Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 16 2010
By: ExcludedRobin First Son 2 posts

Please help with question about FFXI

4 replies 14 views Edited Mar 16, 2010

I've recently bought a PS3 because I want to get FFXIV, but I've played FFXI for about a year but had to stop because my xbox ran out of room.  I want to pick it up again but If I bought the PS2 copy of the game would I be able to play the expansions on my PS3?  Would I have to download the content from SE?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Message 1 of 5 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

Re: Please help with question about FFXI

Mar 17, 2010
You'd first have to make sure you have the PS3 60/80GB models that are able to run PS2 games. Beyond that, you would have to hunt down the most recent FFXI Collection disc (I don't think they made an Ultimate Collection for PS2 - the one with WotG on it was the last one...?). If you got the WotG Collection disc for PS2, that would allow you to access all of the expanded areas whether you have already paid for them on your Xbox or not. Ultimately, while the PS2 version seems to run a tad better than the XB360 one, I'd still suggest grabbing the Ultimate Collection for the PC since that will always be the better version to grab (also won't suck up a massive chunk of the PS3's HDD). Be prepared for a good bit of patch-downloading if you do install the game again.

Message 2 of 5 (14 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 17, 2010

Thanks I might just do that while I do have a Backwards compatible 60 GB hard drive I might just go with the pc version from steam I didn't think my pc could run it but I just looked on systemrequirementslab.com and my computer meets more then the recommended specs. I would have liked to play it on my television though I hate sitting at my computer for to long, oh well.

Message 3 of 5 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Mar 19, 2010

I believe you only need to get the game installed and it will download everything you need to play bassed on the content IDs registered to your account.

But yeah, even a very low end PC (these days) can run FFXI flawlessly. The PS2 is 10 years old after all, and it was by no means cutting edge when it was released.

You can always hook your computer up to your TV if it has a VGA port.

Message 4 of 5 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

Mar 26, 2010
Most of the recent PCs with Windows 7 and a lot of newer graphic cards have DVI/HDMI output on the back of them - I have one of two HDMI cables running out the back of mine to the TV just like the PS3's. In the past, I've tinkered around with installing expansions. Around the time they put out the original WotG discs, I noticed that POL would not let my other systems access the WotG content, even if my PC had it installed (I needed to buy the PS2 and XB360 discs). The PS2 and XB360 actually had to update twice - once when I was lacking the WotG disc so that I could still make use of new features in older areas, and again after I installed the new expansions......wasn't a fun thing to wait through double the amount of patching. Also, I believe the only thing that POL offers is registry codes for expansions in case you get a pre-owned disc where the code has already been used. I don't know if they've changed it recently, but even if they did, a POL installer would still be needed for the PS2....and I recall the only places to get that being one of the Collection discs, or the original POL installer that came with the PS2 HDD. Ultimately, the PS2 version will look less attractive than the PC one due to the font and menu setup that it uses.

Message 5 of 5 (14 Views)
0 Likes