Mar 06 2014
By: cruzadel First Son 6 posts

Cannot access my previous free PS+ games

9 replies 359 views Edited Mar 6, 2014

Hello. My previous PS+ subscription expired 2/17/14. I added a new 1-year PS+ subscription on 2/19/14. The expiration date shown on the Services List is correct at 2/19/15. However, now I am not able to access my old free PS+ games (those downloaded before the renewal). These are true on all my systems - PS3, PS4, PSV. All say they are expired when I try to start them. There are no problems with the new free games, I can download them fine.

Please help. With the limited PS4 games currently, I can't even play Contrast, Resogun and Don't Starve now. This is very frustrating.

Message 1 of 10 (359 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9984 posts

Re: Cannot access my previous free PS+ games

Mar 6, 2014

The dates don`t renew automaticly on already downloaded Plus content, usually starting the game will update the expiration date, if not start the download of the content again, then cancel the download and it should be updated to the correct date.

Message 2 of 10 (353 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 6, 2014

I already tried that but the game page wants to charge me the price for the game. Some are even gone from my download list, such as DMC -- it's nowhere in my DL list.

Message 3 of 10 (350 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 6, 2014

And I can't even start the game. It says that application is expired.

Message 4 of 10 (345 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9984 posts

Mar 6, 2014

I heard of an issue before that sometimes if your subscription expires some plus items didn`t come back, I am not sure there is a solution to this, at least I havn`t heard of one. The original game page should allow you to download it from there as well, but since it asks you to purchase it, it seems they have been removed from your list as well. My only suggestion would be that you contact Sony to see if there is anything they can do.

Message 5 of 10 (338 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
4420 posts

Mar 6, 2014

Hey there cruz. When you renewed your PS Plus subscription, how did you renew it? Was it done via auto-renewal through a credit card or was it through a PS Plus card? 

For your PS4 you could try restoring your licenses. To do this, go to Settings > PSN > Restore Licenses > Restore. 

J_W

Message 6 of 10 (330 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 6, 2014

Hi J_W,

Not thru auto-renew. I redeemed a code using PS4.

On PS4, I tried that Restore License at least 3 times. It does not work. I still cannot access Contrast, Resogun, Outlast, Don't Starve.

On the PS3, I checked. Not all are expired. Some I know were PS+ freebies don't have that Start/End dates info. I just randomly checked, examples of those expired are DMC, Sleeping Dogs, and Vita Soul Sacrifice and Dokuro.

My Services List show the following:

1) PS+ 3-month sub -- this was my expired sub with start date of 11/17/13. But the expiration date shows the current exp date of the 1-year sub which is 2/19/15.

2) Playstation Plus  -- this shows start date: 2/19/14 and end date: 2/19/15.

Message 7 of 10 (324 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
29365 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 7, 2014

Renewing your Plus subscription has no effect on the expiration date of games that were already installed, whether you do it before the subscription expires, or after it expires.  Use the Restore Licenses command will only work if the games are in your PSN Downloads List.  While for some time Sony has provided a grace period during which you could purchase a new Plus subscription after yours expired, and still keep your previous free games; that wasn't always the case. Sony never officially committed to such a grace period for free games (Sony does say that your data in online storage will be retained for six months after your subscription ends, although as far as I know Sony has never actually deleted any online storage data for any PSN account).  It is possible that something went wrong, or it is possible that the policy is changed.  Either way, it looks as though you need to contact Playstation customer support by phone or live chat (https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options) to resolve the issue.

GKP
Message 8 of 10 (304 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 7, 2014

I disagree with your statements.

Expiration dates should change once you renew your PS+. This was what was happening before. This issue only happened to me now.

As for keeping the free games, it is spelled out when you the download the free games, and also confirmed in the PS+ FAQs, that you get to play them again or re-download them as long as you are PS+.

And why would Sony delete them on my downloads list?

Anyway, I'll try the phone route again. I'm just not optimistic since it was no help the first time. This is very infuriating because I should get what I paid for without asking for it.

Message 9 of 10 (291 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Mar 11, 2014
I would also like to add that this has also happened to me. My Plus expired on March 7, I think. I renewed it today (March 10) and ALL my Plus games are gone from my download list. The only plus games I can play, are the ones currently in the IGC. I mean seriously, it's only been 3 days that my subscription was expired. Usually, if my subscription ends, and I renew it, all my Plus content jumps to the top of my download list. I used to hate it, because I had to scroll through like 100 items that I downloaded from 2 years ago. I'm talking about avatars, themes, and even PlayStation Minis! Remember those?! But now, I would do anything to have all my old Plus games in my download list again.
Message 10 of 10 (233 Views)
0 Likes