Jan 29 2014
By: Ataraximus First Son 2 posts

Buying games marked as purchased through PS+ while subscription is still active

2 replies 109 views Edited Jan 29, 2014

Hi,

I've been a PS+ member for a while, and early into my subscription I had downloaded the game Gravity Rush. As such, it is marked as purchased, has its own entry in my transaction history, and I can download it again at any time while my subscription is active. However, I recently redeemed a code for Unit 13 + Gravity Rush. At first glance, everything seemed fine; after I entered the code it displayed Gravity Rush, Unit 13, and then the Unit 13 online pass as the items being purchased. When I sign into my SEN account, I see Unit 13 and the online pass there with no expiration date. Perfect. When I look further back (because it had been marked as purchased earlier), I see Gravity Rush...but it still has the expiration date tied to it through PS+.

My question is: Why didn't it update? Is this something I'll need to contact support about? I thought I'd ask here before going that route.

Also, it might be worth noting that I can re-enter the code on my Vita, and it takes me to a download page for the two games. If that were always going to be an option, and enable me to download the game again at a future date, I'd be okay with it. The issue is that the code has an expiration date that far preceeds the end of my PS+ subscription, and I don't know if I'd simply be able to re-enter in the future and still have that option come up.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I've just tried to describe this as clearly as possible. Thanks in advance for any attempts at a solution!

Message 1 of 3 (109 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
34222 posts

Re: Buying games marked as purchased through PS+ while subscription is still active

Jan 30, 2014

This is frequently asked question.  The Playstation Store app will not allow you to purchase a game that is already in your downloads list.  It doesn't matter how it got there, or how the expiration dates compare.  Before the Playstation Store worked this way, you would be surprised how many people managed to buy the same content two, or even more times.  And they all expected refunds for the extra purchases, even though the Playstation Store has a no-refund policy.  Sony eventually changed the app to make this impossible.  A side effect of this is that if you purchase a game for free via Playstation Plus, then you can't buy a regular license for it until your Plus subscription ends; unless you do it under a different PSN account. If you purchase a bundle of items, then the app will just skip the ones that are already in your downloads list, and redeem the others.  In a perfect world (for you) the app would keep the one with the later expiration date, but for whatever reason, Sony did not implement it that way.  Maybe Sony wanted to avoid giving you incentives to not renew your Plus subscription.  

GKP
Message 2 of 3 (94 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Re: Buying games marked as purchased through PS+ while subscription is still active

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2014

I was aware that it was a common question when it came to matters regarding digital purchases through the store itself, but not with physical vouchers. Perfect world or not, a voucher such as this should update (or remove, in this case) my expiration date to the longest applicable duration, much in the same way that the expiration date on my PS+ subscription (an item that appears in the same transaction list as the games) updated when I added to it. A physical download voucher not updating the expiration date seems more like a small oversight than a means to avoid giving me incentives to not renew, especially since that would actually have the opposite effect.

Thanks for the response and clarification. I'll still be making an effort to resolve this further, given the nature of the transaction and the the fact that I'm not asking for a refund.

Edit: After contacting support, I believe this issue is resolved.

Message 3 of 3 (89 Views)
0 Likes