Apr 14 2013
By: Naesar First Son 2 posts

Buying games that ps plus gives for free

10 replies 3387 views Edited Apr 14, 2013
So I've now come across two problems with buying games that I had previously downloaded for free with plus. First was the game Outland. I had downloaded it a while back when it was free. It recently came on plus again at 60-70% off so I wanted to buy it to have it for good. But there wasn't a buy button in the store, just download. Even if I deleted it from my ps3.

Second issue was with the borderlands bundle. I had downloaded the first when it was free. Now I bought the bundle (1 and 2). But if you view borderlands one it still says it expires when my subscriptions is up.

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 11 (3,387 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator (Retired)
2673 posts

Re: Buying games that ps plus gives for free

Apr 14, 2013
Message 2 of 11 (3,366 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
29308 posts

Apr 15, 2013

The Playstation Store does not allow you to buy content that you already purchased, regardless of how you acquired it.  There is no exception in place for Plus subscribers to purchase content on sale, that they already received free as a subscription benefit.  If you want to purchase the content before your Plus subscription ends, you will have to create another PSN account with which to do that. That means that all of your Playstation Store purchases won't be under the same account, but that is your only option to take advantage of the discount.

The copy of Borderlands that you have installed will still expire when your current subscription ends.  If you play the game after that, while you are signed-in to PSN, then the license will be renewed with no expiration date.  You don't even have to play the game after it expires.  You could just download it again from the Playstation Store.  The game won't actually be downloaded again if it is already installed.  The license file will be replaced with a new one.   If you want to have the game show up with no expiration now, then you will have to delete the copy that is installed; and download the game again.

GKP
Message 3 of 11 (3,350 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Apr 15, 2013
For both games (borderlands 1 and Outland) I had deleted them from system before purchasing and downloading new copy. Still telling me borderlands is going to expire even though I own it.
Message 4 of 11 (3,343 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55180 posts

Apr 15, 2013

Naesar wrote:
For both games (borderlands 1 and Outland) I had deleted them from system before purchasing and downloading new copy. Still telling me borderlands is going to expire even though I own it.

http://us.playstation.com/support/contact_options/index.htm

Your best option is to use the link above and contact support.   If you paid for BL1 you should not be getting the message that it is going to expire, support can look at your transaction history and fix things for you if they are wrong.

Message 5 of 11 (3,338 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 24, 2013

I'm in the same boat. I contacted support, and there's nothing in place to handle this situation, which is almost mind-explodingly dumb in my opinion. So, if I get a free game with PS+, I can't ever buy that game from the PSN? Fortunately, I'm only out $1 with the Borderlands bundle, and I don't plan on losing PS+ any time soon, but I can't imagine the frustration of spending money on a game, only to find out that you don't "own" it.  I was just shocked that the purchase license doesn't just override the Plus license.

So, PSN was supposed to "refund" the Plus purchase, and last I checked on my system that hasn't gone through the system yet, and once it does I'm going to try to re-download the game under the bundle, but I don't think it's going to work as BL2 is at the top of my download list, while BL1 is further down in line at the point when I got the free PS+ version. They asked if I wanted to get the bundle refunded as well, and both I and the CSA agreed it wasn't worth losing the sale price for one game (the sale would've ended by the time they refunded the BL bundle). If the "refunded" PS+ purchase lets me use my bundle BL1, I'll chime back in. If I don't, that means I'm on the hunt for a used copy on disc and wrote the $1 off.

Message 6 of 11 (3,286 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
29308 posts

Apr 25, 2013

You can buy the game, when your Plus subscription ends.  If you already have the game, then why would you need to buy it?  The discount would only matter if you planned to stop subscribing to Plus relatively soon.  If you plan to remain a Plus subscriber for years, then in all likelihood the regular price of the game will have dropped to around what the sale price is now.  So you don't need to buy it now. 

GKP
Message 7 of 11 (3,278 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
559 posts

Apr 27, 2013
I just bought the 50% off Tomb raider pack that includes Quantum conundrum, but I already downloaded Quantum as a free plus game, does that mean that I won't be able to play it when my PS plus sub ends, even when I paid for it on the Tomb raider pack?
Message 8 of 11 (3,261 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
29308 posts

Apr 27, 2013

It shouldn't.  Check the expiration date on Quantum Conundrum in your downloads list. If it has no expiration date now, then it is the paid license for the game.

GKP
Message 9 of 11 (3,253 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Nov 7, 2013

Guess I'm having the same problem.

I had originally got Borderlands Free as a PS Plus member. Then I Bought the Borderlands 1 & 2 Bundle that was offered at a discounted price (but still paid cash for both). Now Borderlands 2 is fine but Borderlands 1 is expired and has been removed from my downloads list. All the expantions are still on the list (and say combo next to them) but the core game has been taken off and if I got to the game page it's asking me to buy it again. I am still a member of PS Plus and it has NEVER expired since I became a member at the start of the program. I'm really hoping this can be fixed by sony.

Message 10 of 11 (3,095 Views)
0 Likes