Uncharted Territory
1504 posts

Re: Installing Final Fantasy 11 on PS3

Nov 3, 2008

Darkslayer24 wrote:
well I got the ps3 80 gig that does have backwards compatibility, its just with all the speculations on the game itself I will come back and post wheater it works or not

Well, as long as you have a PS3 that is backwards compatable you are just:

• A short PS3 update (if you haven't already updated)
  • A short PSN Store download (PS2 System Data)
  • A short install (PS2 System Data again)
  • A medium sized install (PlayOnline)
  • A small update (PlayOnline again)
  • A LARGE install (FFXI + expansions)
  • A medium sized update (FFXI + expansions again)

away from playing.

Message 21 of 56 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5417 posts

Nov 4, 2008

StarDuster wrote:

Darkslayer24 wrote:
I just bought the FFIX Online for PS2 so that I could play it on my ps3. Now Ive heard different rumors on wheater this software works on my PS3 so that I may play online. Some say Yes others Say No, The people that said Yes said that, Depending on if you could get playstation online to install to the Hd and then install the disc like Normal. There were other people that stated that when they Put the disc in to install it into the ps3, they get a black error and it comes back saiding that the game is not compatible with the PS3. That Sony needed a patch to fix the Problem and that was released and fixed the problem. Other Say just say Yes. Now Ive wanted to test this theroy on whether it would work or not on my ps3 so I ordered the collection 2008 edition for ps2 with expitdied shipping.. (Sorry dont know how to spell ) lol and see if it works or not. If it doesnt I will sell the copy on Ebay. and They just released another expanison to the game last year 2007 for the PS2 so its not going to die off, Im sure even tho I havent tested as of yet.. that it will work on my PS3. I will report back when I get it and if It works.... to save people Time and Money, because believe you me, Theres no sense in getting something that May Or Not work on your PS3... let someone test it and see whats REALLY going on... ha alright with that Im out!

Well, it's a matter of what version of the PS3 you got. In short, if your PS3 will play PS2 games (ala backwards compatability) it will play Final Fantasy XI. Because there is many Playstation 3 SKU's floating around out there, it's impossible to say a definite "yes" or a definite "no" on the matter -- It all depends on which PS3 SKU you have.

It's not just that. A lot of the information he is quoting is from late 2007, before Sony patched the PS3 to support the WotG and 2008 Collection discs. If he was paying attention to the dates attached to the forum posts he was reading, he'd see there hasn't been trouble getting the game to work on a PS2-compatible PS3 model since December of 2007. All of the problems stemmed from the PS3 not recognizing the new discs as being allowed to have HDD emulation access, since they were new discs. Sony has to add a game to the list for it to be allowed to use the PS3's HDD as a PS2 HDD, otherwise the game says it is incompatible. As new PS2 software with HDD support is very rare, even in Japan now, Sony doesn't add new discs to the list as soon as they come out. The next FFXI expansion will likely have the same trouble for at least a few days.
My PlayStation2 HDD guide.: http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32

PS2 Model Number and Importing Guide
PS2 HDD Forum (archived)
Message 22 of 56 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1504 posts

Nov 4, 2008

bungiefan wrote:

It's not just that. A lot of the information he is quoting is from late 2007, before Sony patched the PS3 to support the WotG and 2008 Collection discs. If he was paying attention to the dates attached to the forum posts he was reading, he'd see there hasn't been trouble getting the game to work on a PS2-compatible PS3 model since December of 2007. All of the problems stemmed from the PS3 not recognizing the new discs as being allowed to have HDD emulation access, since they were new discs. Sony has to add a game to the list for it to be allowed to use the PS3's HDD as a PS2 HDD, otherwise the game says it is incompatible. As new PS2 software with HDD support is very rare, even in Japan now, Sony doesn't add new discs to the list as soon as they come out. The next FFXI expansion will likely have the same trouble for at least a few days.

Thats true. I probably should have mentioned that the the old not being able to install the Vana'diel 2008 Collection was fixed. I was hung up on backwards compatability, as a staggering ammount of people still fail to realize it's function. I get questioned about every couple of days wondering why "X" game won't play...

Anyway, I remember WotG came out around my birthday... Geez, I can't believe it's been out for a year already in a few short weeks.

Message 23 of 56 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
88 posts

Nov 7, 2008
Well I just wanted to put in here that I just received FF XI and its Installing amazingly on my ps3. After patching and Registering (which was tedious, because I dident have a keyboard haha) Its Installing the game Data now, So at least its proof that it works just make sure to get the 80 gig or 40 gig if that has backward compatiblity and you dl the ps2 Data from the store youll be all set. I just hope that they remake this MMO for the PS3, Id get that most def a Final Fantasy Game online that just rocks!!
Power to the System!
Derrick
PSN : Darkslayer24

Get Paid to : http://www.squidoo.com/get-paid-for-using-your-iphone
Message 24 of 56 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1504 posts

Nov 7, 2008

Darkslayer24 wrote:
Well I just wanted to put in here that I just received FF XI and its Installing amazingly on my ps3. After patching and Registering (which was tedious, because I dident have a keyboard haha) Its Installing the game Data now, So at least its proof that it works just make sure to get the 80 gig or 40 gig if that has backward compatiblity and you dl the ps2 Data from the store youll be all set. I just hope that they remake this MMO for the PS3, Id get that most def a Final Fantasy Game online that just rocks!!

None of the 40GB consoles have backwards compatability.

Other than that, welcome to FFXI! Or... at least the installing part, lol. Do yourself a favor though, buy a keyboard asap. 

Message 25 of 56 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
88 posts

Nov 7, 2008
ha ha Thanks Star, Im going to buy the PS3 Keyboard when it comes out, Im just now install the game data, lol takes 1 hour that is def a time consumer. Ill be online for that for a bit before errands. Two questions though, whenever I play a game on my PS3 whether is ps1,ps2. or ps3 does it show up what game Im playing under my name? I know it does for PS3 but  Im not sure about the others :smileywink: Also as far as FF XI if for some reason I stop playing and pick up the game at a later time will I still have all my characters and stuff or will I have to redue it all. Im assuming they store everything on a server so that way its Infinite
Message Edited by Darkslayer24 on 11-07-2008 02:15 PM
Power to the System!
Derrick

Message 26 of 56 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1504 posts

Nov 7, 2008

Darkslayer24 wrote:
ha ha Thanks Star, Im going to buy the PS3 Keyboard when it comes out, Im just now install the game data, lol takes 1 hour that is def a time consumer. Ill be online for that for a bit before errands. Two questions though, whenever I play a game on my PS3 whether is ps1,ps2. or ps3 does it show up what game Im playing under my name? I know it does for PS3 but  Im not sure about the others :smileywink: Also as far as FF XI if for some reason I stop playing and pick up the game at a later time will I still have all my characters and stuff or will I have to redue it all. Im assuming they store everything on a server so that way its Infinite
Message Edited by Darkslayer24 on 11-07-2008 02:15 PM

Hmm... be careful. If I'm not mistaken, the PS3 Keyboard is bluetooth. I'm almost positive that bluetooth devies (other than controller obviously) are not supported by any PS2/PS1 games. I know this used to be the case; if it has been fixed sinc, forgive me. Again, it used to be the case that when playing PS2/PS1 games PSN would not show you as online. I do not know if this is still the case or not. Neither of these two have ever really concerned me as I use a wireless (but not bluetooth) keyboard and I don't look at my friends list often besides when I rarely recieve a message or want to send someone else one.

Yeah... I don't really utilize my friends list. I have most of them on an Instant Messenger on PC anyway lol.

Edit:

Woops, missed your last question. Your character is stored on SE's server, but not technically indefinetly. They haven't been really enforcing character expirations for awhile however...

Message Edited by StarDuster on 11-07-2008 05:06 PM
Message 27 of 56 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
88 posts

Nov 7, 2008
haha oh boy, yeah I was just reading the manual  and it seems only for a temporary time we can reactivate the content Ids and the characters assosiated with them. I think that sucks because its just another way for SE to rope in more money, Greedy SOB's lol  anyways Ive got 30 days  free trial so lets see what happens.  I dont think Id be able to use my bluetooth  PS3 headset, Im not sure if they supporrt voice chat or not. Do you play Final Fantasy XI star? Im still waiting for all the files to finish downloading so  that might take something like 4 hours before I am able to get on and play. lol oh well lets hope for the best thanks for repling so promptly :smileyhappy:
Power to the System!
Derrick

Message 28 of 56 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1504 posts

Nov 8, 2008
Yeah, I play. I usually take a break every year around Thanksgiving. I have so much family stuff and traveling going on that it's hard to do anything really. Not to mention the massive amounts of other good games that are released around this time. I usually take in Sep./Oct. - Dec./Jan. playing the other games that I have missed from playing FFXI all the time. I have a bunch of titles to catch up on this year, last year I didn't get to play anything around this time as I spent all of my spare time with my grandmother in the hospital before she passed away.
Message 29 of 56 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
88 posts

Nov 8, 2008
oh man Im sorry to hear bout your grandma, you have my condolences.. on a brighter note take the time you need to do the things you can and avoid the things you can..  did you cancel your account all together when you stopped playing for a while or did you just keep it having been renewed?
Power to the System!
Derrick

Message 30 of 56 (379 Views)
0 Likes