Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 25 2003
By: SeoulSnake Fender Bender 3658 posts

ffx-2 BIG flop

30 replies 6 views Edited Nov 25, 2003

over here in korea and japan this adolecent charged gamne has flopped soo hard, ppl seem soo mad that this has the ff logo on it, from what ive seen...i have to agree

but my thoughts aside, how do you feel about this game? some say its a good game but  worthy of the ff series....what are your thoughts on this latest addition to the game? good and bad

(btw im not bashing ff..im a huge fan,)

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Re: ffx-2 BIG flop

Nov 25, 2003

,seoulsnake wrote:

over here in korea and japan this adolecent charged gamne has flopped soo hard, ppl seem soo mad that this has the ff logo on it, from what ive seen...i have to agree

but my thoughts aside, how do you feel about this game? some say its a good game but  worthy of the ff series....what are your thoughts on this latest addition to the game? good and bad

to tell you the truth, when i heard that you would play barbie, and dress the "pop star", i was way turned off. don't get me wrong, i'm a big final fantasy geek,(that was why i purchased my first playstation ffvii), and the early reviews of the japanese version, i just didn't latch to this game. i havn't even picked up the box and read the back or nothing. yuk
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8478 posts

Nov 25, 2003

,seoulsnake wrote:

I personally enjoy the battle system, it pretty good. I'm not far enough to comment anything about the story though, but so far so good
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3753 posts

Nov 25, 2003

Don't like it. The biggest reason is that Square once again screwed the US out of the extras. I am getting a bit sick of Square's treating NA customers as second-class customers behind the rest of the world when we buy more of their cr*p than anyone else in the world.

I also don't like how short it is, and how small the cast is. The music SUCKS. Uematsu is a God, and the j-pop posers aren't even remotely good enough to share the same FF stage as him. It's the shortest FF soundtrack ever, and there's nothing memorable about it. I loved playing it (Japanese version) seeing Rikku and Paine regularly give you peeps of their thongs while changing, only for die-hard fanboys tell me it's not a girl game selling on sex appeal to teen boys when it clearly is. Square execs themselves openly admitted only making this game to get another FF title out while spending as little money as possible, and it really does show to me. If Square produces another game like this, then I really won't care if they jump to another console, because I won't be buying their stuff either way.

Message Edited by Zod on 11-25-2003 06:42 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Nov 25, 2003

,Zod wrote:

Don't like it. The biggest reason is that Square once again screwed the US out of the extras. I am getting a bit sick of Square's treating NA customers as second-class customers behind the rest of the world when we buy more of their cr*p than anyone else in the world.

I also don't like how short it is, and how small the cast is. The music SUCKS. Uematsu is a God, and the j-pop posers aren't even remotely good enough to share the same FF stage as him. It's the shortest FF soundtrack ever, and there's nothing memorable about it. I loved playing it (Japanese version) seeing Rikku and Paine regularly give you peeps of their thongs while changing, only for die-hard fanboys tell me it's not a girl game selling on sex appeal to teen boys when it clearly is. Square execs themselves openly admitted only making this game to get another FF title out while spending as little money as possible, and it really does show to me. If Square produces another game like this, then I really won't care if they jump to another console, because I won't be buying their stuff either way.

Message Edited by Zod on 11-25-2003 06:42 AM

how true is that. btw if you play the game for like 10 min you find out that the popstar was an imposter, like yuna would actually put on a concert? you shouldnt judge a book by its cover, shouldnt judge a game by its hype. well after the 10 min you start to see that this doesnt really have the final fantasy magic, i think this game was put out so we would be quiet until ffxii comes out.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3753 posts

Nov 25, 2003
On the bright side, Uematsu-san returns to do the full soundtrack to XII, which he hasn't done since last-gen's FF-IX.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7838 posts

Nov 25, 2003

,seoulsnake wrote:

I'm surprised it would be Japan saying a game is too "adolescent."

I personaly think the game is fine. Some people just take their games, especially RPG's too serious. I just take X-2 for what it is.....a game. It was meant to be nothing else but fun, and I would have to say, for my part, it has accomplished that. Yes the dialogue is somewhat cheesy at times, but the overall game is a lot of fun to play.

-Griever_08

http://goo.gl/SjUkM
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7036 posts

Nov 25, 2003
I like the scene when they're in the hot spring..if you guys play that stage, you would know what happen there
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10751 posts

Nov 25, 2003

,s0v3r1gn wrote:

...i think this game was put out so we would be quiet until ffxii comes out.

Though I haven't played FFX-2 yet (I only played the demo), the premise of it--girls being girls--didn't appeal to me at all.  The last time Square threw us a bone like this was when they put out FFIX in lieu of actually putting out a title for the PS2.  FFIX was supposed to hold us over 'til FFX came out.  A shame FFX didn't make up for the lack of quality in FFIX. 

And now you're alleging that Square is at it again, putting out a fluffy game just to occupy us until they release their next "quality" game.  While there is some financial sense to this tactic, what I don't think they realize is that we are paying attention, and if they put out enough garbage inbetween the quality, we aren't gonna be all that quick to run out and buy the quality games.  We also won't be telling anyone who will listen that the Final Fantasy series is outstanding through n' through the way we used to.  Now, we're left saying, "There are some good games in the FF series...but not all of them are worth looking at."  This is how I see it anyway.

FFXII is going to have to be a smashing blockbuster that reaches all levels of gamers--not just the little kids, not just the old timers, but everyone.  It must be inclusive of all gamers, must offer something for everyone to relate to, otherwise I think FFXII may be the beginning of the end for Final Fantasy.  Speaking as an adult gamer who has followed and bought the series from the first NA release, if Square releases yet another "teens save the world" game, I suppose it will be time for me to move on.  Enough already!  It's gamers like me who helped build this market in the first place.  Square has all but abandoned us in favor of the quick buck, churning out kiddie game after kiddie game.  If they don't give me some quality soon they'll be losing more than they think.  Shamelessly marketing games to whatever the current teen demographic is cannot sustain the company for long.  Eventually even these kids are gonna grow up and want something more.  That's my opinion.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5945 posts

Nov 25, 2003

,maricam wrote:

,s0v3r1gn wrote:

...i think this game was put out so we would be quiet until ffxii comes out.

Though I haven't played FFX-2 yet (I only played the demo), the premise of it--girls being girls--didn't appeal to me at all.  The last time Square threw us a bone like this was when they put out FFIX in lieu of actually putting out a title for the PS2.  FFIX was supposed to hold us over 'til FFX came out.  A shame FFX didn't make up for the lack of quality in FFIX. 

And now you're alleging that Square is at it again, putting out a fluffy game just to occupy us until they release their next "quality" game.  While there is some financial sense to this tactic, what I don't think they realize is that we are paying attention, and if they put out enough garbage inbetween the quality, we aren't gonna be all that quick to run out and buy the quality games.  We also won't be telling anyone who will listen that the Final Fantasy series is outstanding through n' through the way we used to.  Now, we're left saying, "There are some good games in the FF series...but not all of them are worth looking at."  This is how I see it anyway.

FFXII is going to have to be a smashing blockbuster that reaches all levels of gamers--not just the little kids, not just the old timers, but everyone.  It must be inclusive of all gamers, must offer something for everyone to relate to, otherwise I think FFXII may be the beginning of the end for Final Fantasy.  Speaking as an adult gamer who has followed and bought the series from the first NA release, if Square releases yet another "teens save the world" game, I suppose it will be time for me to move on.  Enough already!  It's gamers like me who helped build this market in the first place.  Square has all but abandoned us in favor of the quick buck, churning out kiddie game after kiddie game.  If they don't give me some quality soon they'll be losing more than they think.  Shamelessly marketing games to whatever the current teen demographic is cannot sustain the company for long.  Eventually even these kids are gonna grow up and want something more.  That's my opinion.

Basically, you are right the game is a tie-over until XI or XII is out for PS2 (well, we know XI is already out on PC).  This sequal to X is not has facinating as the original was.  So far to me I can definately say that I enjoyed X far better.  You are only limited in the number of characters you can use. The graphics are a little better but things that you're use to doing in X you cannot do in X-2.  I can see the why the japanese side of the the gaming world would be a little disappointment.  An All girl cast?  The only guys in the game are those who accompany the villan and nonplayables with the girls?  Not saying that I hate it being all girl but I would have preferred that some playables be male.  And instead of you just going and fighting the bad guys and following a straight stroyline, you have more side quest type gaming, to obtain things you need.  I really don't dislike the game but I just dislike some of the major changes in the aspects of the game.  The only purpose in the story is to find Tidus.  In X you had multiple accomplishments, beat Sin, Tidus finding out about his father, Yuna decision of being a Summoner or to be normal.  There were different aspects to X than just one purpose...  I think this game should be the same.  Now this is only my initial observation of this game not final.  Once I have played it I may post my own personal review of the game without spoilers...

For technical support (including DISK READ ERRORS) call: 1-800-345-SONY.
New to the world of the PS boards? Check out the "NEW USER GUIDE"

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes