Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1504 posts

Re: Installing FFXI on your PS3

Feb 1, 2010

Leibacher wrote:
I can't get the game to update. I already have have the pol installed and updated and ffxi installed but when I go to play it tells me I have to update. When I do I always get error message pol-1161. I had this same problem when updating the pol viewer but fixed it by reinstalling it. I tried reinstalling ffxi and checked my connection but nothing has worked so far. Does anyone know what is wrong or what to do? I have a 80 gb ps3 if thats any help.

1.) Make sure you have all the ports FFXI needs forwarded in your Router. POL-1161 is a general error usually related to a connection problem. On the PC version it can be related also to POL not recieiving correct privaledges to access system resources and the internet in general. But in your case, your on PS3, so it has to be port forwarding problems more than likely.

2.) Restart your modem, router, switches, etc. That your PS3 uses to connect to the internet. Certain models and brands can become overloaded on a port and completly shut that port off. Simply unplug the power adapter from the back of the device and leave it unpluged atleast 30 seconds, but up to 1 minute wouldn't hurt.

2.) Run a File Check from the POL menu. Sometimes files are damaged for various reasons and POL will not allow you to connect. However, Id say more than likely you should be looking to your Port Forwarding options, router, and ISP for your problems instead.

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 38 (424 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 2, 2010
I have tried unplugging my router and checking files. The files were fine and the router thing didn't work. I also tried port forwarding and that didn't work. It might have been the fact that I could't find the TCP and UDP ports for the ps2 vana'diel collection 2008 and used regular ps2 final fantasy xi ports instead. Does anyone know what the ports for the ps2 vc08 are. Thank you in advance.
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 38 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5417 posts

Feb 2, 2010
Why would the 2008 disc use different ports? It's the same program, just with more of the patches applied. FFXI is FFXI, regardless of install disc you used, and it all uses the same ports. If you already opened those ports, you might just be having trouble getting the PS3 to pass the network connection on to a PS2 program. I know some people that have had this problem, and it's either fixed itself or they've had no solution. Remember, the PS3 is trying to emulate a PS2 HDD and Network Adapter, and if you are using wireless, which the PS2 wasn't made to use, you may just be running into a problem with the PS3 trying to translate all the information to be the proper device as the game sees it.
My PlayStation2 HDD guide.: http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32

PS2 Model Number and Importing Guide
PS2 HDD Forum (archived)
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 38 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1504 posts

Feb 2, 2010

Leibacher wrote:
I have tried unplugging my router and checking files. The files were fine and the router thing didn't work. I also tried port forwarding and that didn't work. It might have been the fact that I could't find the TCP and UDP ports for the ps2 vana'diel collection 2008 and used regular ps2 final fantasy xi ports instead. Does anyone know what the ports for the ps2 vc08 are. Thank you in advance.

The Ports for FFXI are:

TCP: 25, 80, 110, 443, 50000-65535

Additional PS2 TCP Ports: 1024 - 65535

UPD: 50000 - 65535

Also, as Bungiefan stated, if you are trying to use wireless for FFXI on your PS3 -- do yourself a favor and don't. Use a wired connection instead, much simpler for PS2 games, especially FFXI, which can be picky.

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 38 (424 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 5, 2010
I have internet through satalite which requires a wireless router. I have tried all the ports you gave me and they didn't seem to work. I bought a cord and hooked my ps3 directly to the router only to get the same same message. Some one did suggest a proxy server. Would that help?
Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 38 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5417 posts

Feb 6, 2010
Your connection would be the problem. SE doesn't support wireless and sattelite internet connections. I had ClearWire for a year, and my PS2 version couldn't connect and log into the game on it. When SE found out that was my connection they ditched me for support, saying they don't support the game on such connections. You have to have a dial-up, cable modem, or DSL line wired into your house that you are connecting through. WiFi is supported if your router enables it, but the internet connection itself must be wired. Their console version is very intolerant of the packet bursting and latency on wireless and sattelite connections. The PC version may work for you since it uses the connection Windows manages, but the PS2 version won't work on that.
My PlayStation2 HDD guide.: http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32

PS2 Model Number and Importing Guide
PS2 HDD Forum (archived)
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 38 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1504 posts

Feb 6, 2010

bungiefan wrote:
Your connection would be the problem. SE doesn't support wireless and sattelite internet connections. I had ClearWire for a year, and my PS2 version couldn't connect and log into the game on it. When SE found out that was my connection they ditched me for support, saying they don't support the game on such connections. You have to have a dial-up, cable modem, or DSL line wired into your house that you are connecting through. WiFi is supported if your router enables it, but the internet connection itself must be wired. Their console version is very intolerant of the packet bursting and latency on wireless and sattelite connections. The PC version may work for you since it uses the connection Windows manages, but the PS2 version won't work on that.

Welp, Bungiefan sumed it up for you Leibacher. Even if satellite internet connections were supported, you are looking at some less than acceptable lag during gameplay. Where the download speed on these satellite connections is great, the upload speeds are mostly horrid. There is also the natural "relay" lag that satellite connections throw into the fold. For a game that relies heavily on your connection speed (any online game really), the relay lag is already a deal-breaker... but throw upload lag into the mix and you could really be looking into some problems regardless.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 38 (424 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 9, 2010

OK i got one for you guys. I have the CECHE01 80 gig model an the 2008 vanadiel collection. I've Installed the PS2 system data file, then installed the POL update ect.. but when i get to install the FFXI. It tells "An error occurred while reading special files." Now when i remove the PS2 system data file it installs till 30 minutes remaining an freezes there everytime. Help me out here guys i paid 80 bucks for this ps2 vanadiel online since thx to SE you cant buy them anymore. 

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 38 (424 Views)
0 Likes