Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 15 2009
By: Link37 Lombax Warrior 148 posts

FF XI and XIV Chat Questions

3 replies 31 views Edited Sep 15, 2009

So I havent played FF XI but I am planning on getting XIV. I know there was no voice chat in XI and they arent planning on having voice chat in XIV. So.

-Why do they not allow voice chat? That seems the easiest way to comunicate in the middle of a battle, or outside a battle for that matter.

-How much of a problem did this pose? If there was a problem at all.

-Did most players purchase and use a usb keyboard? Seems best option after voice chat.

Thanks in advance guys!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1504 posts

Re: FF XI and XIV Chat Questions

Sep 16, 2009

Owning a keyboard for Final Fantasy XI was pretty much mandatory. As it will be with FFXIV as well. There are plenty of third party applications that you can run if you have a pc handy for voice chat.

One of the main reasons FFXIV doesn't incorperate voice chat into the game is the fact that it's cross-language. Unlike other MMO's you are going to being playing with a diverse group of people who will not understand each others language. This is where SE's auto-translate feature comes into play.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (31 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 16, 2009
Voice chatting in most online games is a great thing, but in FFXI chatting between linkshells, parties, and whisper chatting would be chaos if voice chatting was enabled. I had many friends that didn't know english hardly at all with the auto-translator. After playing everyday and getting hooked on the game, text chatting becomes second nature. If you were to see how the translator accually works you would understand that text is the only way to go.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5417 posts

Sep 19, 2009
Seeing as the console versions of FFXI aren't so popular outside of Japan, so most people play on PC, which has a keyboard, keyboard chat is expected to be standard. Also, the servers are globally shared, and text is easier to machine-translate and easier to log. Computers have been using USB for a long time, and there's nothing special about them that makes them work or not with a PS2. You can just use one you already have, and if nothing else, generic ones are like $5-10.

Also, the game was made in 2002, and it was expected that many players would be on a 56K connection, which won't support voice chat well. The game is capped at 56K even for people playing on broadband. If you want voice chat, there are more private options you can manage yourself via TeamSpeak, Skype, or Ventrilo, in which you can decide who is allowed in the channel. General voice chat would be a bad idea and hard to manage with the number of people you may end up working with.
My PlayStation2 HDD guide.: http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32

PS2 Model Number and Importing Guide
PS2 HDD Forum (archived)
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (31 Views)
0 Likes