Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Survivor
2902 posts

Re: japanese FF XIII facts

Feb 21, 2010

Firebird93 wrote:

coffeerox wrote:
best selling in Japan for consoles isn't really impressive because they've given up console gaming.  Portable gaming is where it's at over there.  Look at Dragon Quest IX, it's sold 4.17 million copies. 1.75 mil is nothing compared to that.

One way to look at it is that nearly 50% of PS3 owners bought it in, what, 2 weeks? That's impressive. And I think that didn't keep into mind the PS3s that were purchased that week with the bundles, but I could be wrong about that. Then again, a whole lot of them probably bought a PS3 specifically for FFXIII, so...

But sales has nothing to do with the quality of the game.
Message 21 of 53 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2096 posts

Feb 21, 2010

Phantom11392 wrote:

Firebird93 wrote:

coffeerox wrote:
best selling in Japan for consoles isn't really impressive because they've given up console gaming.  Portable gaming is where it's at over there.  Look at Dragon Quest IX, it's sold 4.17 million copies. 1.75 mil is nothing compared to that.

One way to look at it is that nearly 50% of PS3 owners bought it in, what, 2 weeks? That's impressive. And I think that didn't keep into mind the PS3s that were purchased that week with the bundles, but I could be wrong about that. Then again, a whole lot of them probably bought a PS3 specifically for FFXIII, so...

But sales has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

So why all the doom threada... you guys started first with "omg, only 1.8 million sold! worst selling numbered FF ever! this game suck!"

Now Playing: Aion, Torchlight
intel i7+ Radeon HD5850, go PC!
Click sig for my collection

Photobucket
Message 22 of 53 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
870 posts

Feb 21, 2010

Or on Wii also, just avoidthe  PSP!

Avoid the PSP? Uh, God Eater is selling like hotcakes over there and last week, PSP was #1 on the charts.  PSP is actually very popular over in Japan because of games like Monster Hunter and God Eater.'

About the Wii, it's actually getting Dragon Quest X and as everyone knows by now, The Last Story is going on Wii as well.  Looks like Wii is the place to be for 2010-2011 JRPG's.

Message 23 of 53 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2532 posts

Feb 21, 2010

coffeerox wrote:

Or on Wii also, just avoidthe  PSP!

Avoid the PSP? Uh, God Eater is selling like hotcakes over there and last week, PSP was #1 on the charts.  PSP is actually very popular over in Japan because of games like Monster Hunter and God Eater.'

About the Wii, it's actually getting Dragon Quest X and as everyone knows by now, The Last Story is going on Wii as well.  Looks like Wii is the place to be for 2010-2011 JRPG's.

I like jrpg's but not enough to buy that console lmao

Message 24 of 53 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2096 posts

Feb 21, 2010

Monster Hunter is their only million seller...  Not crisis core, not dissidia...  God Eater will drop off very quickly also.

PSP was #1 in HW because DS has 3 iteration and they are counted separately.

According to Media Create

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

PSP 39.3k

PSPgo  1.4k

DSi LL 27.5k

DSi   18k

DSlite 5.6k

The HW isn't selling as poorly as in the US, still, that's hardly a consolation for Game Publishers when only 3 games sold over 1 million and they are all Monster Hunters follow by three SE property, FF Dissidia, FF crisis core an KH BBS. 

Anyway, I think unless publishers are going for primary Japanese frachise like gundam battles, they need to stay off the PSP.

and don't forget Xenoblade!

Photobucket
Message 25 of 53 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2096 posts

Feb 21, 2010

Truukk wrote:

I like jrpg's but not enough to buy that console lmao

Your loss...

Photobucket
Message 26 of 53 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2532 posts

Feb 21, 2010
:[ I know
Message 27 of 53 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
870 posts

Feb 21, 2010
PSP has 50 million install base. Comparing it to others, Wii has 67mil, Xbox has 38, PS3 31, DS 125mil.  There actually isn't any good reason not to put a game on PSP.  The ONLY reason is that the DS has more, at 125 million but I, as an amateur analyst knows that doesn't guarantee any sort of massive success.  Look at GTA:Chinatown Wars.  Critically acclaimed game but flopped big time.  You would think the 125 million people would grab it up in droves due to the amount of fans from the console series (and the great sales from the PSP versions)
Message 28 of 53 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2096 posts

Feb 21, 2010

Chinatown Wars sold 350k on the PSP.  (critical acclaim and a chance to show DS where the real gamers really aren't just didn't materialize heh?)  We can go into bieng a sortof late port, top down perspective etc etc, but the number, at the end, kind of tell the whole story.

It is in the numbers... PSP owners don't buy software.  Not in the US, not in Japan. I don't think there is really any argument...   Sure, install base dosn't equal automatic success, but as demonstrated by 3 relatively big hits by SE (again, Dissidia, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts BBS), titles other than Monster Hunter just don't sell in Japan.  (Numbers are boasted by GTA in world numbers).   

Photobucket
Message 29 of 53 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Feb 21, 2010
I just hope the game won't dissapoint.
mikoisepic