Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 01 2008
By: P3RF3CT_GAM3R Hekseville Citizen 429 posts

Just picked up FFXI today (05/31/08/) -- Need input.

12 replies 521 views Edited Jun 1, 2008

Hello,

I went to Best Buy today to get my daughter a new cell phone, and I ended up also coming home with FFXI (2008 version with 4 expansions).  It was $29.99.   I beta tested and played Sony's Everquest Online Adventure for a few years, and I enjoyed it a lot.  Really only stopped playing because of the Mrs to be honest.  But I've been out of that game for so long I thought if I were going to start over, it would have to be with a new MMORPG, like EQII for PS3 or WoW on PS3 via a miraculous Linux set-up, but since it looks like I'll be waiting for awhile for those PC only MMOs, I thought I'd give Final Fantasy a try.

Now, I still own FFVII, FFX and FFXII, and the movies, lol, big time Final Fantasy Fan, but I fill a little bit intimidated starting out as a new guy on a game that has been out for so many years.  As a former guild master in the other MMORPG I played, I know how much time and effort people put into their characters.  I've seen people start completely over after reaching the end-game because they didn't 'build" their character just right for themselves or what the guild needed.

So I have a few questions (I am also checking the other final fantasy forums like Allakhazam and KillingIfrit).

1.  My main on EQOA was a Wizard, I think I will stick to this.  I always liked playing the "good guy" in games, so at first I was thinking White Mage, but after reading a little, it seems that White is more of a healer, Black more of the damage dealer, and Red Mage a little of both but probably not as good as the others in their specialties.   Is this correct?  And what would you recommend as my job classes?  I want to be a good damage dealer, but I don't want to die at just the thought of being hit.

2.  What server should I start on, not even sure if I get to pick or if I can change later. 

3.  Are their good guilds out there that play a lot that will take in someone who has experience in an MMORPG but could use help starting out in this new game?

4.  Finding groups I hear may be difficult at the lower levels, what steps can I take to either make sure I can get groups, and/or is it possible to succesfully solo my way through the first 20 levels or so?

Thanks for all of your help and if you have suggestions, tips, recommendations other than what I have asked for, feel free to mention them.

Later,

Underground Member since 1998

Get your Portable ID!

Message 1 of 13 (521 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Re: Just picked up FFXI today (05/31/08/) -- Need input.

Jun 1, 2008
i just started playing this past week or so as well im on the Migardsormr server and my name in game is Erumatalis. 
Message 2 of 13 (521 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
762 posts

Jun 1, 2008

Spend some time researching jobs & sub jobs on this site, its the best one out there:-

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/

If you have the perserverance Red Mage / Ninja is one of the best jobs in the game, it will cost a boatload of gil though, I took mine to 45 before I quit, my favourite job however was Dragoon, just all around fun ! I recomend leveling a RDM to 30 so you will be able to unlock all the relevant new jobs, sneak & invisibility are invaluable. 

Message 3 of 13 (521 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
638 posts

Jun 2, 2008

Nostrodamus wrote:

Hello,

I went to Best Buy today to get my daughter a new cell phone, and I ended up also coming home with FFXI (2008 version with 4 expansions).  It was $29.99.   I beta tested and played Sony's Everquest Online Adventure for a few years, and I enjoyed it a lot.  Really only stopped playing because of the Mrs to be honest.  But I've been out of that game for so long I thought if I were going to start over, it would have to be with a new MMORPG, like EQII for PS3 or WoW on PS3 via a miraculous Linux set-up, but since it looks like I'll be waiting for awhile for those PC only MMOs, I thought I'd give Final Fantasy a try.

Now, I still own FFVII, FFX and FFXII, and the movies, lol, big time Final Fantasy Fan, but I fill a little bit intimidated starting out as a new guy on a game that has been out for so many years.  As a former guild master in the other MMORPG I played, I know how much time and effort people put into their characters.  I've seen people start completely over after reaching the end-game because they didn't 'build" their character just right for themselves or what the guild needed.

So I have a few questions (I am also checking the other final fantasy forums like Allakhazam and KillingIfrit).

1.  My main on EQOA was a Wizard, I think I will stick to this.  I always liked playing the "good guy" in games, so at first I was thinking White Mage, but after reading a little, it seems that White is more of a healer, Black more of the damage dealer, and Red Mage a little of both but probably not as good as the others in their specialties.   Is this correct?  And what would you recommend as my job classes?  I want to be a good damage dealer, but I don't want to die at just the thought of being hit.

2.  What server should I start on, not even sure if I get to pick or if I can change later. 

3.  Are their good guilds out there that play a lot that will take in someone who has experience in an MMORPG but could use help starting out in this new game?

4.  Finding groups I hear may be difficult at the lower levels, what steps can I take to either make sure I can get groups, and/or is it possible to succesfully solo my way through the first 20 levels or so?

Thanks for all of your help and if you have suggestions, tips, recommendations other than what I have asked for, feel free to mention them.

Later,

1 EQOA is a different beastie.  It's what I would term an MMO "Super light".  You have over 20+ jobs to pick from in this game but you can only pick six at the start: Warrior, Monk, Thief, and the three mages you've mentioned.  Unlike other games of this type you can swap jobs whenever you want withot starting over.  There are no real penitlies for swapping and the game keeps track of what level you gain for each job...the thing is they all start on lvl 1.    If you want to play versitile mage/wizard I sugesst you look at Schollar which was just added in the Wings of the Goddess expansion(you have to get one job to lvl 30 to unlock it).  It's a neat job XD

2. you can request a world trasfer for a fee, but only every 90 days.  Most servers are about the same...but odin is overcrowded so I would not go there XD  Me?  I play on Midgardsomr but that's because my friends are there...

3. Linksehlls can be helpfull...or just a plain old chat group.  The big engame shells are the ones with the most events ^^

4. Most mele jobs and probabaly make 20 solo fairly easily but mages will need help somewhere above lvl 10.  This game is not that solo-friendly and you'll be partying most of the way to 75....unless you play beastmaster!

if you wana play mage...well here are the options:

White mage- defacto healer

Black mage- magical DD

Read mage- can do black and White magic but mostly they end up healing in this game.  Also has some unused mele ability...

Advanced/unlockable jobs:

Schollar- a jack of all trades mage that can swap between black mage mode and white mage mode using two abilites.

Bard- uses songs of various types to support the party.  Usually invited alot due to people liking the songs alot!

Dancer- part mele and part healer...uses TP(FFXI limit system) to do dances to heal and support the party...

Blue Mage- usues the monster's magic spell and other abilites against them.  Abilites must be learned from monsters and then equiped...

Message Edited by Shadow_Hunter on 06-02-2008 12:55 PM
Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
(have fun MMO players ^^)

Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr/Quetzalcoatl
Message 4 of 13 (521 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
156 posts

Jun 3, 2008

Nibe wrote:

Any server is fine expect for Hades, and Remora. 

Just wondering since i play in Hades, whats wrong with it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Lets ask Snoop if he would buy any other system besides a PS3

Message 5 of 13 (521 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
429 posts

Jun 3, 2008

Thanks for the advice and comments.

I chose the Fenrir server, if I am spelling it correctly.  I had planed on being a mage before I got the game as I have experience playing the "Wizard" class.   As soon as I read about scholar on another board I decided that was the route I would take.   So, I am currently a level 5 Black Mage...lol, I got about 4 spells so far, Stone, Water (which I haven't used yet as I was too tired after I bought it), Bind and Poison.  I haven't done any missions or quest yet, this is kind of disappointing as with the other game I played, doing quest 1 through 5 made you kind of familiar with certain things, like talking to npcs, buying/selling/trading, basics of engaging monsters and using spells etc.  But, the kind people on the server made it more bearable to learn the basics.

I must say there have been some really helpful people.  Like to give a shout out to Keldon who helped me a great deal with some basics and monster killing.  And then a big shout out to Beanon, another guy who I tried to group with because I thought he was level 3, turns out he is level 30 something, has 11 Jobs etc....anyway, even though I asked for help thinking he was my level, he still chilled with me for a few hours to give me tips and pointers and save by @ss when I was in trouble.

This is one of the reasons I loved EQoA, especially in the beginning, it seemed like lots of people were always willing to help.  This game has been out almost 6 years and I have to say I am impressed at the community on Fenrir server so far.

Later......   Xhibit, BlK Mage, Fenrir, FFXI

Underground Member since 1998

Get your Portable ID!

Message 6 of 13 (521 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5417 posts

Jun 4, 2008
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Read it for any information you need.

Race doesn't really matter that much nowadays. Pick one you like the look of. Besides the lack of HP for a taru to be a melee job, or the lack of MP for a galka to be a mage job, you won't really have to worry much, and at later levels you can manage those lack of stats with extra equipment. Any character can be every job in the game, and can change jobs pretty much at will, so just find a job and race you like.
My PlayStation2 HDD guide.: http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32

PS2 Model Number and Importing Guide
PS2 HDD Forum (archived)
Message 7 of 13 (521 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
166 posts

Jun 12, 2008

heyitsgonzo wrote:

Nibe wrote:

Lol nice sig but ps3 ISNT the only system i would buy lol its more on the bottom of my "Things to buy list" 

Free userbars
Free userbars
Message 8 of 13 (521 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
432 posts

Jun 13, 2008

Nostrodamus wrote:

Thanks for the advice and comments.

I chose the Fenrir server, if I am spelling it correctly.  I had planed on being a mage before I got the game as I have experience playing the "Wizard" class.   As soon as I read about scholar on another board I decided that was the route I would take.   So, I am currently a level 5 Black Mage...lol, I got about 4 spells so far, Stone, Water (which I haven't used yet as I was too tired after I bought it), Bind and Poison.  I haven't done any missions or quest yet, this is kind of disappointing as with the other game I played, doing quest 1 through 5 made you kind of familiar with certain things, like talking to npcs, buying/selling/trading, basics of engaging monsters and using spells etc.  But, the kind people on the server made it more bearable to learn the basics.

I must say there have been some really helpful people.  Like to give a shout out to Keldon who helped me a great deal with some basics and monster killing.  And then a big shout out to Beanon, another guy who I tried to group with because I thought he was level 3, turns out he is level 30 something, has 11 Jobs etc....anyway, even though I asked for help thinking he was my level, he still chilled with me for a few hours to give me tips and pointers and save by @ss when I was in trouble.

This is one of the reasons I loved EQoA, especially in the beginning, it seemed like lots of people were always willing to help.  This game has been out almost 6 years and I have to say I am impressed at the community on Fenrir server so far.

Later......   Xhibit, BlK Mage, Fenrir, FFXI

Hey Nos,

I'm new on the Fenrir server too. Level 5 monk as of last night. My name is Talisker, keep an eye out for me, we'll group after lvl 10 and rip **bleep** up.

Message 9 of 13 (521 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1189 posts

Jun 15, 2008

heyitsgonzo wrote:

Nibe wrote:

I used to play on hades too, same name as my forum name. The server is basically the ****hole from when emigration first opened to the 3 new servers, all the scum went from the old worlds to the new ones to get away from their bad reps. 

Message 10 of 13 (521 Views)
0 Likes