Feb 05 2011
By: amymj5 First Son 2 posts

Chat Required for Little Big Planet 2 Online?

[ Edited ]
8 replies 2387 views Edited Jan 25, 2016

I am the parent of two children under 10 years old, both of whom have PSN subaccounts. I have disabled chat due to their age. They have Little Big Planet and have enjoyed creating and playing online levels and playing with friends online.

We recently purchased Little Big Planet 2, but when my kids try to access online levels, they get the error: "Online content is disabled on your Playstation Network account due to chat restrictions." It seems absurd to me that the game creators have denied a significant portion of the content of this game to younger users (content that was available in LBP1) with nothing in the documentation (either in the game packaging or on the website) indicate that this is the case. I have tried contacting the makers of LBP2. I sent a message but received no answer. The LBP website offers no support other than an FAQ (which does not address this problem) and a link to Sony's customer service, which referred me here.

Is there any way that I can confirm whether this is a bug or a feature? If it is a bug, does anyone know if there a workaround (other than turning on chat)? (Or am I just, as I think I am, screwed out of this content?) Thanks for any help or guidance.

MOD EDIT: Moved from PlayStation® General Forum. -minako85v
Message 1 of 9 (2,387 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Chat Required for Little Big Planet 2 Online?

Feb 6, 2011

My daughter has the same issue, and she is also able to play online levels in the original LBP. What gives? Just disable the chat, but not the ability to play the online levels. She doesn't want to use my account because she has customized her sackboy.

Message 2 of 9 (2,387 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 14, 2011

I was able to get an answer from Media Molecule here:

http://getsatisfaction.com/littlebigplanet/topics/chat_required_to_access_online_content_in_lbp2

They said: "This is a feature. It was required by Sony that we have this even though it was not in LBP1

The reasoning apparently is that LBP2 levels may have any number of offensive items (recorded dialogue/text/stickers/models) without even considering possible offenses caused by chatting.

I am sorry that this was not included in the documentation. It seems unlikely that Sony stance on this would change and it should have been made clear."

I think it's disappointing that Sony blocked the content altogether rather than having a warning (like many other games) that online content is unrated and possibly offensive and then letting parents decide whether or not to give access to the content with or without chat.

Message 3 of 9 (2,387 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Feb 14, 2011

enable chat, plug a headset in and mute it or put it somewhere you wont hear.

Then you can play all the level.

Message 4 of 9 (2,387 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 8, 2011

Way to go, Sony. Throw the baby out with the bath water.

Why not enable more parental controls? Is the system that "only does everything" not advanced enough to do some on-the-fly content filtering?

If you have standards enough to know that there might be some offensive text and/or recordings/stickers, and you don't want it in your game rated E for everyone, let users police it and report it.

How about you just replace the text for known offensive terms. You can replace them with #$%*&(^%.

How about letting parents turn off voice recordings, or user-created stickers/items. Lets just see how much of "everything" this system can really do!

Message 5 of 9 (2,387 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 10, 2011

Since this is the official Sony forum, I would like to register my dissatisfaction with Sony's choice, and hope that they would reconsider.

This "feature" forces parents who want/trust their kids to play community levels to then also be force to deal with the far less controllable chat issues.

People can easily identify a level that is inappropriate, and not go back (the community might even tag it as offensive).  But with chat, the offense could come anywhere and at any time.  A kid could be playing a story level online, and have someone with inappropriate chat.  And if there are a number of people playing, it could be difficult to identify the offender, and add them to some "disallowed" list (for your account).

Message 6 of 9 (2,387 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

Apr 2, 2011

i have the same problem. and i'm 13,  i made a master account not knowing that i disabled chat. all i need is "how to enable my chat" is it with a headset or what? help me!!!

Message 7 of 9 (2,387 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 25, 2016

cant get in another persons pod thanks

Message 8 of 9 (339 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
766 posts

Jan 26, 2016

Please make sure a thread is current/active before responding and necrobumping which is against the forum rules. This thread is now locked - MooMaker

Message 9 of 9 (315 Views)
0 Likes