Jul 09 2013
By: AssKickeRJr First Son 3 posts

Charge on Free Games

[ Edited ]
8 replies 167 views Edited Jul 9, 2013

Hi,

Just 2 days ago I joined PS community and purchased Plus membership for 1 year. Yesterday I downloaded Battlefield 3 for free, then I wanted to download Demon Souls as well but I was charged even though it was written Free ! After that I wanted to try if there is a Free Game Limit to download, I downloaded Uncharted 3 and I wasn't charged for it.

It seems like it was just a one time technical issue or something. I contacted Live Support but they told me to contact the one in my Country ( I live in Poland but I'm a foreigner, don't speak the local language ). I sent a mail but haven't gotten any answer..

Can anyone help me on this ? Show me a way to contact relevant people/department to solve my issue ?

Thnks in advance

Message 1 of 9 (167 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39433 posts

Re: Charge on Free Games

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

AssKickeRJr wrote:

Hi,

Just 2 days ago I joined PS community and purchased Plus membership for 1 year. Yesterday I downloaded Battlefield 3 for free, then I wanted to download Demon Souls as well but I was charged even though it was written Free ! After that I wanted to try if there is a Free Game Limit to download, I downloaded Uncharted 3 and I wasn't charged for it.

It seems like it was just a one time technical issue or something. I contacted Live Support but they told me to contact the one in my Country ( I live in Poland but I'm a foreigner, don't speak the local language ). I sent a mail but haven't gotten any answer..

Can anyone help me on this ? Show me a way to contact relevant people/department to solve my issue ?

Thnks in advance

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

The store is till in the process of updating & any purchases should be put off until it is fuly updated.

Customer support for Poland will be based in the UK.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 9 (126 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28740 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

The games in the Instant Game Collection are different for each region.  This web site is for region 1 (USA and Canada). The games that are free here are not necessarily the same ones that are free in Poland.  You need to look at the PSN and SEN web sites for the country that your PSN account is registered in.  Not just any playstation.com web site.  Demon's Souls was in the Instant Game Collection here, but it isn't any more.  If you haven't already downloaded it, then you missed it.

GKP
Message 3 of 9 (118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 10, 2013

I checked Instant Game Collection for my region, both in website and PSN. Besides when I was making the purchase it was written Free on the game ( If you check my region, they are still on the list so that's not the case ). Only after information from my bank I was able to realise I was charged and I stopped even downloading the game.

@BRIT-KO

I opened a topic on UK forum, hopefully I can get something there. If not, I'll be bothering you guys Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9 (112 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28740 posts

Jul 10, 2013

You were advised that you were being charged during the checkout process.  You just didn't read the checkout screen, because you believed that the game was free before you purchased it.  If it isn't listed with a price of $0.00 in the shopping cart, then it isn't free.  It is your responsibility to not click the Purchase button if the item doesn't have the price that you expected to pay.

GKP
Message 5 of 9 (109 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 10, 2013

This is what I am trying to explain, it was written FREE !

Plus even if it was the case you mentioned, Sony shouldn't be charging users for the items that are on the FREE list for the month ! I am pretty surprised with this mindset of yours. In PayPay for instance if I claim an Unauthorised Transaction they immediately refund the amount and then proceed with invastigation. Surprisingly here I am blamed when Sony charged me for something written FREE all over the place and I can't even get an answer from Customer Support

Message 6 of 9 (106 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28740 posts

Jul 10, 2013

Customer support does not monitor this forum, or provide support via forum.  If you want to talk to customer support, you have to do it by phone or live chat, during business hours (https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options). As I explained, it is entirely possible that the price for the item was listed as free in the Store description when you added it to your cart during the Store update.  The listing in the Store does not matter.  The price that you agreed to pay is the price that was in the shopping cart.  You will likely have a hard time convincing customer support that you were charged a different price than the one in the shopping cart,  but you have nothing to lose by trying in the morning.

GKP
Message 7 of 9 (101 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 10, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

Customer support does not monitor this forum, or provide support via forum.  If you want to talk to customer suppand ort, you have to do it by phone or live chat, during business hours (http://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options). As I explained, it is entirely possible that the price for the item was listed as free in the Store description when you added it to your cart during the Store update.  The listing in the Store does not matter.  The price that you agreed to pay is the price that was in the shopping cart.  You will likely have a hard time convincing customer support that you were charged a different price than the one in the shopping cart,  but you have nothing to lose by trying in the morning.

The thing is the listing price in the store DOES matter. If I went to a local store and an item was marked at a discounted price, and when the checkout person rang it up it was at a non-discounted price, they'd have to either honor the listed price or issue a refund. There are laws against false advertising whether purposeful or by accident. 

Message 8 of 9 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
28740 posts

Jul 11, 2013

That is a store policy. Not a law.  Pricing errors do occur, and contrary to popular belief, stores are not obligated to sell goods at any particular price. If the price that is listed is incorrect, the store can correct it at checkout, if it wants to.  If something is priced incorrectly in an ad or circular, the store can post a sign with the corrected price.  Even after checkout, most web merchants reserve the right to cancel orders that were checked out at the wrong price; and they have the right to do that. An advertisement is not a binding contract between the seller and any potential buyer.  The fact that something was published in an ad does not prevent the seller from changing the price later.  The fact that people believe it does, has no bearing on the actual law.

As far as the law is concerned, while people talk about false advertising all the time; actual false advertising lawsuits are very rare.  The reason is that they are very difficult to win in a court of law.  It isn't enough to show that the ad wasn't true.  You have to prove that the seller knew that the ad was not true when it was created, and created the ad as part of a deliberate effort to deceive consumers.  That certainly is not the case here, and even if it was, you couldn't prove it. 

GKP
Message 9 of 9 (83 Views)
0 Likes