the end of my relationship with Sony if this is the way they treat their loyal supporters. I guess I'll go fish out my old N64.

sweeet do you have WCW vs NWO still one of my all time favs

Message 2 of 5 (239 Views)
MVP Support
28678 posts

Jun 23, 2013

This is a known issue.  The Playstation Store download protocol does not detect and correct errors during the download.  It assumes that your Internet connection is error free, which a home Internet connection should be generally.  Any data corruption that occurs during the download is not detected until the software is installed.  Your Internet connection is not error free.  You should probably contact your ISP about that.  It could be a problem with the wiring in or around your house.  PCs and mobile devices do not assume an error free connection, so they generally have measures in place to detect and correct errors in downloaded files.  You won't notice minor data errors on these other devices.  Sony is not responsible for your ability to download content that you purchase in the Playstation Store, so you are not entitled to a refund, but you might receive one.  It is decided on a case by case basis. This is not likely to be a problem with your console, or the System software.  It is probably a network problem, that the System software does not expect or compensate for.

GKP
Message 3 of 5 (229 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 24, 2013

Yes I'm familiar with your cookie cutter reply to this issue. I have read the forum posts from others with the same issue, and read your same reply there. What really upset me is the assistance I received from tech support. Their best solution was for me to go buy a new PS3 and that wouldn't even solve the issue. You yourself said its a network problem with the internet not the hardware of the Playstation. Regardless if you purchase something and do not actually receive anything I feel you are entitled to a refund and that is what happened here. I purchased access to digital content that I was unable to use. I am hopeful Sony will at least agree with that and issue one. I was very unhappy with the customer service I received and am hoping they will make it right financially at least.

Message 4 of 5 (209 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 24, 2013
YES!! WCW vs NWO one of the best....but I was thinking more Gauntlet...lol best game ever!!!
Message 5 of 5 (208 Views)
0 Likes